How to get more speed out of a recumbent?

Old July 5th 05, 03:51 PM
S. Delaire \Rotatorrecumbent\

Aerodynamics, aerodynamics, aerodynamics
Speedy

Grande News wrote:

I've been riding my Vision R44 for about 4 years now. I call it my
luxury cruiser as it is equipped with wide tires, a front shock and
USS and I typically carry a number of water bottles. Weight reduction
has not been a goal as I weigh in at 240 lbs. I live in TX and hit
most of the organized rides in the Central TX area going between 45 to
107 miles during a ride. These are typically hilly rides (TX Hill
Country River Region tour, The Kerrville Easter ride, etc...) So I've
put the time in and built up my leg muscles and cardio. Riding around
San Marcos, TX I can typically get 14-15 mph ave.

Here's the question... How do I get more speed out of my current bike?
I've read that I need to inflate the tires to their max pressure, buy
a tail sock or a front fairing. Any idea as to which will give me the
greatest improvement in performance?

Or maybe the answer is to buy a new bike. I've test ridden the Rans
F-5. I like the bike and it appears to be faster, but I lose some of
the comfortable ride characteristics of my Vision. I'm guessing a gain
in speed will probably mean a loss of comfort. Any comments.

Old July 6th 05, 01:15 AM
Jeff Wills

S. Delaire "Rotatorrecumbent" wrote:
Aerodynamics, aerodynamics, aerodynamics
Speedy

What he said:
http://www.ohpv.org/albums/bm2002/fr...s/photo_8.html
http://www.chrisleck.com/galleries/o...es/D16472.html

Jeff

Old July 6th 05, 02:34 AM
HHS

oups.com...

What he said:
http://www.ohpv.org/albums/bm2002/fr...s/photo_8.html
http://www.chrisleck.com/galleries/o...es/D16472.html

Jeff

So Jeff, which of the two streamliner bodies do you recommend this 240 lb.
poster use to get more speed out of his wide tired R44 Vision on the next
Texas Hill Country Kerrville Easter Ride?

Old July 6th 05, 05:28 AM
Jeff Wills

HHS wrote:
oups.com...

What he said:
http://www.ohpv.org/albums/bm2002/fr...s/photo_8.html
http://www.chrisleck.com/galleries/o...es/D16472.html

Jeff

So Jeff, which of the two streamliner bodies do you recommend this 240 lb.
poster use to get more speed out of his wide tired R44 Vision on the next
Texas Hill Country Kerrville Easter Ride?

Ummm... both?

Both of the pictures are of "Speedy" Delaire's "Big Gun" streamliner,
with minor modifications from 2002 to 2004. I'm waiting myself for an
"off the shelf" HPV streamliner that'll fit me, since I'm 6-foot-4, 230
lbs.

For your Vision, I'd probably build something like Ed Gin's Coroplast
fairing:
http://www.wisil.recumbents.com/wisi...l/hpvpfair.htm . I did
something similar to my Lightning:
http://www.pacifier.com/~jwills/faux...s/photo_4.html and got a