Mysterious Creaking...Please HELP!

Old August 22nd 03, 07:44 AM
CycleSteve

Default Mysterious Creaking...Please HELP!

Brian wrote:
I need help eliminating a creaking sound.
Specs: I have an Abici XLR8R that is an aluminum frame with carbon seat
stays and carbon fork. Campy Chorus groupo, 3T stem and handlebars. It
has Approx. 5000 miles on it.
The creaking occurs both when I stand on the pedals and when I ride
in the saddle. The creak occurs when there is tension in the pedals
above approximately 15 mph. So you hear the creaking when climbing
and when pushing on flats. I have tried two wheel sets (Mavic Open
Pro, Campy Protons) both with different skewers and the creak is
still there. I cant quite tell exactly where the creak is coming from
since it resonates in the aluminum frame. I took it to my LBS and
this is what was done:
-BB pulled and regreased -Chain ring bolts regreased and tightened
-Cranks pulled and spindles regreased -Crank bolts greased, cranks
tightened -Seat post greased -Rear derailleur drop out greased -Pedals
(Speedplay, X2s) removed and regreased (note: creak appears with just
riding on regular tennis shoes) -Different Saddles have been used too
-No cracks have been found at any of the aluminum bonds upon inspection
The creak doesnt get any louder when really pushing up hill or when even
attacking uphill or doing TTs.
I am stumped, frustrated and need any advice that you can offer. Any
help is much appreciated. Thanks.
Brian

I have a Cannondale R4000 road bike, CAAD4 frame. C's are notorious for
creaking. Or maybe it's aluminum frames that are especially susceptible
to creaking. Here's what I've done, beginning with the easiest: 1)
remove, grease, and reinstall the screws holding your water bottle cages
to the frame - I've actually had creaking caused by these screws; 2)
remove, clean and grease your seat stem; 3) remove, clean and grease the
handlebar stem (I've got a threaded setup); 4) remove the cogs and clean
and grease the spindle; 5) disassemble your chainrings, grease the
screws that hold the chainrings together, and reassemble. What I've
always thought was creaking caused by the BB turned out to be one of the
things above.

Hope this helps.

Old August 22nd 03, 11:23 AM
Ken Freeland

Saddle may be too far up/back against tube up-slope, happened to me.
Take a look at your cassette, may be loose. Could be carbon/alu
bonding issue? Ken

Old August 22nd 03, 03:19 PM
Pat

x-no-archive:yes

Brian wrote:
I need help eliminating a creaking sound.

I was plagued with a mysterious creaking sound and it turned out to be my
Look pedal cleats. I was told to remove the cleats, file down the edges,
clean the shoe bottom , and remount the cleats. Since then---no creaking!
I suggest you try riding your bike wearing tennis shoes to see if the
creaking disappears. That is what I found out. BTW: this started after a
100K that was mostly done in a light rain. I oiled the pedals, too.

Pat in TX

Old August 22nd 03, 03:36 PM
Bruni

I had a Colnago c-40 in my shop who's owner had tried everything. It turned
out to be a loose screw atop the dropout
connecting the carbon stay plug to the drop.
Tom
--
Bruni Bicycles
"Where art meets science"

'creaking' noises Jim Boyer General 5 June 29th 04 05:02 AM
Intense Uzzi SLX Creaking Noise with Progressive 5th Element Shock Rog Techniques 0 August 3rd 03 04:39 PM