Fixed Gear Bike?

Old October 29th 03, 01:45 AM

Default Fixed Gear Bike?

Hi,

I would like to buy a fixed gear bike for commuting. I went to a
dealer and tried a single speed bike, but it didn't have the
properties that I read about, nor did they have a bike that did.

I am looking for a bike that is:

1) Single speed.
2) Will not coast (if it moves, you are forced to pedal)
3) Will let you pedal backwards to move backwards
4) Will let you slow down by slowing down the pedalling
5) Equipped with "regular" (eg: handbar) brakes (front and/or back)

This leads me to ask the following questions:

1) Is a single speed bike the same as a fixed gear?
2) If so, is there a more specific name for what I am looking for?
3) Are such bikes sold, or is this a custom job?
4) What are some brands/models?

If it is any help, I live in Houston, TX (in case someone knows of an
LBS that can handle this).

I'm sorry if I don't have all the terminology down pat. I just read
about this today and I would like to find one.

Thanks in advance.
Old October 29th 03, 02:25 AM
alan

Take a look at the fixed gear list
http://lists.davin.ottawa.on.ca/mail...nfo/fixed-gear

You're faced with essentially 3 choices: a track bike, a purpose-built
fixie, or a converted road bike.

Track bikes are fun, but the ride is very stiff. They have razor-sharp
handling. Take a look at Sheldon Brown's site for road-going track bikes.

A purpose-built fixie (I'm thinking of the Surly Steamroller) offers a more
comfortable ride than a track bike, and a few amenities like water bottle
bosses.

Finally - and this is my choice - you can set up an old road frame with
horizontal dropouts. This can be inexpensive and fun, particularly if you
can 'rescue' an old frame.
--

alan

Anyone who believes in a liberal media has never read the "Daily Oklahoman."

om...

Old October 29th 03, 02:44 AM
J. Zwiebel

Ebay is a good place to look for fixed gear bikes, especially for old road
bikes that have been converted to fixed gear. As for myself, I purchased a
Fuji track bike (on Ebay), put on a front brake and use it on the road. Both
Fuji and Bianchi have entry level track bikes (for about $500-$600) that
accept brakes and should suit your purpose well.

Jamie Zwiebel

Old October 29th 03, 04:36 AM
David L. Johnson

On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 17:45:16 +0000, xmp33 wrote:

I would like to buy a fixed gear bike for commuting. I went to a dealer
and tried a single speed bike, but it didn't have the properties that I
read about, nor did they have a bike that did.

I am looking for a bike that is:

1) Single speed.
2) Will not coast (if it moves, you are forced to pedal) 3) Will let you
pedal backwards to move backwards

Only if you can balance very well.

*4) Will let you slow down by slowing
down the pedalling 5) Equipped with "regular" (eg: handbar) brakes (front
and/or back)

This leads me to ask the following questions:

1) Is a single speed bike the same as a fixed gear?

No. "Single speed" refers to bikes with a single-speed freewheel. No
shifters, no multiple gears, but coasting.

2) If so, is there a
more specific name for what I am looking for?

"Fixed gear" is the way they are referred to.

3) Are such bikes sold, or
is this a custom job?

There are some sold, but more often it is a custom job. Since much of the
customization involves removing things, it is not hard.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | If all economists were laid end to end, they would not reach a
_`\(,_ | conclusion. -- George Bernard Shaw
(_)/ (_) |

Old October 29th 03, 04:40 AM
David L. Johnson

On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 17:45:16 +0000, xmp33 wrote:

3) Are such bikes sold, or
is this a custom job? 4) What are some brands/models?

I saw a nice-looking one not long ago, in a semi-local bike shop (Bike
Line). I _think_ it was a Trek, certainly usable as a track bike, but
with water-bottle bosses and a front brake. Less than $1000. I think the
frame must have been aluminum for that price.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | The trouble with the rat race is that even if you win you're
_`\(,_ | still a rat. --Lilly Tomlin

FA: 54cm Fixed gear 700c Road frame Ian Yates General 5 October 22nd 03 10:35 AM
my new bike Marian Rosenberg General 5 October 19th 03 03:00 PM
Best Way to Travel with a Bike on an Airplane F1 General 5 August 14th 03 10:39 PM
mountain bike or fixed gear singlespeed:thanks everyone Brink General 1 July 29th 03 04:44 AM