nexus inter-7 hub

Old June 15th 05, 10:11 AM
merryfreakinxmas

Default nexus inter-7 hub

Hiya
I went to the lbs the other day to talk to the owner about three
problems i am having with the tailwind, he has a custom frame shop. the 3
problems a braking, flat handlebar - which bothers my wrist, and low
speed instability.

I asked about getting a disk brake for the rear. He said it wouldn't work on
a tailwind. He suggested a brake that he uses on a bent he recently built
for himself. The nexus roller brake. He is looking into getting a freehub
version but according to shimano's site they don't sell that one anymore.

So I may have to go with the internal gear 7 speed. I didn't like the sach
3x7 that came with a rans wave about 7 years ago. I am hoping there have
been improvments to the technology. I found the 3x7 to have a hugh amount of
drag - it felt like i was towing someone around all day. and the high gear
was even worse.

I don't like the limited gear range, according to shimano it is the equivant
of 32-13 tooth cogs. But I can use any size chainrings I want. For awhile I
had 24,42,62 on the tailwind with a modified front derailleur. The shifting
on the front was pretty good but there was a problem with chain wrap on
granny gear. Should be fine with only one cog to deal with on the rear.

The gear range with a 20t cog and 24,42,62 rings will be 15 to 95 gear
inches. But the cog can be changed to something smaller, I think 16t is the
smallest.

I also asked him about trail then I found excellent advice on this group.
His answer was to contact rans and maybe they have a fork that could solve
the problem. But recently, after switching the bars to a wider curved bar
and using one hand on the slow uphills there is an increase in low speed
stability.

Now the handlebars, i replicated rans new curved b-36 bars with off the
shelf parts. a mtb stem and aluminum retro crusier bars. $46 cdn versus
$56us plus shipping and duty. and it has helped my fingers from going numb.

Old June 15th 05, 12:31 PM
Mark Leuck

"merryfreakinxmas" wrote in message

I also asked him about trail then I found excellent advice on this group.
His answer was to contact rans and maybe they have a fork that could solve
the problem. But recently, after switching the bars to a wider curved bar
and using one hand on the slow uphills there is an increase in low speed
stability.

If your low speed stability increases by using one hand on the bars the
problem isn't with the bike

Old June 15th 05, 01:45 PM
Jon Meinecke

"merryfreakinxmas"

problems i am having with the tailwind,
problems a braking, [...]

I asked about getting a disk brake for the rear.

Is the braking problem seen as too little braking power?

Perhaps there are pad choices or different levers or different
rim brakes that might help. What problem are you trying to
solve?

Jon Meinecke

Old June 15th 05, 08:21 PM
LioNiNoiL_a t_Y a h 0 0_d 0 t_c 0 m

Merryfreakinxmas wrote:

I didn't like the sach 3x7 that came with a rans wave
I found the 3x7 to have a hugh amount of drag

I have a Sachs 3x7 on my Green Gear Tandem Two's Day, and there is no
discernable drag. I can't imagine what the problem is with yours.

Old June 15th 05, 10:01 PM
merryfreakinxmas

"Jon Meinecke" wrote in message
news:1118839606.7dcde59b057c2e198461c66853abff9a@t eranews...
"merryfreakinxmas"

problems i am having with the tailwind,
problems a braking, [...]

I asked about getting a disk brake for the rear.

Is the braking problem seen as too little braking power?

Perhaps there are pad choices or different levers or different
rim brakes that might help. What problem are you trying to
solve?

Jon Meinecke

1/ pads wearing down too fast
2/ not enough power
3/ too much maintaince involved

Old June 15th 05, 10:02 PM
merryfreakinxmas

"Mark Leuck" wrote in message

"merryfreakinxmas" wrote in message

I also asked him about trail then I found excellent advice on this group.
His answer was to contact rans and maybe they have a fork that could
solve
the problem. But recently, after switching the bars to a wider curved bar
and using one hand on the slow uphills there is an increase in low speed
stability.

If your low speed stability increases by using one hand on the bars the
problem isn't with the bike

others on the group disagree with you

Old June 15th 05, 10:45 PM
Jeff Wills

#1 and #3 go together, and all could be solved by switching to
Kool-Stop "salmon" color brake shoes. I get 6 months to a year's worth
of wear from mine in rainy commutes.

Jeff

Old June 15th 05, 11:03 PM
Mark Leuck

"Mark Leuck" wrote in message

"merryfreakinxmas" wrote in message

I also asked him about trail then I found excellent advice on this

group.
His answer was to contact rans and maybe they have a fork that could
solve
the problem. But recently, after switching the bars to a wider curved

bar
and using one hand on the slow uphills there is an increase in low

speed
stability.

If your low speed stability increases by using one hand on the bars the
problem isn't with the bike

others on the group disagree with you

I have no doubt about that however it's not to hard to figure out what the
problem is if it increases by using one hand, he's overcontrolling

Old June 16th 05, 09:45 AM
merryfreakinxmas

"Mark Leuck" wrote in message

"merryfreakinxmas" wrote in message

I also asked him about trail then I found excellent advice on this

group.
His answer was to contact rans and maybe they have a fork that could
solve
the problem. But recently, after switching the bars to a wider curved

bar
and using one hand on the slow uphills there is an increase in low

speed
stability.

If your low speed stability increases by using one hand on the bars the
problem isn't with the bike

others on the group disagree with you

I have no doubt about that however it's not to hard to figure out what the
problem is if it increases by using one hand, he's overcontrolling

and using one hand is an easy fix, so what is your problem with doing stuff
the easy way? this is my second rans bent and they, at least the wave and
tailwind, are twitchy at slow speeds.

Old June 16th 05, 09:49 AM
merryfreakinxmas

"Jeff Wills" wrote in message
oups.com...

#1 and #3 go together, and all could be solved by switching to
Kool-Stop "salmon" color brake shoes. I get 6 months to a year's worth
of wear from mine in rainy commutes.

Jeff

They howl toooooo much on the back of the tailwind. I tried a brake booster,
toeing in, toeing out and many other suggestions. You know in the movies
when a freight train is nailing the brakes because someone is parked on the
tracks?

Well my bike is worse.

Questions for Nexus people [email protected] Techniques 37 February 11th 05 04:21 AM
How to change rear tire on a Nexus 8? (Please help!) Lobo Tommy General 7 April 30th 04 09:40 PM
FA: Van Dessel Super Fly - Moustache Bars, Disc Brake, Nexus Hub, 56cm size Rocketman Marketplace 1 January 28th 04 03:10 AM
Shimano Nexus and Brompton Ric UK 5 January 7th 04 11:34 PM
Nexus 8 Speed Hub for Commuting Michael Lanchester Australia 2 October 6th 03 04:45 AM