Divorce Your Car --and get into a relationship with a Bike!

Old August 3rd 06, 01:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
Brent P

Default environmentally insane and wasteful

In article , Bill Sornson wrote:
Brent P wrote:

But I see you've been reduced to such trivial snipes.

DON'T ANY OF YOU MENSAS KNOW HOW TO TRIM YOUR POSTS?!?

When I am the only one trimming, eventually I stop bothering.

Old August 3rd 06, 02:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Edward Dolan

Default I think we need a smarter president

"Tim McNamara" wrote in message
In article ,
"Edward Dolan" wrote:

"Tim McNamara" wrote in message
... [...]

[newsgroups trimmed]

Human progress is continuous despite the misguided efforts of some
conservatives to prevent it and to keep us trapped in the
Eisenhower Years.

Those were golden years following our victories in W.W.II. It has
been all downhill ever since. America is being eroded and destroyed
by multiculturalism. I blame liberalism for all our woes. Yea, we
will never see such a golden age again as those Eisenhower years.

The Golden Age was document on TV in such classics as "Father Knows
Best." Unfortunately the reality of those Golden Years was rather
different, but conservatism likes its sepia colored glasses.

Think this country could fight another conflict today like W.W.II? I think
that just about says it all!

Human progress is anything but continuous. I have never read anything
so asinine in my life.

Cheers to you too, Ed (and fellow Minnesotan). You fail to understand
that history has controlling trends, and that conservatism is constantly
fighting a rearguard action that it is doomed to lose. That you choose
to blame liberalism for all our woes just shows that you're an idiot.

We had nothing but Democratic liberals in power for like 50 years after
W.W.II. Thank God we have recently had some Republicans in charge. Any one
like to see Gore or Kerry in charge of the War on Islam?

It took a Newt Gingrich to clean up the Democratic liberal mess in
Washington. I hope he runs for President in 2008.

By the way, here it is again as I know Minnesota liberals like you never get
anything the first time around:

"Human progress is anything but continuous. I have never read anything
so asinine in my life." - Ed Dolan

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

Old August 3rd 06, 02:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Edward Dolan

"dgk" wrote in message
On Tue, 01 Aug 2006 23:44:48 -0500, Tim McNamara
wrote:

In article ,
"Edward Dolan" wrote:

[...]

Umm. That's one of many things that shows that he's an idiot.
Referring to yourself as "The Great" would suffice for me.

Great is a relative term which I use on Usenet since everyone else here,
including you, are nothing but Lilliputians. In the land of the blind, the
one-eyed man is king.

Old August 3rd 06, 02:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Edward Dolan

"Johnny Sunset aka Tom Sherman" wrote in message
ups.com...

Tim McNamara wrote:
In article ,
"Edward Dolan" wrote:

[...]

Tim,

You seem to have overlooked the possibility that Mr. Ed Dolan the Grate
is not an idiot, but merely incorrigible provocateur.

There are no greater liberal numskulls in the entire nation than those from
Minnesota. I saddens me that someone with such a good Irish name as McNamara
is one of them. He probably reads the StarTribune (Minneapolis) and so has
been brainwashed and is now good for nothing except spouting liberal
nonsense.

Hey, how about that bit of his about history being on a continuous
progressive roll. He should maybe read some history instead of the
despicable StarTribune to get a clue about how cyclical history really is.
But it is always liberals like him who are living in the moment who think
nonsense like this. We conservatives know better.

Old August 3rd 06, 02:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Edward Dolan

"Peter Clinch" wrote in message
Johnny Sunset aka Tom Sherman wrote:

You seem to have overlooked the possibility that Mr. Ed Dolan the Grate
is not an idiot, but merely incorrigible provocateur.

There is another distinctly possible hypothesis: that he is both an
incorrigible provocateur *and* an idiot.

How would Clinch know anything at all about me. He kill filed me long ago
and now reads only what others quote in their messages. Since he does not
read my messages, he is not qualified to have an opinion.

Old August 3rd 06, 04:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
donquijote1954

Default WHERE'S THE POLITICAL WILL?

Matthew Russotto wrote:
So, if it's public transit it's welfare, but if it's spent on roads for
automobiles it's a wise infrastructure decision? Hmmm, curious.

The money for roads largely comes from drivers. The money for buses
and rail largely comes from (wait for it....) drivers.
result in a fully-depreciated one.

The more people ride public transportation and bikes, the fewer the
cars. And that is a welcome relief for drivers sitting in rush hour.
Unless they enjoy sitting there and listening to Rush Limbaugh...

Old August 3rd 06, 04:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
donquijote1954

Default "Just a goddamned piece of paper"

RJ wrote:
donquijote1954 wrote:

RJ wrote:
Well, see. "We the People" could be riding bikes, but "they, our
political representatives" don' t make it happen. So we got a problem
with them, no?

Not me. Almost certainly not a majority. There you are.

They represent the status quo, Big Oil and SUVs. Money gets them to
power, money is their choice when taking decisions.

You have a problem with them. Most people don't.

Not if you look the other way or if you are at the top of the food
chain. Things look different when you are a carnivore than when you are
vegetarian monkey. You know, monkeys got to keep jumping all the time,
never coming down to where the lion is, just to survive. But hey, wait
a minute, THIS IS A DEMOCRACY, I thought the lions should be in cages
and the monkeys roaming free.

Old August 3rd 06, 04:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
donquijote1954

RJ wrote:
Only reality check. Look around and see how "We the People" is doing.
Not bike lanes,

Newsflash: "we the people" don't care about bike lanes.

Why should they care about it, if they don't even know that bike lanes
are a reality of life in places like Holland, and how much they could
save that way, and how healthy they could be, and all they do is vote
for the big fish's agenda.

Old August 3rd 06, 04:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Edward Dolan

"Bill Baka" wrote in message
Edward Dolan wrote:
"Tim McNamara" wrote in message
[...]

[newsgroups trimmed]

Human progress is continuous despite the misguided efforts of
some conservatives to prevent it and to keep us trapped in the
Eisenhower Years.

Those were golden years following our victories in W.W.II. It has been
all downhill ever since. America is being eroded and destroyed by
multiculturalism. I blame liberalism for all our woes. Yea, we will never
see such a golden age again as those Eisenhower years.

Human progress is anything but continuous. I have never read anything so
asinine in my life.

I was going to stay out of this flame war but for once I have to agree
with Dolan.
Sorry, but he is right.
Bill Baka

Thanks for the endorsement!

Bill, there is no flame war going on, just the usual to and fro of men
arguing with one another. There seem to be so many on these newsgroups who
do not like argument. I know that you and I do.

They ought to appreciate us more than they do because we prevent these
groups from dying of boredom. Boredom has killed more newsgroups than
everything else put together. Even flame wars are not a bad thing as long as
everyone keeps their cool. I have noticed that you do keep your cool just as
I do no matter how hot our language gets.

By the way, I enjoy reading how you and Brickston go after one another on
RBM. You guys can really get funny at times. Brickston is good humored and
you should be too. I wish I had a foil like him. Instead, I am stuck with
Jimbo who tends to be longwinded and boring even though he writes well.

Old August 3rd 06, 04:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
Baxter

-
Free software - Baxter Codeworks www.baxcode.com

"Floyd Rogers" wrote in message
"Dane Buson" wrote

As I understand it, more of the money comes from incomes taxes, sales
taxes and property taxes. i.e., from *everyone*, not just drivers. If
anything, it would seem to me that drivers are being subsidized in many
cases by non-drivers.

You are absolutely wrong. At least in WA state, all road construction
and maintenance comes entirely from gas tax, vehicle license fees,
truck road use fees and such (this also supports our ferry system.
By the state constitution, gas taxes can ONLY be used for roads - no
transit.) There is some use of tolls (new Narrows bridge for instance.)

The fact that gas tax money can only be spent on roads does not mean that
only gas tax money is spent on roads.