Cleaning Glue off of Tire Sidewalls?

Old June 4th 05, 07:31 AM

Default Cleaning Glue off of Tire Sidewalls?

On Sat, 04 Jun 2005 06:07:44 GMT, Michael Press
wrote:

[This was Jobst:]
The papers appear to me to be academic in nature.

[This was Mike:
You disparage a paper that _you_ cited. I copy the initial portion
of the posted message that you used to cite the paper
that you disparage.

[This was Jobst:]

This is the same old story we've been hearing every year throughout
the days when people still rode tubulars. It's only how much you
believe the ad copy.

[This was SS, who cited the paper:]

I don't read ad copy, I don't buy cycling mags. Does anyone actually
advertise tubular glues? I am basing my "story" on the testing shown
at:

http://www.engr.ku.edu/~ktl/bicycle/bicycle.html

Dear Michael,

I think that you're mistaken here.

It was SS who wrote that he didn't read ad copy or buy
cycling mags, but instead based his theories about glue on
the paper, to which he then added a link.

The link provided by SS was promptly disparaged by Jobst,
who also included a long excerpt from one of the papers,
prefaced by criticism.

It's a long thread with long interspersed posts, so
confusion is understandable. (And I hope that I'm right and
not confused!)

Carl Fogel
Old June 4th 05, 09:12 AM
Michael Press

wrote:

[...]

What exactly have I mistaken?
We agree about the train of events as far as you
have recounted them.
Perhaps you have not considered the message
to which I replied, in which SSTW himself
disparages a paper that he cited.

Here is the chain of postings.
.com
in which SSTW cites the papers

in which JB quotes from one of the papers.

. com
in which SSTW disparages the paper as "academic",
a paper that SSTW first cited in support of his thesis.

It is the remark in this message upon which I comment.
You can look it up. Here are the full headers.

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Cleaning Glue off of Tire Sidewalls?
Date: 3 Jun 2005 10:36:28 -0700

. com

.com

.com

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech

. com

.com

.com

.com
Date: Fri, 03 Jun 2005 18:45:57 GMT

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: 3 Jun 2005 14:42:40 -0700

. com

.com

.com

.com

Michael Press
Old June 4th 05, 09:27 AM
Sandy

Dans le message de
,
What exactly have I mistaken?
We agree about the train of events as far as you
have recounted them.
Perhaps you have not considered the message
to which I replied, in which SSTW himself
disparages a paper that he cited.

. com
in which SSTW disparages the paper as "academic",
a paper that SSTW first cited in support of his thesis.

It may not be a disparagement. Not all people disparage the academe. Some,
however have a blunted sensibility to it.
--
Bonne route,

Sandy
Verneuil-sur-Seine FR

Old June 4th 05, 02:12 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

Roger Marquis wrote:
Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
Some porus base tapes don't need a dry layer of glue applied to them
beforehand. The Deda Olimpico (my favorite racing tire) is one of
those. Just put a light layer on the rim, let it set for 20 to 40
minutes, and mount the tire.

Insanity!!

Really tho, one light layer onto the rim and none on the tire=tire roll.

In ~32 years of riding tubulars daily (having switched to and from
clinchers 3 times) I've yet to pre-glue a base tape. Only once in
that time have I had a problem with adhesion and that was with a
Clement Criterium Cotton which had a thick layer of slick latex over
its base tape.

The only reason pre-glueing base tape may be prudent, and then only
with certain porus/unsealed base tapes, is so the solvent fumes from
drying rim glue doesn't compromise the tire-to-base tape adhesion.
It has nothing to do with tire-to-rim adhesion.

If you are paranoid, and do pre-glue base tapes, be sure to use a
_very_ thin layer. Too much glue is worse than too little. It's
like solder in that you only need enough to fill the gap.

--
Roger Marquis
http://www.roble.net/marquis/

Not paranoid at all, just using a wee bit of common sense. A couple of
light layers of glue onto the tire does no harm and is in keeping with
common sense when gluing anything to anything else. Glue both surfaces.

But do what you wish. As a wrench who also rides tubies, who has never
had one of mine roll, I will continue the method I have used for 20
years.

Old June 4th 05, 07:49 PM

On Sat, 04 Jun 2005 08:12:10 GMT, Michael Press
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

[snip several pages of headers that provide three links]

Dear Michael,

Here's how I read the exchange: Jobst vaguely accused the
glue papers of dishonest commercial motives, and SS replied
that no, the papers seem to be purely academic.

[Here's Jobst disparaging the glue papers, claiming that he
sensed that they were "covering their liability"--Jobst has
a paranoid habit of "sensing" dark motives:]

Besides, the articles in the above web site should
mainly convince readers that they do not want to partake in these
arcane and time consuming rituals. I sense that they are trying to
say something useful while covering their liability, the latter being
the main thrust.

[Here's SS pointing out that the papers are obviously
academic and implying that they therefore have no motive for
"covering their liability"--SS is not disaparaging the
papers as being ivory-tower or impractical, just
contradicting Jobst's foolish comment that they were the
product of dishonest commercial motives.]

The papers appear to me to be academic in nature.

Again, I can see how the brief line could be misread, since
"academic" is often a disparaging term, but in context Jobst
is the one disparaging the glue papers as being the result
of wicked commercial motives, while SS is saying that they
look like honest academic research.

Carl Fogel
Old August 2nd 05, 07:59 AM
Jasper Janssen

On Sat, 04 Jun 2005 08:12:10 GMT, Michael Press wrote:

Perhaps you have not considered the message
to which I replied, in which SSTW himself
disparages a paper that he cited.

[..]
in which SSTW disparages the paper as "academic",
a paper that SSTW first cited in support of his thesis.

The fact that you think 'academic' is a disparagement says more about you
than about anyone else.

Jasper