caribbean bicycling opportunities?

Old January 27th 08, 09:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
John Michaels

Default caribbean bicycling opportunities?

"phil" wrote in message
Looking to spend 5-7 days on either Puerto Rico, Jamaica, Guadeloupe,
Aruba or Antigua. Would like to spend part of that time cycling,
either around the island or from a home base. I don't hear much about
cycling in this part of the world. Any suggestions/experiences? Open
to other islands, but not to a "all-downhill" or super touristy
experience. Prefer road to mountain biking. Would also appreciate any
ideas on bike rentals.

Since you mentioned Puerto Rico, I know they have a very active cycling club
on the island. The folks were very friendly. We stayed in the same hotel
during PBP and took the same tours. I know they are hosting a full brevet
series and their web site talk about touring lighthouses. Their web site is
http://www.sanjuancyclingclub.com/ Use Google or something like it to
translate the page as their web site is in Spanish.