Campy 10 speed upgrade problem

Old August 5th 05, 04:18 AM

Default Campy 10 speed upgrade problem

I had some Daytona 9 speed shifters, Racing T cranks, and a Racing T
rear derailleur. I got some new Chorus 10 speed shifters, a Centaur 10
speed cassette, and a record 10s chain, keeping the Racing T crankset
and rear derailleur.

On the bench, it's perfect. No noise, smooth and wonderful. On the
road, whenever any power is applied, I hear noise I believe coming from
the rear derailleur. I can feel it resonating on the chain, but I
can't tell where it's coming from. The noise is similar to when your
front derailleur needs to be trimmed, only instead of metal on metal,
it's a metal on plastic sound coming more from the rear of the bike.

The Racing T rear derailleur says 9 speed on it, do I need pulleys or
something for it to make it quiet? Anything else I might be missing?

Old August 5th 05, 01:50 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

Eric Hill wrote:

you most likely need 10sp jockey wheels.

http://www.branfordbike.com/campy/ca...earDerailleurs

Once more my buddies at Branford selling somethin not needed. Look at
the most modern Campag jockey wheels...see they say '9-10' on them?

Old August 5th 05, 04:49 PM

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
You are missing something. No need to change anything. In fact the
pulleys are "9-10'...Perhaps a slighly bent der hanger or worn out rear
derailleur? Hard to tell w/o seeing/hearing it. I have done this
upgrade more than a few times w/o any issues.

I've read about the upgrade and believe that it should work. The
derailleur looks perfectly straight. The feel and noise is the same as
if the upper jockey wheel is touching the cassette. It isn't. I have
the b-limit screw all the way in. Nothing seems to be amiss. Could my
jockey wheels be worn such that they are causing a problem? The chain
from the cassette through the jockey wheels are perfectly vertical, so
I assume my dropout is straight. Never been in a crash or anything.

Also, can you re-use the pin that comes with the record chain? I think
I'd like to take out one more link, but they only provided one pin.
The Dura-Ace chains come with two, so i was wondering if the pin can be
used again?

Lastly, my rear derailleur is now VERY close the the spokes when in the
biggest cog. How close? I'd estimate a skosh over 1/16". Normal?

Old August 6th 05, 02:14 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

wrote:
Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
You are missing something. No need to change anything. In fact the
pulleys are "9-10'...Perhaps a slighly bent der hanger or worn out rear
derailleur? Hard to tell w/o seeing/hearing it. I have done this
upgrade more than a few times w/o any issues.

I've read about the upgrade and believe that it should work. The
derailleur looks perfectly straight. The feel and noise is the same as
if the upper jockey wheel is touching the cassette. It isn't. I have
the b-limit screw all the way in. Nothing seems to be amiss. Could my
jockey wheels be worn such that they are causing a problem?

Could be. A longer b limit screw or perhaps a link tot long of a chain?

The chain
from the cassette through the jockey wheels are perfectly vertical, so
I assume my dropout is straight. Never been in a crash or anything.

Also, can you re-use the pin that comes with the record chain?

No-Use a Wipperman 10s link.

I think
I'd like to take out one more link, but they only provided one pin.
The Dura-Ace chains come with two, so i was wondering if the pin can be
used again?

Lastly, my rear derailleur is now VERY close the the spokes when in the
biggest cog. How close? I'd estimate a skosh over 1/16". Normal?

yes, normal. As long as you can't push on the der body, with the bike
in the stand, when in the biggest cog and it won't tickle the spokes.

Old August 10th 05, 10:17 PM

wrote:
[...]

Well, I got it working. I went to the store and bought some 10s
pulleys. The pulleys themselves say 9s/10s on them as stated above;
however, the silver bushings on the 10s pulleys are stamped 10s, while
the ones on my Racing-T unit has no markings. After swapping the
pulleys, the noise is gone. I wonder if the 10s silver washer-esque
things are slightly thinner, allowing more float or something? It
could have been my previous pulleys were really worn as I've always
used a dura-ace chain with the sram gold link.

I committed a cardinal sin by upgrading to 10s right before a 3 day
ride through the mountains. I'm happy to report that I did not
experience a single mis-shift or any noise.