Competitiveness

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old July 18th 17, 03:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Default Competitiveness

On Thursday, July 8, 1999 at 1:00:00 AM UTC-6, Eleanor MacMaster wrote:
Yesterday, as I was locking my bike outside a mall another rider
pulled up and locked his bike next to mine in the rack. He
asked several questions about my Blackburn rack and Mt. Co-Op
panniers. Then he asked: "What are you, an Intermediate?" Not
being into the ratings game, I replied that I did not know, I had
never been tested. He then proceeded to tell me in a boastful
manner that he had ridden "all the way" from two in-the-city
destinations -- a distance of perhaps 5 miles. I resisted the
temptation to let him know that this was not particularly
impressive since he may not have been cycling for very long and
of course SOME riding is better than no riding (besides I would
never want to discourage anyone from participating in any
fitness activity). However.....I did wonder whether he had
concluded that I must be an Intermediate from the fact that I
am a middle-age woman. My suspicion is that I could take him!
--
"Biker Chick"

Eleanor, this is Steve; contact me at