Cassette Wobble -- not freehub

Old August 19th 03, 01:52 AM
David Kunz

Default Cassette Wobble -- not freehub

I've been noticing a noise in my drivetrain in low gears. I isolated it
to cassette wobble, but was surprised to find that it was literally the
cassette wobbling on the freehub -- not the freehub body (or in Chris
King terms, the drive shell) wobbling on it's bearings!

It's an XT 11-34 cassette on a Chris King hub. The hub is tight. It
turns out that the 11 tooth ring's splines do not go all of the way
through -- there's in effect, a stop. For some reason, the gear stack
is not as deep enough to be held firmly when the retaining ring is tight
-- I can tip them a good bit, but the 11 tooth remains firmly unmoving
(as does the drive shell).

Ok, I put a thin spacer under the stack and now my gears are tight (and
shift better). My questions are...

Is this normal and I just didn't notice it before?

Do I need to replace the drive shell?

How do I prevent it from happening again?

David

Old August 19th 03, 05:55 AM
Werehatrack

On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 00:52:46 GMT, David Kunz
may have said:

My questions are...

Is this normal and I just didn't notice it before?

It is my understanding that it is "normal" for some 11T sprockets,
specifically Shimano Hyperdrive-C, to be unable to go all the way down
on a hub that does not have the relieved ends on the splines which are
present on the Shimano "compact" freehubs. In other words, to use
certain 11T sprockets on certain freehubs, either a shim is required
(as you have now installed), or a mod to the hub is needed; more info
is he

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/k7.html

Skip down to the part on Hyperdrive-C

Do I need to replace the drive shell?

That's an option.

How do I prevent it from happening again?

I think you just did, with the spacer.

--
My email address is antispammed;
pull WEEDS if replying via e-mail.
Old August 19th 03, 08:56 AM
David Kunz

may have said:

My questions are...

Is this normal and I just didn't notice it before?

It is my understanding that it is "normal" for some 11T sprockets,
specifically Shimano Hyperdrive-C, to be unable to go all the way down
on a hub that does not have the relieved ends on the splines which are
present on the Shimano "compact" freehubs. In other words, to use
certain 11T sprockets on certain freehubs, either a shim is required
(as you have now installed), or a mod to the hub is needed; more info
is he

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/k7.html

Skip down to the part on Hyperdrive-C

Do I need to replace the drive shell?

That's an option.

How do I prevent it from happening again?

I think you just did, with the spacer.

Thanks,
In other words, it's been doing it all along and I've just been too
dense to notice it!
It's most anoying that my LBS had no clue about this (I asked there 1st)
-- but the wrench that I trust was out when I stopped by.

David