Front wheel to shoe clearance, or lack of...

Old July 21st 04, 05:39 PM
Rick Onanian

Default Front wheel to shoe clearance, or lack of...

On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 22:10:16 +1000, sugs
wrote:
Is this a common situation which just has to be accomodated for by
careful riding?

Yes.
--
Rick Onanian
Old July 21st 04, 06:13 PM
java man (espressopithecus)

In article , sugs.19qtr0@no-
mx.forums.cyclingforums.com says...

For the last four months, I've been riding my Giant TCR O Comp (LOVE
it), and the previous 5 years a steel Rondelli which for those of you
who don't know is not a compact.

Yesterday, while loitering at a junction, I realised that it was
possible to touch the back of the front wheel with the toe of my shoe,
when the cranks were horizontal and the wheel turned off centre by
about 30 degrees. The overlap was almost 1/2 in.
Obviously this has implications when tight cornering, although
probably at the lower speeds where more deflection is likely, but it
nevertheless worries me, as I've never been aware of the potential of
losing control because of my wheel hitting my toe.

Is this a common situation which just has to be accomodated for by
careful riding? If not is there any way around the problem, (other than
shorter cranks) such as different pedals which can move your foot back
somehow but not leave you pedalling on your toes? The distance from
the centre of the crank bolt to the wheel is only just over 3in. My
footsize in 9 1/2 UK or 44. Any advice or comment much appreciated.

My oldest bike (33 years) has a toe overlap of about 1 inch. I have
touched the wheel with my toe from time to time, but have never lost
control of the bike as a result. I don't think it's a problem.

Rick

Old July 21st 04, 10:00 PM
Werehatrack

On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 07:15:48 -0700, Dan Daniel
wrote:

... It is very possible to design a bike with no
toe overlap but then the bike doesn't look like it could win the TdF
so it doesn't sell... And yet, the bike *still* doesn't win the TdF
after it leaves the bike shop! Go figure....

Nobody ever reads the fine print that says "Lance Armstrong not
included."
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

Old July 22nd 04, 03:42 AM
SoCalMike

Is this a common situation

pretty much. frames are more compact now.
Old July 22nd 04, 03:42 AM
SoCalMike

Old July 22nd 04, 04:16 AM
Paul Kopit

wrote:

[...]

I have wear size 47 shoes and ride 56 cm bicycles. I think the only
bicycle I've owned that I don't get toe overlap is my tandem.
Although I have had my toe touch the front wheel at low speed only,
I've never fallen because of it.

To convince yourself, try to go 10 mph and make your toe interfere
with the front wheel.

Old July 22nd 04, 08:57 AM
Blair P. Houghton

sugs wrote:
Is this a common situation which just has to be accomodated for by
careful riding?

It is for me.

My toes overlap my front wheel about a centimeter.

I just don't let them touch that often.

--Blair
"Last interval was about 12 years..."