Problem with Shimano R-535 wheelset

Old August 21st 03, 09:09 PM
Mark Wolfe

Default Problem with Shimano R-535 wheelset

There's reasons alot of people won't ride low spoke count wheels, you just
found one of them. It sounds like it's too late to take them back, but
you might consider replacing them with some 32 or 36 hole open pros or
similar, they'll go out of true if a spoke breaks, but won't leave you
stranded. BTW, you know you are going to start a holy war with that post.

Lindsay Brambles wrote:

Last year I purchased a new road bike and after having some problems with
the stock wheelset that came with the bike I opted to upgrade to Shimano
R-535 wheels. Now, however, I have had spokes on the rear wheel break

twice in
the space of a few weeks. After I purchased the wheels I heard there were
some issues with spoke breakage and I'm wondering if anyone else has had
such problems. This is a concern for me because on long rides it can be
a rather serious issue if I break a spoke far out in the country. Walking

any
distance in cleated biking shoes is no picnic, and once a spoke has broken
on the R-535 the rim is so warped that it's impossible to ride. On the two
recent occasions when the spokes broke I was fortunate to be close to a

phone,
but I'm worried about this happening on when I may be kilometers from the
nearest house. (I know: I could carry a cell phone, but I really would
have no other use for one, so I don't want to incur the expense just for
that. Besides, I'm not always going to be lucky and have some one at home
who can come and fetch me.)

Anyway, if anyone knows about a problem with the R-535 I'd appreciate
knowing. Possibly this is why Shimano brought out the differently laced

R-540?

BTW, I'm 160 pounds, so I don't think weight can be an issue; the store I
bought the wheelset from says the R-535 is supposed to be rated for 240
pounds. I also have made it a point of avoiding potholes and ruts like

the
plague, as well as crossing rail lines very, very carefully.

Thanks for any info you may be able to provide.

Lindsay Brambles

--
Lindsay H.F. Brambles | * |\ | ----- *
| | | \ | / |

--
Mark Wolfe
http://www.wolfenet.org
Old August 21st 03, 11:38 PM
Jim Edgar

Lindsay Brambles at wrote on 8/21/03 12:49 PM:
Last year I purchased a new road bike and after having some problems with
the stock wheelset that came with the bike I opted to upgrade to Shimano
R-535 wheels. Now, however, I have had spokes on the rear wheel break twice in
the space of a few weeks. After I purchased the wheels I heard there were
some issues with spoke breakage and I'm wondering if anyone else has had
such problems. This is a concern for me because on long rides it can be
a rather serious issue if I break a spoke far out in the country. Walking any
distance in cleated biking shoes is no picnic, and once a spoke has broken
on the R-535 the rim is so warped that it's impossible to ride. On the two
recent occasions when the spokes broke I was fortunate to be close to a phone,
but I'm worried about this happening on when I may be kilometers from the
nearest house.

'tis the dangers of low spoke count wheels, however, I digress...

I haven't heard much complaints about breaking spokes on those.
Checked Google Groups Search to confirm - ditto...

I only know one person with those wheels, and he's fine with them.

You have had wheel problems with the factory (presumably standard type)
wheelset - now problems with this set. If you are breaking spokes in both
cases, I'd look at the dropout alignment first, then frame alignment. Bike
shops should have the proper tools to confirm that everything. While
hanging out in the bike shop where you got 'em - a Wednesday or Tuesday
morning when the owners there is always best. Politely say, "this really
doesn't seem right" and see if they can't get Shimano to replace them.

Way back in the grey matter, it seems like one of the early runs had a
problem, but I just can't recall specifics.

(I know: I could carry a cell phone, but I really would
have no other use for one, so I don't want to incur the expense just for
that. Besides, I'm not always going to be lucky and have some one at home
who can come and fetch me.)

Cell phone is worth it, if you ask me. Price of a couple grande burritos
and a few cappuccinos per month. Especially if you ride alone (which might
be related to those particular food combinations...) Make sure you have
coverage for the rural areas in which you ride. Make sure you program in a
"HOME" number, so if the paramedics find you unconcious, they can figure out
who you are and let folks know. They are nice if you need a bail out or
retrieval, but really stellar for BIG problems when you need help NOW.

Hope that helps,

-- Jim

Old August 22nd 03, 02:06 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

Lindsay- BTW, I'm 160 pounds, so I don't think weight can be an issue; the
store I
bought the wheelset from says the R-535 is supposed to be rated for 240
pounds. BRBR

Pretty funny-240 pounds-. I would say have the wheels replaced by some designed
specifially for you and your needs, built by a good wheelbuilder. The bike
shop, who will often say things like, 'we don't know about the reliability of
these wheels...time will tell'. If they have doubts, they should not sell them,
should do someting to get you on reliable wheels. We see few wheels outta boxes
that are reliable.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com
Old August 22nd 03, 02:08 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

Jim- If you are breaking spokes in both
cases, I'd look at the dropout alignment first, then frame alignment.
BRBR

???-Axle problems perhaps, doubt this has anything to do with poor wheel
builds..

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com
Old August 22nd 03, 02:10 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

tom- The original 535 wheels had a lot of problems with spoke breakage and
also with the wheels pulling to the side when peddled by a really
strong rider. This made a grinding noise that some riders would
complain about. BRBR

Yikes, these wheels, 7700 wheels, SPD-R pedals, SPD-SL cleats, 2003 XTR BB
bearings, don't they test these things??

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com
Old August 23rd 03, 10:40 PM
Eric Murray

In article ,
Lindsay Brambles wrote:
Last year I purchased a new road bike and after having some problems with
the stock wheelset that came with the bike I opted to upgrade to Shimano
R-535 wheels. Now, however, I have had spokes on the rear wheel break twice in
the space of a few weeks. After I purchased the wheels I heard there were
some issues with spoke breakage and I'm wondering if anyone else has had
such problems.

This won't help you but I've got about 3000 miles on a set of R535s with
zero problems. The rear was creaking a bit when I stood on climbs so
I tightend the spokes a bit (had to make my own spoke wrench, none of
the local shops had any to fit!).

I weighed 175lbs when I started back into riding a few years ago, I'm
145 now. I'm fairly careful with equipment but I will wreck badly made
rear wheels from standing on climbs. I use a set of "regular" 32h wheels
for normal riding now but the R535s are my bombproof backup wheels.
They are heavy but I know I can't kill them.

Since you had problems with your last wheels, maybe there
is something other than the wheels that's causing the problem?

Anyway, if anyone knows about a problem with the R-535 I'd appreciate
knowing. Possibly this is why Shimano brought out the differently laced R-540?

I haven't heard of any problems with the R535s (other than
being heavy and having the other drawbacks of low spoke count
wheels, many of which you noted).

BTW, I'm 160 pounds, so I don't think weight can be an issue; the store I
bought the wheelset from says the R-535 is supposed to be rated for 240
pounds. I also have made it a point of avoiding potholes and ruts like the
plague, as well as crossing rail lines very, very carefully.

Just guessing, but maybe you are killing your wheels because you are not
being careful enough about road obstacles?

Were the 535s new or used? What happened to your previous wheels?

Who retensioned the 535s when the spokes were replaced? With only
16 spokes, they really need to have even tension.

Eric

Old August 24th 03, 12:37 PM
dianne_1234

Just out of curiosity, where did the spokes break? Near the threads,
elbow, head, or ...?

In my experience, wheels that have had
1. their spoke line corrected and
2. stress relieved
seldom break spokes. Not sure if the Shimano wheel's little spoke
washer thingy in the rim allows proper spoke line correction, as in a
standard hub or not. But I would think you could at leaset stress
relieve those wheels.

Old August 24th 03, 01:20 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

spam- This won't help you but I've got about 3000 miles on a set of R535s
with
zero problems. The rear was creaking a bit when I stood on climbs so
I tightend the spokes a bit (had to make my own spoke wrench, none of
the local shops had any to fit!). BRBR

Then i guess the problems you had weren't 'zero'...

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302