WHY A WATERFORD BIKE IS A JOKE

Old April 26th 14, 04:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default WHY A WATERFORD BIKE IS A JOKE

On Friday, April 25, 2014 11:13:40 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Wow you people are weird, I've been in bike industry for twenty years and luckily I didn't even know your genre existed. Five generations of pedigree, what the hell is that?

Jute's Euro....he talks funny...what's your excuse ?

Old April 26th 14, 05:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Saturday, April 26, 2014 3:33:16 AM UTC+1, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Friday, April 25, 2014 8:09:40 PM UTC-4, wrote:

The horrible thing about this post is that it's the second thing that comes up on Google when you seach Waterford.

You need to read the FAQ on Jute before wasting more time on him:

https://groups.google.com/d/msg/rec....g/U3UPi04ElVwJ

At one time, there was also an amusing online parody of his writing.

I'd find that for you as well, but I don't waste time on Jute.

- Frank Krygowski

You've just given us another demonstration of how you waste time on your pointless obsession with me, Franki-boy.

I wonder why jumped-up mechanics think operating a keyboard qualifies them to **** with a professional polemicist.

Andre Jute
Old April 26th 14, 05:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Saturday, April 26, 2014 4:13:40 AM UTC+1, wrote:
Wow you people are weird, I've been in bike industry for twenty years and luckily I didn't even know your genre existed.

Not genre; that's a pejorative sub-classification in literature. The word you want is genus, which is a spec sheet for a bug, say like Franki Shavelegs.

Five generations of pedigree, what the hell is that?

165 years.

(Now watch them argue that it should be 150 years.)

BTW, FIY, Franki-boy Krygowski is the resident fascist. He thinks everyone must perforce agree with him. If you don't, you're a "troll". Franki-boy isn't bright enough to grasp that every time he calls someone a troll, he's admitting he has no answers to their arguments. He's a loser who once wanted to be "a bicycle spokesman", but the bicycles held a caucus and decided they wanted someone honest to represent them, so they got Fat Al Gore instead of Franki Shavelegs.

Andre Jute
Always happy to help out.
Old April 26th 14, 12:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

On Saturday, April 26, 2014 12:16:06 AM UTC-4, Andre Jute wrote:
On Saturday, April 26, 2014 4:13:40 AM UTC+1, wrote:

Blund ...try

http://goo.gl/IjHzeo

search for 'peckerhead'

a pedigree is years or model years at a high level of performance in a given area

here we find the descriptive 'flaming asshole' elevated to 'curmudgeon'

fact Waterford builds expensive 'crafted' bicycles doesn't qualify for 'pedigree' .....craft isnot performance without performance...get it ?

similarly, Rolls is Tin not performance.
Old August 3rd 18, 02:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Despite my love of Waterford bicycles, this whole chain is pure gold. Especially "Jim Beam"'s comment "yeah, and the brains of non-engineers need boiling in brine and vinegar sometimes" is peak excellence. I am a Waterford bicycle owner, I love the bike, but I love the story behind it almost as much..

Story time: when I was in college studying mechanical engineering, we were charged with building a human powered device that would pump air for a medical device that aerates medicine. That way, people in remote parts of the world without electricity to power a compressor can still treat asthma.

So, my idea was to take apart the spare tire fix-a-flat compressor in my car, attach a tiny little rubber wheel to the crankshaft, and hold it against a turning bike wheel to create air pressure. To make that work, our group needed a bike; everyone was using theirs for commuting and I didn't have one, so one of the guys in the group said I could fix up an old bike they had lying around in the garage and use that for the project. Since I didn't have a bike of my own, I asked if I could keep it after the project was over since I'd have to sink a bunch of time into it and he said sure.

I went to their garage to pick up the bike, and it was in complete disrepair; covered in dust and grime, tires off rims, torn up seat, and fraying handlebar grips. But when I picked it up, it was incredibly light. I walked it home, went about fixing it, cleaned it thoroughly, and set it up to run our machine.

Once that was working, I did some research on this "Waterford" bike; once I learned that it was so expensive, I decided to invest a few bucks in a nicer seat and new handlebar tape. After the project was over, 3 years later, I've raced it a few times, ridden it about 400 miles, and fallen in love with everything about it.

More relevant to the "tech" part of this subject, I learned to fix almost every part of a bicycle on this machine. Even if Waterford frames objectively are overpriced, it warms my heart to have gotten such an overpriced machine for free and to have learned invaluable skills from it.

Thanks for the laughs reading the thread, all the best.
Old August 4th 18, 11:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Friday, April 24, 2009 at 4:45:21 PM UTC-7, Andre Jute wrote:
WHY A WATERFORD BIKE IS A JOKE
An investigation consequent on being hounded by American roadies
by Andre Jute

Last year when I was shopping for a low stepover bike, Tom Sherman and
other Americans, touting for business for their own industry,
suggested I look at Waterford Cycles' Godiva model:
http://waterfordbikes.com/now/models.php?Model=655
I looked, shuddered but said thanks politely, and moved on,
eventually buying a German/Dutch crossframe mixte design with historic
roots.

Now a bunch of American roadies, led by Russell Seaton, have been
hounding me for being different. Seaton cites the Waterford Godiva as
the sort of bike I should have bought. All right, since these pushy
roadies insist, let's look into a Waterford bike in more detail. The
pricelist, here,
http://waterfordbikes.com/now/pricel...dels&Model=655
reads like some kind of a sick joke. The bare frame with the cheapest
lowest common denominator lugs costs $1800, a fork is $350 and up,
getting the fork painted to match is another $125 (!). box
"pinstriping" is $250, Rohloff dropouts $150, upgrade to decent
Rohloff dropouts from Paragon another $150 (a total of $300 for
Rohloff dropouts!). The total for the frame and fork is $2825.

No, I'm not pulling your leg. I looked it up and wrote it all down,
and then added it up carefully, several times. A Waterford frame with
a fork and the cheapest lugs plus good Rohloff dropouts, with the
single luxury of box pinstriping, will cost $2825 or 2130 Euro.

Better lugs will drive the price up by a minimum of $225, and a
machined brake bridge is $125. Remember these sums, for which you can
buy a whole bike some places. The total of $350 for a lug upgrade and
a carved brake bridge at Waterford is more than halfway to the price
of a frame with superb lugs and paint from a distinguished bicycle
maker with breeding, as I shall shortly demonstrate.

So, $3175 or 2400 Euro for a rather commonplace Waterford frame and
fork with pinstriping.

GET A FRAME WITH BREEDING INSTEAD --
FOR A FRACTION OF THE WATERFORD PRICE!

Hmm. In Germany, one can buy a Patria or Utopia custom-lugged steel
frame, with fork in the same colour, and stainless Rohloff dropouts,
and no thought of charging $350 extra (!) for the good lugs and the
delightfully carved brake bridge, and box coachlining by a famous
bikebuilder, for 700-850 Euro or a maximum of $1125, that's $2050
cheaper than the Waterford frame. And that is not for a common or
garden frame, that is for a very special frame.

Or, if you actually want the narrow-tyre road frame rather than the
German frames for tourers with Big Apple balloons, you can go to
Mercian for a Miss Mercian ($920)
http://www.merciancycles.co.uk/frame_miss_mercia.asp
or to Bob Jackson (prices from $653, including Rohloff dropouts)
http://www.bobjacksoncycles.co.uk/de...c9 b6796b2ac5
and get a beautifully painted, arrow-lugged, luglined, frame and fork
with a distinguished road pedigree.

WITH THE SAVINGS OF NOT BUYING WATERFORD,
GO UPMARKET

Who in his right mind would choose a Waterford Godiva frame instead at
over three times to five times the price of a Mercian or a Bob
Jackson? A cyclist could have a Mercian or a Bob Jackson couriered to
the street in front of Waterford Cycles, go ask them if they can match
the pedigree, and still be ahead over two thousand dollars,
essentially the price of outfitting a bike without ever asking the
price of Rohloff/SON/BUMM/Brooks/Nitto/Ortlieb/the best of everything.

A Waterford frame and fork alone costs as much as a completely
equipped dream bike, with pedigree, from Mercian or Bob Jackson,
fitted out with the best of everything. There is no contest.

You're off your gourd, Russell Seaton, and your pals aren't any more
sane. Waterford is a joke.

IS WATERFORD'S GODIVA A MIXTE?

There's another reason to give Waterford a big miss besides having no
breeding and being grotesquely overpriced. It is that their frames
appear to be bog-standard and dull.

The same Russell Eaton we've already met as an example of someone
crazed with roadie nationalism, also tells us that Waterford calling
the Godiva a "mixte" frame is his excuse for taunting me that my
Utopia Kranich unisex crossframe-mixte
http://www.audio-talk.co.uk/fiultra/...20CYCLING.html
is a "girl's" bike. (I'm not even bothering to answer such crass
American stupidity.)

A mixte is a bicycle with two thinnish bars running from the head tube
to the rear dropouts (or frame-ends, to be technically correct). The
Godiva doesn't have these mixte bars and therefore isn't a mixte. The
Godiva is a simple traditional parallelogram ladies' frame, pretty
commonplace really.

What Waterford actually says about the Godiva is a typical piece of
advertising department weaselling: that it has "a classy mixte
profile". In other words, Waterford knows the Godiva is not a mixte
but is trying to claim for the Godiva the prestige or perhaps the
cross-gender sales of the (unisex) mixte.

Russell Seaton simply was too crazed with nationalist roadyism (or
should that be rowdyism?) to comprehend that Waterford were
intentionally misleading him. Poor Russell.

Copyright © 2009 Andre Jute. Free to reprint on not-for-profit
netsites. For any other use approach the author.

Let me tell you that the worst Mercian is far, far better than the best Waterford. That Mercian is still building frames sort of caught me by surprise in this day of carbon fiber.

bike joke Tom \Johnny Sunset\ Sherman[_1058_] General 0 August 29th 07 04:27 AM
bike joke smn General 7 August 24th 07 07:57 PM
A bike related joke Craig Brossman Mountain Biking 10 March 26th 06 12:59 PM
FA: Last 4 Hours: Waterford 18" Mountain Bike Currently Only $455 LR Marketplace 0 November 4th 04 12:32 AM
FA: 18" Waterford Mountain Bike LR Marketplace 0 October 28th 04 11:49 PM