Trashed Record Freehub

Old May 2nd 08, 04:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Trashed Record Freehub

Hi,

I've got a Campy Record 9 Speed rear hub, circa 1998, on which I've
managed to destroy the freehub. Since I'm too cheap to upgrade to a
full 10 speed setup, I'm trying to determine my options for fixing it.

The easiest approach seems to be to install a new freehub, but I
haven't been able to find one. My next option is to find a full rear
hub and cannibalize the freehub from it. The issue is compatibility.
I'd rather not buy one and not have it fit.

I may have a line on a Chorus rear hub of about the same vintage.
Does anyone know if the Chorus freehub is compatible with Record? I'm
guessing yes, but want to be sure. Could I go with a modern freehub
and still use my 9 speed cassettes?

Thanks

-- Scott
Old May 2nd 08, 07:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

http://tinyurl.com/6jtm5v
Old May 2nd 08, 08:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On May 2, 1:34 pm, landotter wrote:
On May 2, 10:49 am, wrote:

Hi,

I've got a Campy Record 9 Speed rear hub, circa 1998, on which I've
managed to destroy the freehub. Since I'm too cheap to upgrade to a
full 10 speed setup, I'm trying to determine my options for fixing it.

The easiest approach seems to be to install a new freehub, but I
haven't been able to find one.

http://tinyurl.com/6jtm5v

Thanks for the pointer, but if you start looking at the sites that
come up they generally don't have the freehub in stock, thus the
question on compatibility.

-- Scott
Old May 2nd 08, 09:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On May 2, 10:49 am, wrote:

Hi,

I've got a Campy Record 9 Speed rear hub, circa 1998, on which I've
managed to destroy the freehub. Since I'm too cheap to upgrade to a
full 10 speed setup, I'm trying to determine my options for fixing it.

The easiest approach seems to be to install a new freehub, but I
haven't been able to find one.

http://tinyurl.com/6jtm5v

Thanks for the pointer, but if you start looking at the sites that
come up they generally don't have the freehub in stock, thus the
question on compatibility.

JensonUsa's got it on closeout for $75 on that first page:
http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...ehub+Body.aspx

First click on the page, I was able to put it in my cart. Just ordered
from them. Reliable. Something wrong with your internet??

Centaur quality, or perhaps you need something more expensive that'll
break again? ;-)

Old May 2nd 08, 10:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

JensonUsa's got it on closeout for $75 on that first page:http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...olo+910+Speed+...

First click on the page, I was able to put it in my cart. Just ordered
from them. Reliable. Something wrong with your internet??

Centaur quality, or perhaps you need something more expensive that'll
break again? ;-)

Don't need anything more expensive, if it'll fit. See the original
question on compatibility. According to the campy spares catalogs,
the part numbers are different. For my Record hub the part number for
the freehub is FH-RE315. For the Chorus version the same year it's FH-
CH115. Are they compatible?

For 1999 the Record freehub part number moves to FH-RE415.

The same is true for your Centaur pointer. In the 2001 Spares catalog
it shows multiple numbers for the freehub with 3 different part
numbers: (Record) FH-RE415, (Chorus) FH-CH215, and (Centaur) FH-
DA015. To me that says the Centaur freehub is compatible with FH-
RE415.

I will contact Jenson to see what Campy part number their hub is, but
I'm guessing I'm still going to be asking the same compatibility
question. Any ideas?

-- Scott
Old May 2nd 08, 11:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On May 2, 10:49 am, wrote:

[...]

* * -- Scott- Hide quoted text -

I ruined the freehub body internals and axle on a 1998 Chorus rear
hub. Bought a 1997 Shamal rear wheel and transferred the freehub and
titanium axle into the 1998 rear hub shell and it works perfectly
well. Built up the rim with a 36 spoke Veloce hub and I now have a
"matching" set of Shamal 12 spoke wheels. In 1998, any Chorus or
Record freehub body and axle and bearings will be interchangeable. In
1999 Campagnolo went to the oversized aluminum axle in its Chorus and
Record so compatibility would be an issue for most stuff since then.
Maybe early 2000s Daytona, Veloce, Athena, Centaur might work.
Maybe. But your 1998 cup and cone threaded axle should work with 1998
and earlier bodies.
Old May 2nd 08, 11:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On May 2, 10:49 am, wrote:

[...]

Thanks Russell.

I did contact Jenson and they said the Centaur freehub body they had
wouldn't work. The explanation as to why the 1999 and beyond freehubs
won't work makes sense. In looking at the 1998 parts catalog, the
axles for the Record vs. Chorus are different as well. Wish I could
tell if the diameters are the same.

If I decide to rebuild the wheel around a new 10 speed hub, with a new
10 speed cassette, will it work without changing my shifters and rear
derailleur? My thought is that I wouldn't be able to shift into the
highest cog of the cassette. Correct?

Thanks

-- Scott
Old May 3rd 08, 12:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On May 2, 5:42 pm, wrote:
On May 2, 5:22 pm, "

On May 2, 10:49 am, wrote:

[...]

What's trashed? You might be able to rebuild it.

Loose Screws has pawls for $6/each:

http://tinyurl.com/6qk8wk

don't know if it's the right pawl, but it's attacking the problem from
the better angle, IMHO.
Old May 3rd 08, 01:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
A Muzi

landotter wrote:
http://tinyurl.com/6jtm5v

wrote:
I did contact Jenson and they said the Centaur freehub body they had
wouldn't work. The explanation as to why the 1999 and beyond freehubs
won't work makes sense. In looking at the 1998 parts catalog, the
axles for the Record vs. Chorus are different as well. Wish I could
tell if the diameters are the same.

If I decide to rebuild the wheel around a new 10 speed hub, with a new
10 speed cassette, will it work without changing my shifters and rear
derailleur? My thought is that I wouldn't be able to shift into the
highest cog of the cassette. Correct?

Campagnolo cassette bodies:
Eight speed
Record Ti 9 one year only
9/10 with small axle
9/10 for aluminum axle
Exceptions? sure! But any modern Campagnolo nine is also a ten.

If the cassette body is cracked, you need a new one. If it's a bearing
problem, those can be changed.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old May 3rd 08, 03:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

landotter wrote:
http://tinyurl.com/6jtm5v

wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the reply.

It is bearing related inside of the freehub. Not the sealed bearings
on the outer side of the freehub, but there are pieces of bearings
floating around on the inside. I believe that the body is intact.
But if there were races inside, I don't think they are there any
more. I do still have all of the parts.

The pawls also seem to be fine.

It may be worth a shot at trying to fix it. I am in Madison and may
stop by. I'll be the one with the box that rattles.

Thanks

-- Scott

1970's Maruishi...Trashed? Scott Gordo Techniques 2 June 27th 07 04:18 AM
FA: Campagnolo Record 9/10 sp. freehub body, NEW jodi Marketplace 0 September 14th 06 02:42 AM
My First 1000 Miles and a trashed tire [email protected] General 19 November 22nd 05 12:04 PM
Trashed Bike Gags Australia 6 February 14th 05 03:21 PM
I trashed my onza JVTFm Unicycling 16 December 6th 04 11:05 AM