Any ScooterBike Owners Here?

Old July 8th 05, 03:44 PM
rBOB

Default Any ScooterBike Owners Here?

I know this is a long shot but any ScooterBike owners here? If so, let
me know what model you have, why you decided on a ScotterBike to begin
with, your impressions of the bike now that you own it, any
modifications you have made to it, and any sources you may know of for
bags, racks, and other parts.

The ScooterBike web site is he
http://www.scooterbike.com/start-e.html

Old July 9th 05, 03:08 AM

Hi,

I own a version of the Scooterbike sold by a company called
Healthrider. What is so unusual is that this company sells exercise
equipment and you would never expect for them to sell a recumbent
bicycle.

The bike is over two years old and I've used it mainly for commuting to
and from work. It serves that purpose well being that it comes with
fenders, chainring guard, chain tubes, rack, pannier bags and rack
trunk and even a dynamo light though it's been replaced with a Cateye
LED headlight. The drivetrain is just a seven speed Megarange and as
you may be aware, it is rear suspended.

For the use I give it, it works well. I live less than five miles away
from work and I have done as much as 62 miles on a day on it but it may
really not be the best bike, at least for me for long distance riding.
The seat is not that comfortable to me after 20 miles or so. Also, it
is not the most efficient bike for longer distances but then again, for
cruising around, errand running and commuting reasonable distances, you
may find it to fill your needs.

The only modification I made to my bike was to change the cogset from a
14-34 to an 11-34 thus increasing the top end. Other then that, the
bike is pretty much stock.

Edward Wong
Orlando, FL

Old July 9th 05, 04:37 AM
Joshua Goldberg

I have the Model SCB 5 (Emerald Green-27 speed) and am aware of 2 other
people with the same model in Oregon and Florida. Only modification I made
was add an electric hub motor to the front 16 inch wheel and get to cruise
at 31 mph---oh and went with the Magura hydraulic disc brake option.

oups.com...

Old July 9th 05, 05:06 AM
Joshua Goldberg

Hey Edward----been a long while since I've seen yer name here, so you dumped
the ReBike in favor of a ScooterBike eh. My ScooterBike 5 weighs the same as
a ReBike 2600. I was expecting the ScooterBike 5 to win an award at
InterBike as the heaviest CLWB made since the ReBike 2600.

Joshua

oups.com...

Old July 9th 05, 01:32 PM

Hi Joshua,

Last night I just happened to "drop" by to see how the group is doing
and read this thread on the Scooterbike. I still own a ReBike 2600
though it hardly get ridden anymore. I used to own a newer version of
the 2600 called the "Perfomance" and sold it over two years ago. I
wish I hadn't though. With Kenda Qwest 100 psi tires, that bike was
actually pretty quick and very comfortable; more so than the
Scooterbike. To the Scooterbike's defense, I would have to say that it
came with a number of thoughtful accessories that make it a good "city
bike" right out of the box.

Edward Wong
Orlando, FL

Old July 9th 05, 01:48 PM
rBOB

Thanks to all who replied. Joshua, tell me more about the electric hub
motor. How heavy is it? Got any links or pictures? Does a hub motor
make disc brakes a must?

As for my story: I own a ScooterBIke as well. I purchased mine on ebay
last September. It's my first recumbent (assuming it qualifies as a
recumbent). I wanted to try something other than an upright bike, to
see if it would help me with some physical problems I am experiencing.
I don't know the model number but it's the older 28 gear model (SRAM
Dual Drive, pre-disc brakes). I got a Zzipper fairing with it.

I agree that the weight of the bike and seat are not great. I use mine
for shopping and running errands and it is pretty good for that
purpose. The longest ride I have taken on it is about 30 miles. I plan
to ride it all summer and decide whether I like it (and recumbents in
general) based on that experience. Do any of you think that I am
selling recumbents short by judging them based on my experiences with
this one bike?

Old July 9th 05, 03:58 PM
rBOB

Typo in previous post: I meant to write 24 gears, not 28.

Old July 10th 05, 05:56 AM
Joshua Goldberg

ScooterBike (Germany) shipped the SCB 5 model to myself, to the owner of a
custom bike company in Florida and to BionX in Montreal. The plan was we'd
stick hub motors on the CLWB and test ride them. ScooterBike (we think) is
going to electrify the ScooterBikes for Europe. The ScooterBike is heavy,
but the Taiwan welding is excellent.

The only downside everyone has found is the front wheel is too twitchy and
so we are all changing to a 20 inch shocked front wheel, Disc brakes are a
good idea with any power-assist motor you add because the motor produces
speed a cyclist would not normally do and the added weight of the propulsion
system means you slam on the rim brakes and just keep on going an extra few
yards which can get pretty weird in fast traffic.

For a 1st bent, probably an EZ-1sc would be better. The ScooterBike is my
17th bent (still have 2 tadpoles and a Velomobile tandem (with Sail) under
construction).

Am getting old fast (big white beard) and the power-assist has gone from a
fun add-on in 1992 to a necessity. My philosophy is this, if you can still
ride and enjoy the ride without a motor (do it), if the ride is becoming
painful and no longer a pleasant experience (add a motor), but keep using
the cranks with the motor till the kids have you shipped off to a nursing
home.

joshua
www.evsolutions.net

oups.com...

Old July 11th 05, 02:47 AM
rBOB

Thanks, Joshua. I'll give that motor some thought but thankfully, I can
still get by on my own horsepower. Has anyone tried the Ortlieb
ScooterBike Bag or the low rider rack? Any info/opinions on them (cost,
where to get in the US, etc.)? The Ortlieb Bag looks nice and roomy. I
have a knapsack rigged up back there now and it does the job, but I'd
consider the Ortlieb if it's not too pricey.