headlight recommend?

Old April 27th 08, 02:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

Default headlight recommend?

Ecnerwal wrote:
In article ,
Nate Nagel wrote:

Telling everyone that wants to ride at night that they need to spend
$180 on a headlight is fine, I guess, if you want to encourage people
not to ride...

Well, you know, there those who encourage riding, and those who
encourage spending lots of money at the LBS, with riding being quite
optional, so long as the money gets spent - and not at any of your
hardware stores or evil on-line places.

Put on a tail-light and some side markers as well, preferably. You can
get the standard 3 red LED tail unit for $2.95 + shipping from
www.sciplus.com (just a happy customer). They also have a bigger one
(with 6 times the LEDs) for $8.50. At least you'll know how much your
LBS is extorting (above the commodity price) for this sort of thing if
you shop there.

If you're handy with a soldering iron, you can cobble tail and marker
lights up yourself, though you would have a difficult time breaking even
for the above price on a tail light with a nice lens and mount.

Already picked up a seriously bright blinky; one of those 9 LED deals.
It's brighter than the taillights on my car, I think. But thanks for
the pointers...

Don't bother with their 9 white LED "bike & head lamp", other than as a
possible side marker light, with a little yellow on the lens. Beats no
light at all (I got one for the headlamp function), but is shamed by the
low-end single emitter light mentioned below (which I got later on).

If you'll be riding a lot, a NiMH rapid charger and a pile of NiMH AA's
will cost a lot less than disposables. If you don't use them much,
disposables are cheaper. Best price I those I found last year was for a
20-pack at Adorama camera (also just a happy customer, and a very price
sensitive one for "commodity" items like this). Some other place may
well have them cheaper this week. Avoid coin-cell lights for regular use
- coin cells are expensive unless you buy thousands at a time.

That's what I'm thinking... I've already got the charger and batteries
for the digicam that I keep in my car for work, so buying a couple more
batteries would make sense. Also if I felt like a long ride I could
easily just throw some extra batteries in my seat bag.

I've got one of the less exciting super-duper LED lights (Terrralux
lower-end conversion for a 2AA minimag I already owned) and it's very
effective for being seen (by oncoming cars - I use it when walking along
the road at night - there's no sidewalk here), and pretty darn good for
seeing, though I'd suggest getting one of the better/brighter units (as
others have suggested) for that purpose on a bike. Goes a very long time
on a set of AA rechargables (I have yet to run it all the way out before
I decide to recharge for the sake of the batteries). Changed a dim
battery-eater into a useful light.

Be careful about aiming the bright LED lights - they are painfully
bright to look at and can blind/dazzle the same as a car high-beam if
aimed too high. That can help get you IN an accident.

Believe me I'm well aware of that... I'm running E-code halogens on my
car as well, just my way of trying to set a good example...

Riding at night can be a hairy proposition - but that's regardless of
how much or how little you've spent on lights, and daytime does not
remove the hairiness in many places. Every route out of town here
involves long stretches of too many cars and not enough space for bikes
(one even has a goodly stretch of concrete retaining wall on the inside
of a corner - no place to go AND no visibility) - I'm surprised there
are not more accidents. Once out of town the bike-lane program on the
highway bills has had a noticeable positive effect on room for bikes -
getting there is not half the fun, however. At present, I try to stick
to riding during daylight.

I hear you there. From a driver's perspective, I absolutely *hate*
those bikers that you don't see until "almost too late." So I am indeed
planning lots of reflective tape, etc. should my rims not appear shiny
enough in the headlight test (probably not, I'm guessing.)

I think I'm back where I started, though - your ideas for homebrew look
good, but I've got so many other projects (old car, old house, ugly
yard, etc.) that I was really hoping for something involving minimal
fitting. Looks like this is would actually work with my handlebars and
appears to be fairly bright:

http://www.bikemannetwork.com/biking/p/LT1042

found it he

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=176131

where it seems to be pretty good in the "bang for the buck" department.
I think it was the very first light I found when looking for a light
with a handlebar mount that would work on my bike, and it actually looks
like a very viable option. It ain't the size of my pinkie but it might
get the job done. I am still considering the LED flashlight options
too, for the multifunctional goodness.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Old April 27th 08, 02:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Brian Huntley

On Apr 26, 2:30 pm, Nate Nagel wrote:
Rode down to LBS today, explained my headlight dilemma (cross bike,
difficult to find space to mount headlight) and after explaining desired
use - allowing me to ride after dark, because I don't often have the
opportunity to ride during the day, save on weekends - they recommended
this:

http://www.abikestore.com/Merchant2/...=PROD&Product_...

Looks like a sweet little piece, but the price tag is almost half as
much as I paid for my bike! (granted, it cost a good bit more than that
new... but I *am* trying to maintain some semblance of a budget here.)

Am I silly in thinking I ought to be able to find something "acceptable"
for less? or should I suck it up and buy it? Can anyone recommend any
products in particular?

BTW riding with a computer for the first time is a really humbling
experience. I had never gone on a real ride with one before today...
My average speed is slow, my cadence is pathetic... I guess that's why
they sell the darn things, so you can find out what you need to work on.
I *really* need to get my leg speed up - I don't even feel comfortable
over about 70 RPM. Maybe I should take the 53 off and put the 46 on to
force me to pedal faster if I want to maintain a reasonable speed?

Thanks,

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.http://members.cox.net/njnagel

If you're having mounting issues due to handlebar space, you might
want to consider an accessory bar. I made this one (http://
www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/HandleBar) for a bag, originally, but
found it works great for lights, too. I used two lamps through this
winter (a well focused 1-watter and a wind angle 'see me' 300 mw LED.)
Old April 27th 08, 03:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ecnerwal

In article ,
Nate Nagel wrote:

http://www.bikemannetwork.com/biking/p/LT1042

90 LUX, but not specifying what area is being lit. Perhaps 90 lumens,
perhaps more, perhaps less.

Considering you can get (no kludging required) a handlebar mount for $15
and a 2AA 180 lumen light that fits it for $60 from
http://www.pts-flashlights.com (not even a customer, but they have been
mentioned by several places as a source of good, really bright, lights)
I'd be guessing you'd do better there, for the same money. I'm somewhat
in the "happy with my cheesy minimag upgrade, can't justify spending $60
for a better light right now" state WRT becoming a customer.

Fenix L2D Q5 Cree LED Flashlight

Fenix Bike Flashlight Mount

Old April 27th 08, 03:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

Ecnerwal wrote:
In article ,
Nate Nagel wrote:

http://www.bikemannetwork.com/biking/p/LT1042

90 LUX, but not specifying what area is being lit. Perhaps 90 lumens,
perhaps more, perhaps less.

Considering you can get (no kludging required) a handlebar mount for $15
and a 2AA 180 lumen light that fits it for $60 from
http://www.pts-flashlights.com (not even a customer, but they have been
mentioned by several places as a source of good, really bright, lights)
I'd be guessing you'd do better there, for the same money. I'm somewhat
in the "happy with my cheesy minimag upgrade, can't justify spending $60
for a better light right now" state WRT becoming a customer.

Fenix L2D Q5 Cree LED Flashlight

Fenix Bike Flashlight Mount

I dont think that mount would work for me; I couldn't mount it on my
bars as it would interfere with the cables coming out of the cross brake
levers. It doesn't appear that it would mount on the stem either as
then I couldn't adjust the angle up/down... however the twofish thingy
would work I think. or maybe this guy:

http://www.lighthound.com/index.asp?...OD&ProdID=1593

I could turn it around "backwards" so that the thumbscrew would be on
the rear of the bars and then it would be OK. Although I'm guessing
that the 2AA Fenix flashlight is about the size of a mini mag so I'd
probably want to use the smaller twofish product if I went down that road?

nate

Old April 27th 08, 04:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Michael Press

http://www.abikestore.com/Merchant2/...Store_Code=pbs

[...]

Gnaw, unplug the computer.

--
Michael Press
Old April 27th 08, 04:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Nate Nagel wrote:

Probably at least an hour, maybe more.

A bit OT but I like Kent Peterson's idea of using
cheap, small helmet mounted lights as well

see link

http://kentsbike.blogspot.com/2008/0...th-lights.html
Old April 27th 08, 04:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Michael Press

In article ,
"Jay" wrote:

"Chalo" wrote in message

Funny that so many of us have ridden so long and so far with nothing
more than the most rudimentary, cheap lighting-- or even just
reflectors and no actual lights at all.

I have figured out a whole bunch of ways to get hurt on my bike, but
using inadequate illumination has not been one of them so far. Good
(or good and expensive) lighting is something I'd put in the "nice to
have" category.

Anyway, a $30 Task Force light or a $20 Hong Kong LED light is a way
more serious piece of bike lighting equipment than you used to be able
to buy for less than $100.

Chalo

Here's an idea! Don't use a headlight at all. Keep that $20 in your pocket.

Just say a prayer before you ride. And tape a plastic Jesus to your
handlebars.

I don't care if it rains or freezes,

--
Michael Press
Old April 27th 08, 07:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
RS

In article , says...

Rode down to LBS today, explained my headlight dilemma (cross bike,
difficult to find space to mount headlight) and after explaining desired
use - allowing me to ride after dark, because I don't often have the
opportunity to ride during the day, save on weekends - they recommended
this:

http://www.abikestore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?
Screen=PROD&Product_Code=mini-newt&Category_Code=&Store_Code=pbs

[...]

Just remove the computer, then you won't worry about your cadence and
spending money on chainrings. Just ride and enjoy.

Old April 27th 08, 12:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

Michael Press wrote:
In article ,
"Jay" wrote:

"Chalo" wrote in message

Funny that so many of us have ridden so long and so far with nothing
more than the most rudimentary, cheap lighting-- or even just
reflectors and no actual lights at all.

I have figured out a whole bunch of ways to get hurt on my bike, but
using inadequate illumination has not been one of them so far. Good
(or good and expensive) lighting is something I'd put in the "nice to
have" category.

Anyway, a $30 Task Force light or a $20 Hong Kong LED light is a way
more serious piece of bike lighting equipment than you used to be able
to buy for less than $100.

Chalo

Here's an idea! Don't use a headlight at all. Keep that $20 in your pocket.

Just say a prayer before you ride. And tape a plastic Jesus to your
handlebars.

I don't care if it rains or freezes,

damn you.

nate

(I'll be humming that all day now...)

Old April 27th 08, 02:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ecnerwal

In article ,
Nate Nagel wrote:

I could turn it around "backwards" so that the thumbscrew would be on
the rear of the bars and then it would be OK. Although I'm guessing
that the 2AA Fenix flashlight is about the size of a mini mag so I'd
probably want to use the smaller twofish product if I went down that road?

The barrel should be almost exactly the same diameter as a 2AA minimag,
since the battery inside in the same.

Recommend me a new Uni Unicylcone777 Unicycling 9 October 23rd 07 06:16 AM
Recommend me a new Uni Unicylcone777 Unicycling 0 October 19th 07 05:49 AM
Can anyone recommend [email protected] Australia 5 February 9th 07 09:51 AM
can u recommend? rappid UK 4 July 9th 06 11:45 AM
What do you recommend??? dallas Australia 2 December 12th 03 11:03 PM