Recommendation for 700c x 42-45 tire for light off-road (fire roads,light trail use)

Old August 10th 05, 04:50 PM
SMS

Default Recommendation for 700c x 42-45 tire for light off-road (fire roads,light trail use)

I want a set of off-road tires for my Trek T100 tandem, for light trail
and fire road use. It's a "cross" tandem, with 700c rims that I measured
as 20mm wide, and sufficient clearance for pretty large tires if I
remove the fenders.

It's got 700x35 road tires on there now. I was looking for something
around 42-45mm. All I've found so far is the Ritchey ZED Pro
(http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...40&sku= 11023)

I found one 700c x 45 tire, but it's a studded tire, which I don't want.

Does anyone know of any other 700c x 42 to 700c x 45 tires?
Old August 10th 05, 05:25 PM

On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 15:50:50 GMT, SMS
wrote:

I want a set of off-road tires for my Trek T100 tandem, for light trail
and fire road use. It's a "cross" tandem, with 700c rims that I measured
as 20mm wide, and sufficient clearance for pretty large tires if I
remove the fenders.

It's got 700x35 road tires on there now. I was looking for something
around 42-45mm. All I've found so far is the Ritchey ZED Pro
(http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...40&sku= 11023)

I found one 700c x 45 tire, but it's a studded tire, which I don't want.

Does anyone know of any other 700c x 42 to 700c x 45 tires?

Dear Steven,

The Maxxis Worm Drive CX 700x42 has tread:

http://www.cambriabike.com/shopexd.asp?id=8769

The Kenda K197 Hybrid 700x42 is smooth:

http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...eid=&pagename=

Carl Fogel
Old August 10th 05, 08:24 PM
Wheels by BFWG

"SMS" wrote in message
I want a set of off-road tires for my Trek T100 tandem, for light trail and
fire road use. It's a "cross" tandem, with 700c rims that I measured as
20mm wide, and sufficient clearance for pretty large tires if I remove the
fenders.

I really dig the All Terrainasaurus from WTB. I have tires that are a few
years old and I'm sure are 42 or 45mm. I see they are currently offering
only up to 38mm, but I'd still recommend 'em. . .

http://www.wtb.com/products/tires_allterrain.html

Old August 10th 05, 08:58 PM
SBC Usenet

I like BikeNashbar, and I'll bet they are good tires. For tires, I like
Schwalbe. Marathon plus is what I use, and the Marathon xr is an upgrade
alternate.

Old August 10th 05, 09:10 PM

(
http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...40&sku= 11023)

I found one 700c x 45 tire, but it's a studded tire, which I don't want.

Does anyone know of any other 700c x 42 to 700c x 45 tires?

Dear Steven,

The Maxxis Worm Drive CX 700x42 has tread:

http://www.cambriabike.com/shopexd.asp?id=8769

The Kenda K197 Hybrid 700x42 is smooth:

http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...eid=&pagename=

Carl Fogel

Or this IRC Mythos CX 700x42:

http://www.biketoolsetc.com/index.cg...em_id=IR-MYS42

CF
Old August 10th 05, 09:12 PM
Kinky Cowboy

wrote:

I want a set of off-road tires for my Trek T100 tandem, for light trail
and fire road use. It's a "cross" tandem, with 700c rims that I measured
as 20mm wide, and sufficient clearance for pretty large tires if I
remove the fenders.

It's got 700x35 road tires on there now. I was looking for something
around 42-45mm. All I've found so far is the Ritchey ZED Pro
(http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...40&sku= 11023)

I found one 700c x 45 tire, but it's a studded tire, which I don't want.

Does anyone know of any other 700c x 42 to 700c x 45 tires?

Conti CityContact is available in 700x42, 47 and 54. I haven't tried
it, but it looks similar in construction to the SportContact, which I
love in its 700x37 form for the kind of riding you describe.

http://www.conti-online.com/generato...ontact_en.html

Kinky Cowboy*

*Batteries not included
May contain traces of nuts
Your milage may vary

Old August 10th 05, 10:07 PM
daveornee

(http://tinyurl.com/bk6ol)

I found one 700c x 45 tire, but it's a studded tire, which I don'
want.

Does anyone know of any other 700c x 42 to 700c x 45 tires?

20 mm wide rim .. inside or outside measurement?
If it's an outside measurment you're pushing it to go with any wide
tire on that width rim

--
daveornee

Old August 11th 05, 04:21 AM
B.C. Cletta

Does anyone know of any other 700c x 42 to 700c x 45 tires?

BG Rock'n'Road
http://www.bgcycles.com/access.html

Old August 11th 05, 05:19 PM
SMS

daveornee wrote:
SMS Wrote:

I want a set of off-road tires for my Trek T100 tandem, for light trail
and fire road use. It's a "cross" tandem, with 700c rims that I
measured
as 20mm wide, and sufficient clearance for pretty large tires if I
remove the fenders.

It's got 700x35 road tires on there now. I was looking for something
around 42-45mm. All I've found so far is the Ritchey ZED Pro
(http://tinyurl.com/bk6ol)

I found one 700c x 45 tire, but it's a studded tire, which I don't
want.

Does anyone know of any other 700c x 42 to 700c x 45 tires?

20 mm wide rim .. inside or outside measurement?
If it's an outside measurment you're pushing it to go with any wider
tire on that width rim.

Not according to the "Width Considerations" chart at
"http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tire_sizing.html." I can go to about 46,
based on that chart.

Inside measurement.
Old August 12th 05, 06:26 AM
A Muzi

B.C. Cletta wrote:

Does anyone know of any other 700c x 42 to 700c x 45 tires?

BG Rock'n'Road
http://www.bgcycles.com/access.html

Michelins go 700-40 then 700-47 if that helps
http://www.yellowjersey.org/michelin.html

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

Recommendation for 700c x 42-45 tire for light off-road (fire roads,light trail use) SMS General 4 August 12th 05 06:26 AM
Katy Trail,RR TBGibb Rides 2 December 10th 04 04:05 AM
Katy Trail,RR TBGibb Rides 0 December 10th 04 02:30 AM
Tire size for 180 lb rider David Kerber General 36 May 29th 04 11:38 AM
RR Guelph Hiking Trail - Very Long Robert Schultz Mountain Biking 0 July 21st 03 05:12 AM