road bike questions

Old October 9th 18, 08:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default road bike questions

On 2018-10-09 12:50, Emanuel Berg wrote:
Joerg wrote:

It's a) and b). a) is as I explained above,
you'd be conteracting the ratcheting of the
freehub a ltlle bit but likely too small to
even measure.

b) is the lion's share. Like a car's idling
enigine uses easily 5-10% of it's normal fuel
per hour, your legs will not be cranking free
of any losses. IOW, it makes absolutely no
sense to do this.

Again, I know it doesn't make sense to do in
terms of cycling. Everyone understands that,
even a 5 year old.

I understand about the "conteracting the
ratcheting of the freehub" but the question
remains, does it increase the speed, albeit
-infinitely small, the *normal* way?

What's the normal way?

Yes, it will increase the speed but it'll be miniscule. By reducing the
ratcheting effect a tiny bit, not by propelling.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old October 9th 18, 08:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

Joerg wrote:

Yes, it will increase the speed but it'll be
miniscule. By reducing the ratcheting effect
a tiny bit, not by propelling.

OK, so it doesn't! Why not?

But don't be stressed to answer, it is time to
drink a couple of beers and ride a bike...

Thanks for your answers!

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573
Old October 9th 18, 09:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2018-10-09 12:56, Emanuel Berg wrote:
Joerg wrote:

Yes, it will increase the speed but it'll be
miniscule. By reducing the ratcheting effect
a tiny bit, not by propelling.

OK, so it doesn't! Why not?

In the end it's all the same, whether you call it zero plus some
propelling or reduced drag plus no propelling.

But don't be stressed to answer, it is time to
drink a couple of beers and ride a bike...

Thanks for your answers!

Got to work but later this week I'll point my road bike west, throw in a
high gear and 30mi or 50km later there will be this:

https://s3-media1.fl.yelpcdn.com/bph...Z6ScRWhg/o.jpg

Old October 9th 18, 09:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Tuesday, October 9, 2018 at 12:42:57 PM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
On 10/9/2018 1:21 PM, Emanuel Berg wrote:
1) When you ride a road bike, should your upper
back/neck section be "concave", i.e.
just hang on the shoulders, or should it be
"convex", like an arc from one shoulder
to another?

-snip-

Or that sideways twisty thing like Patrick Sercu:

http://i0.wp.com/ciclismopassion.com...?fit=960%2C691

You need to ride like Steven Kruijswijk, the human coat-hanger. http://cdn.media.cyclingnews.com/201...tdw467_670.jpg

Or ride like Sagan and get the podium girls. But don't do this: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013...x615_large.jpg

-- Jay Beattie.
Old October 9th 18, 11:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 10/9/2018 4:11 PM, jbeattie wrote:

Or ride like Sagan and get the podium girls. But don't do this: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013...x615_large.jpg

Now he'll never be elected to congress. Or if he ever is elected, he'll
be drummed out of it.

https://metrouk2.files.wordpress.com...ze=644 %2C424

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old October 9th 18, 11:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 10/9/2018 4:09 PM, Joerg wrote:

Got to work but later this week I'll point my road bike west, throw in a
high gear and 30mi or 50km later there will be this:

https://s3-media1.fl.yelpcdn.com/bph...Z6ScRWhg/o.jpg

Joerg, if I had a friend who was fixated on beer as much as you are, I'd
tell him to seek help before he ends up on a place like this:
https://youtu.be/gDumWOjmQfI

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old October 10th 18, 12:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2018-10-09 15:29, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 10/9/2018 4:09 PM, Joerg wrote:

Got to work but later this week I'll point my road bike west, throw in
a high gear and 30mi or 50km later there will be this:

https://s3-media1.fl.yelpcdn.com/bph...Z6ScRWhg/o.jpg

Joerg, if I had a friend who was fixated on beer as much as you are, ...

The emphasis is on the pretzel here. However, I was born in Germany
where beer is considered basic nutrition. They even have a cyclist's beer.

https://www.americancraftbeer.com/wh...l-is-a-radler/

So do we:

https://capestylemag.com/wp-content/...es-696x592.jpg

There is nothing wrong with having a brewsky once in a while.

... I'd
tell him to seek help before he ends up on a place like this:
https://youtu.be/gDumWOjmQfI

I don't want to be a supreme court justice. They retire too late and
have little time to ride.

A riding friend told me about a group of kids. When asked what they'd
like to become the answers were like this:

Kid #1: I want to become a firefighter.

Kid #2: I want to become a train engineer.

Kid #3: I want to be forced into early retirement.

Old October 10th 18, 12:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 10/9/2018 3:22 PM, Emanuel Berg wrote:
Frank Krygowski wrote:

I'm curious: Have you ever read a book on the
fundamentals of bicycling? There are several we
could recommend. They might answer many of the
questions you keep raising.

I have read the following books. Except for
"Effective Cycling" (too boring) and
"Praktisch Fietsboek" (I don't speak Dutch, but
it has tons of illos so in a way have "read"
it).

%%%% bikes

@book{long-distance-cyclists-handbook,
author = {Simon Doughty},
ISBN = {0 7136 5819 3},
publisher = {A \& C Black},
title = {The Long Distance Cyclists' handbook},
year = 2001
}

@book{complete-road-bike-maintenance,
author = {Guy Andrews},
ISBN = {978 1 4081 7093 9},
publisher = {Bloomsbury},
title = {Complete Road Bike Maintenance},
year = 2013
}

@book{en-cyklo-pedi,
author = {Johan Tell},
ISBN = {978-91-1-307337-8},
publisher = {Nordstedt},
title = {En cyklo pedi},
year = 2016
}

@book{effective-cycling,
author = {John Forester},
ISBN = {978-0-262-51694-5},
publisher = {Cambridge},
title = {Effective Cycling},
year = 2012
}

@book{bike,
author = {Daniel Benson and Richard Moore},
ISBN = 9781781312346,
publisher = {Aurum},
title = {Bike! A Tribute to the World's Greatest Cycling Designers},
year = 2014
}

@book{cykelbok,
author = {Staffan Skott},
ISBN = {91-550-3942-1},
publisher = {Tiden},
title = {Cykelbok},
year = 1994
}

@book{praktisch-fietsboek,
author = {Rob van der Plas},
ISBN = {90 274 9848 2},
publisher = {Spectrum},
title = {Praktisch Fietsboek},
year = 1984
}

I had in mind something like this:
https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Boo...-srp1-_-title1

_Richard's 21st Century Bicycle Book_ by Richard Ballantine is his third
or fourth version of his book on bikes. It covers lots of fundamentals -
types of bikes, a bit of history, choices of equipment, riding safely
and well, plus some basic maintenance. It's a pretty good read, a way to
move your knowledge up from the most basic level. (Which is not to say I
agree with everything in the book.)

I also think you could learn by reading something more general, like this:
https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Boo...-srp1-_-title3

It's full of explanations of common devices, written in an engaging way.
I think books like this give good background for understanding
mechanical things in general.

And there are books that attempt to teach very basic workshop
techniques. Those aren't as good as learning from some competent
mechanic, but they're better than nothing. They're also better than
trial and error.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old October 10th 18, 12:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 2018-10-09 15:29, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 10/9/2018 4:09 PM, Joerg wrote:

Got to work but later this week I'll point my road bike west, throw in
a high gear and 30mi or 50km later there will be this:

https://s3-media1.fl.yelpcdn.com/bph...Z6ScRWhg/o.jpg

Joerg, if I had a friend who was fixated on beer as much as you are, ...

The emphasis is on the pretzel here. However, I was born in Germany
where beer is considered basic nutrition. They even have a cyclist's beer.

https://www.americancraftbeer.com/wh...l-is-a-radler/

So do we:

https://capestylemag.com/wp-content/...es-696x592.jpg

There is nothing wrong with having a brewsky once in a while.

I agree. But it's a bad symptom when someone works beer into the
conversation every day, and portrays it as a necessary part of his life.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old October 10th 18, 12:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joy Beeson

On Tue, 09 Oct 2018 11:55:54 -0700, Joerg
wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OrKLGEOVRA

OMC! That guy isn't wearing a helmet!

--
Joy Beeson, U.S.A., mostly central Hoosier,
some Northern Indiana, Upstate New York, Florida, and Hawaii

---
https://www.avg.com