Continental Ultra Sport tires

Old September 19th 18, 02:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Theodore Heise[_2_]

Default Continental Ultra Sport tires

Hi all,

I've used mostly Continental tires for over 20 years and nearly
100K miles of road riding. Recently I got a half dozen Ultra
Sports (700c x 25), and after putting a new on on the front
noticed a definite bounce as it rolls. I've tried three now, with
the same results. The wheel is very true and round, with no flat
spots.

This review includes a video that shows what miine look like:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-r...SIN=B00HPSCDBE

On top of that, they are damn hard to mount on the wheels! I've
met few tires I can't get onto the rim with just my hands, but
these are almost impossible to mount even with levers.

Is this a known problem with this model of tire? I've used the
Gand Prix and other models before--mabey have used the Ultra Sport
before, but don't keep close track.

Any suggestions are welcome.

--
Ted Heise West Lafayette, IN, USA
Old September 19th 18, 08:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
dave[_3_]

On Wed, 19 Sep 2018 01:40:46 +0000, Theodore Heise wrote:

Hi all,

I've used mostly Continental tires for over 20 years and nearly 100K
miles of road riding. Recently I got a half dozen Ultra Sports (700c x
25), and after putting a new on on the front noticed a definite bounce
as it rolls. I've tried three now, with the same results. The wheel is
very true and round, with no flat spots.

This review includes a video that shows what miine look like:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-r...2KFWEYREVBNBS/

ref=cm_cr_getr_d_rvw_ttl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B00HPSCDBE

On top of that, they are damn hard to mount on the wheels! I've met few
tires I can't get onto the rim with just my hands, but these are almost
impossible to mount even with levers.

Is this a known problem with this model of tire? I've used the Gand
Prix and other models before--mabey have used the Ultra Sport before,
but don't keep close track.

Any suggestions are welcome.

The bead is probably not seated right. I have the same problem with
Schwalbe 20 inch tires. The rim manufacturers and the tyre manufacturers
are just a dinkleberries in disagreement. I am on my third rim and tyre
combo. Still tight AF but will just fit.

Deflate the tyre. Lube up the bead with some soap. Inflate to "Holy
mother of god! How much?" PSI It may decide to pop into its seat properly.

Or it may not. Good luck.
--
davethedave
Old September 19th 18, 01:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Theodore Heise[_2_]

On Wed, 19 Sep 2018 07:33:24 -0000 (UTC),
dave wrote:
[...]

That's possible, but seems unlikely for *three* different tires
mounted at least five times. Also, I inspected the seating of the
tires pretty carefully, and there is no apparent difference in
tire placement around the rim. On top of all that, wouldn't the
bead either seat or blow out on riding for hundreds of miles?

--
Ted Heise West Lafayette, IN, USA
Old September 19th 18, 03:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

dave wrote:
[...]

Your options are a defective tire or a tire that is not beading. Some tire and rim combinations a just bad, and you can get a tire that will not bead without soaping, beating, prying, pumping, etc., etc. Untreated, the tire will not bead no matter how long you ride it. Ultra Sports are an unhappy combination on my Sun CR18 rim which has a shallow rim well. They're tight, but they do bead and are round. I quit using them because of poor sidewall durability. I never had one that was mismanufactured.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old September 19th 18, 05:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Theodore Heise[_2_]

dave wrote:
[...]

Thanks, Jay (and dave). I suppose there is some small chance that
I got a group of defective tires from a bad manufacturing run, but
the non-beading point does seem more likely. I should have added
that getting the tires off takes some active inward pushing to get
the bead out of the hook on the rim. In some spots, a surprising
amount of force is needed. So this too points to bead seating
problems.

I will try one of these tires on another bike with different rims,
see what I get, and report back.

It also seems like my best bet is to go with a different tire for
this bike. I'd like to stay with Conti's but don't want the
expense of the Grand Prix. Any suggestions?

--
Ted Heise West Lafayette, IN, USA
Old September 19th 18, 05:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

dave wrote:
[...]

Gatorskins for durability, although they can be tight, too -- and they have a pretty dead road feel. 4-Seasons for a great-but-expensive all weather tire. The 4-Seasons ride really well, but because of cost, I typically buy the Michelin Pro4 Endurance for a winter fast tire. The Michelin are consistently on close-out. Otherwise, its the GP. I think there are better deals on Michelin and other tires domestically.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old September 19th 18, 07:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

dave wrote:
[...]

Ted, this is quite easy to see - there is a line that would normally be showing above the rim edge. That is symmetrical so if that isn't showing in about the same height above the rim all the way around you've discovered your problem.
Old September 19th 18, 07:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

dave wrote:
[...]

You can use the Pro4 Endurance as tubeless tires. Continental presently isn't making a tubeless tire but they told me that they should be on the shelves in the spring.
Old September 20th 18, 01:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Theodore Heise[_2_]

dave wrote:
[...]

Thanks, Jay.

You can use the Pro4 Endurance as tubeless tires. Continental
presently isn't making a tubeless tire but they told me that
they should be on the shelves in the spring.

Not sure how this is relevant, I'm not interested in tubeless (nor
do I think the rims support such use).

--
Ted Heise West Lafayette, IN, USA
Old September 20th 18, 01:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Theodore Heise[_2_]

dave wrote:
[...]

Yes, that is my understanding too. In my earlier post, "there is
no apparent difference in tire placement around the rim" referred
to observation of this line--though I did not explicitly say so.

Is it possible for the bead to not be fully seated without showing
as a difference in the tire seam/markings' distance from the rim?

--
Ted Heise West Lafayette, IN, USA