James Schauer bicycle/canoe trip

Old January 26th 08, 02:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc, rec.bicycles.rides
Ron Wallenfang

Default James Schauer bicycle/canoe trip

Pardon the interruption, but I have a post about bicycle riding.

My sister, who lives in the Florida panhandle, recently encountered a
59 guy named James Schauer who is on one of the more unusual trips
I've ever heard about. Schauer's trip was written up in their local
paper and this account is taken from there.

The most unusual aspect is the baggage: 300 pounds worth, including a
canoe, and a solar panel, and enough gear that he's only stayed in a
motel two nights since leaving the St. Louis area in Sept. He is
doing a mixed bicycle/canoe trip from St. Louis to Ft. Meyers, then
intends to go north to Maine and from there, west to Minnesota.

Depending on the routes he's picked, and his intention to use the
Intercoastal Waterway and adjacent roads and paths, he may manage to
avoid big climbs for a long time. but I don't see how he can get much
past Philadelphia or so without running into some pretty big climbs
for a guy carrying 300 pound of gear.

Does anyone know of people who have carried a heavier load on a long
trip? I've encountered many cross-country riders on my various trips,
and have yet to see one with over about 100 lbs.
Old January 26th 08, 04:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc, rec.bicycles.rides
cmcanulty

Anyone have his email or contact info?

Old January 27th 08, 02:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc, rec.bicycles.rides
Ron Wallenfang

On Jan 26, 10:04 am, cmcanulty wrote:
Anyone have his email or contact info?

Here's the entire newspaper article. when I tried googling his name
and "canoe", that's all that came up.

Traveler on a quest for a simpler life
Joyce Owen
January 17, 2008 3:15 PM
James Schauer along side his bicycle/canoe in Seaside.
When James Schauer hooked his canoe to his bike for a cross country
trip, his goal wasn't to raise money or promote a cause, but to seek a
simpler lifestyle.
When compared to others who journey with nothing more than a backpack
and map, Schauer went high-tech for his trip. Looking like he has all
his worldly possessions with him, Schauer tows a full size canoe, with
a GPS device and solar panel.
Schauer, a semi-retired IBM programmer, left St. Louis, Mo., in
September. To facilitate his travel, he devised a unique bicycle
trailer hitch to haul his canoe.
"I got the design for the hitch off the Internet. It allows the bike
to move and the rider to lean freely," he said.
The canoe is an integral part of his travels as he plans to pick up
the Intercoastal Waterway in Fort Myers, Fla. and alternate between
paddling and bicycling on his way to Maine.
When he arrived in Seaside last week, Schauer had traveled through
Arkansas, Mississippi and Alabama and was impressed with the
friendliness of the people he met.
"I'm a stranger for about five minutes as I talk with people. They've
offered meals, money and overnight accommodations," he said.
But Schauer, who trailers about 300 pounds of gear including camping
equipment, clothes and spare parts for the bicycle, has only spent two
nights in motels.
"I didn't skimp on camping equipment," he said. "I got top of the line
stuff."
With the solar panel to charge batteries for his electrical devices,
he considers himself to be environmentally friendly. He doesn't have a
TV or radio and gets his news and "stays connected" using free WiFi
spots.
After visiting Maine, he plans to head west to Minnesota for some
fishing, but Schauer said he's flexible.
"I can stop any time I want," he said. "The main thing is I wanted to
simplify my life. I wanted to meet people. I have no car, no house,
I'm 59 and I wanted to go while I could."

I wish he could be contacted and would pst periodic reports to this
newsgroup. He sure has my interest!!