Look or SPD pedals?

Old July 22nd 05, 02:16 PM
colocraig

Default Look or SPD pedals?

I have been using SPD pedals on the road with excellent results. I
have a pair of the Shimano sandals and they work fine on the bike and
are quite comfortable and cool when walking. Shimano also makes a
shoe, model SH-TO92, that is a traditional looking road shoe with
recessed SPD cleat. I also have a pair of these and like them a lot
for longer/faster rides. All-in-all, the SPD system is quite flexible
and works well for me.

Old July 22nd 05, 04:19 PM
Tom Reingold

Jeff Starr wrote:

Supposedly the Looks have a tendency to squeek, the Shimano SPD-SL
road pedals that I have, don't squeek at all.

Others have mentioned the recessed benefits of SPD.

I went from Pearl Izumi road shoes, that only came in whole sizes to
Sidi Genius 4s which come in half sizes, also in narrow and wide. The
Sidis are really comfortable, but not cheap.
Consider joining Team Performance and also look for one of their 20%
off online coupons. I got mine marked down from $229 to $170 -20% -
10%[towards future purchase] = appr $122

Life is Good!
Jeff

Looks don't squeak for me.

I can't buy shoes online. I have to try them on first. My feet are
shaped very oddly, so most shoes hurt. And I have to try them for a long
time, too. The nice thing is that my local bike shop will let me ride on
a trainer for a half hour to try some shoes out, so I'll do that.
Besides, I prefer supporting local businesses whenever possible, even if
it costs a bit more. Not that I have totally sworn off mail-ordering.

Sounds like SPD's are the way to go.

Is there a distinction between SPD road pedals and SPD mountain pedals?
Or is there just one type?

One thing that would be nice and is not likely to come around soon is
pedals that go on and off the bike easily. I have a few bikes but I
don't want to spend money on pedals for all of them.

Thanks again.

--
Tom Reingold
Noo Joizy
Old July 22nd 05, 04:22 PM
Tom Reingold

wrote:
Tom Reingold wrote:

I've been riding Look pedals for several years now. Time to get new
shoes. The shoes I have been using never were right for me. They make my
feet numb. After 30 miles, it becomes a bad problem. (snip)

I see there now exist sandals with SPD cleats. That seems like an
attractive idea.

The straps on sandals look too much like toe straps to me, although I
rode in a weekly group ride where a regular or two used SPD sandals and
liked them.

Quick guess, your shoes are sized too narrow for you. Did you start
riding with leather shoes, bought tight so they would stretch to fit?
I've learned at long last that the toe area can be nice and loose,
while the top (ankle) strap is adjusted to stabilize the foot and keep
the toes from jamming forward. Getting over the old myth that cycling
shoes have to fit tight to "transmit power".

I usually run the two toe-area straps on my Sidis (Genius III, IV)
loose; the other day I snugged them up for some reason (??) and shortly
thereafter, guess what...? Comfort returned with a loosening. I've
ridden a few long days recently, including a Century, and some of my
rides are at (well past) the limits of my ability (old racers club),
never a rubbing (blister) problem at all, BTW.

I like the "clicker" Sidi top strap, as it makes it easy to do a quick,
controlled tightening as the shoe loosens up during a ride. But the
brand is not important compared to the fit. Shoes are ex$spsive in the
FLBS but worth it to get something you can enjoy riding in.

From my very limited sampling, there aren't any "perfect" shoes/cleat

systems/pedals. Just more reason to get the shoe that fits first. Happy
hunting. --TP

You're right. They're too narrow. My feet are not extraordinarily wide
at the widest point (the ball), but they are wider at the toes than most
people's feet. I have trouble finding walking shoes that fit, too. One
big trouble is that I try shoes on in the store for a while, they feel
fine, I buy them, wear them a while, then realize they're too small.
Nowadays, I test them for 30 minutes before buying, to be cautious.

Tom
Old July 22nd 05, 05:19 PM
Dan Lenski

Tom Reingold wrote:
Alex Rodriguez wrote:
In article .com,
says...

The only downside I've heard of is that the smaller platform of an SPD
pedal may create an uncomfortable hot spot on the bottom of your foot.
I haven't experienced this, then again I haven't done much 50 miles
on SPDs in a day.

I never understood why people think a small pedal would cause this problem.
If you have road cycling shoes, then the sole should be very stiff. So
the small difference in pedal size from Look to SPD should not feel different
with a reasonably stiff soled shoe.
---------------------
Alex

True, but there should be a limit to stiffness. Stiffness makes the
pedaling efficient, but the drawback is that it can cause numbness. I
bought these shoes in about 1987, and I understand that shoe makers have
backed off a bit on stiffness because of this.

I *have* noticed that when I ride w/the SPDs, it feels like I am
pressing on a smaller area than w/the Looks. But this is probably more
a function of the shoe than the pedal: my SPD shoes are casual-looking
shoes designed for comfortable walking, while my road shoes are super
stiff.

Well, anyway, thanks guys for all your help. I just ordered those
inexpensive off-brand SPD pedals from Nashbar. I will probably buy shoes
from my local bike shop. Maybe I'll get those sandals. I don't know yet.

And maybe my daughter can use my old Look pedals, but I'm not sure that
makes sense. SPD's seem like a better bet if she wants to get cleats at all.

Tom

I think SPDs are just great all around. I would recommend them for
anything other than racing use, and then only because I haven't tried
it yet :-)

Old July 22nd 05, 05:24 PM
C.J.Patten

Tom,

I recently stumbled across a "removable pedal," ostensibly for folding
bikes.

I can't find the link but some Googling should turn it up. It seemed to have
a small insert that went into the crank and acted as a receiver for a
counterpart on the pedal.

I wonder if the mechanism could be swapped into a SPD or other pedal...?

Old July 22nd 05, 05:40 PM
Chris Nelson

Stan Cox wrote:
There are new look cleats with white areas impregnated with teflon or
similar designed to eliminate the squeaking. Otherwise the occasional
squirt of furniture polish onto the cleats keeps them nice & quiet.

Interesting, at least they are trying to solve the problem. I heard
they came up with a new pedal also, but with a new incompatible cleat
that is supposed to be quieter.

I used to use Silicone and ArmorAll to shut those puppies up, worked
pretty good but needed to be reapplied which was no biggie unless I
forgot.

Chris

Old July 22nd 05, 05:48 PM
Chris Nelson

Is there a distinction between SPD road pedals and SPD mountain pedals?
Or is there just one type?

There are SPD(mountain), SPD-R(road) and SPD-SL(which stands for
"Similar to Look")

I think most people who responded are referring to SPD(mountain) or
just plain old SPD.

Chris