Campy Rear Derailleurs

Old August 12th 18, 04:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default Campy Rear Derailleurs

On 8/11/2018 10:49 PM, wrote:
On Saturday, August 11, 2018 at 9:30:57 PM UTC-5, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 8/11/2018 7:01 PM,
wrote:
On Saturday, August 11, 2018 at 4:29:38 PM UTC-5, wrote:
I expect that Muzi knows the answer to this one:

Is there any mechanical advantage difference between a 10 speed and 11 speed
Campy rear derailleur?

"mechanical advantage difference"? Meaning what exactly? Does one shift better, faster, more precisely than the other?

I'm betting Tom is asking about the distance the derailleur moves
laterally for a given amount of cable pull.

But we'll see.

If that is the case, then the 11 speed shifter moves the rear derailleur less distance laterally than the 10 speed shifter. And the 10 moves less laterally than the 9. And the 9 moves laterally less than the 8. And the 8 moves laterally less than the 7. I think 130mm rear road spacing came into existence with 7 speed. Or was it 8? In any case, with more and more cogs on the same 130mm rear hub width, and assuming the freewheel body is the same length, then you need less and less space for each cog as you get more and more cogs.

Yep, all correct, Mr Seaton.
Suntour promulgated a 128mm Seven while Shimano had the 130
format. Shimano prevailed. A big leap was Campagnolo's
innovation to hang the low gear sprocket off the back of the
cassette body by stamping a pie tin shaped sprocket.

We're clearly into diminishing returns for changes on 130mm
now. Even Shimano has competing road and MTB cassette body
formats for 11 cassettes.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old August 14th 18, 12:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Sunday, August 12, 2018 at 4:02:15 PM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
On 8/12/2018 4:31 PM, wrote:
On Sunday, August 12, 2018 at 8:01:31 AM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
On 8/11/2018 4:29 PM,
wrote:
I expect that Muzi knows the answer to this one:

Is there any mechanical advantage difference between a 10 speed and 11 speed
Campy rear derailleur?

Yes and the (discontinued) Athena 11 is different again from
both groups. Annoyingly, front changer leverage/cable travel
changed as well.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Thanks Andrew.

That means I have to use 10 speed derailleurs with 10 speed levers even though it would be cheaper to get 11 speed derailleurs. Or a 9 speed derailleur but those are even harder to come by.

Good thing I've decided to disassembly my 62 cm Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra and sell the frame/fork and keep the 10 speed parts for spares. Also I have two or three Campy Triples I have to sell off to make more space.

Front doubles in '9 speed' boxes are still plentiful and
cheap, not different in any way from the later '10 speed'
marked changers except the lettering.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

The compact front derailleur on the 9 speed is completely different and doesn't work very well compared to 10 speed compact front derailleur. Granted the "standard" fronts are the same.

On both the 9 speed front compact and standard I would always use a Deda Elementi Dog Fang to stop a dropped chain when moving to the smaller ring but you can't do that with my new Colnago because the seat tube is teardrop shaped.

Campy Mirage 9 Speed Rear Derailleurs * * Chas Techniques 12 June 14th 09 09:24 AM
Campy Rear Derailleurs Guy F. Anderson Sr. Marketplace 2 January 30th 07 05:12 PM
Rear Derailleurs Great Eastern UK 15 January 15th 07 07:50 PM
Campy rear derailleurs excessive dish and Ergo speed changes to freewheel/cassette ddog Techniques 20 January 14th 07 05:31 PM
DA Rear Derailleurs Eric Lambi Techniques 13 February 13th 04 09:32 PM