Why are bikes so expensive?

Old October 27th 14, 05:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Why are bikes so expensive?

On Monday, October 27, 2014 11:01:30 AM UTC-4, Duane wrote:
On 10/27/2014 10:11 AM, AMuzi wrote:
On 10/27/2014 8:18 AM, Duane wrote:
On 10/27/2014 8:43 AM, Lou Holtman wrote:
On Monday, October 27, 2014 11:03:44 AM UTC+1, somebody
wrote:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/activ...expensive.html

' In my opinion a decent racing bike nowadays is Ł3000,
anything over that is not going to make any difference,"
he said.'

I the author believe that he is an idiot IMO. A decent
racing bike is between 1200 and 1600 euro. For 4200 euro
as I showed in one of the pictures of my visit to Rose
Biketown you have a Campy Super Record equipped roadbike
with a 800 gr CF fram. Total weight of that bike is 6.8 kg
or even less. That is not what I call a 'decent' road
bike, that is an 'uber bike'.

You can get a very good Al frame road bike like a
Specialized Allez for around 1000 CA. You can get a
Specialized Elite or Roubaix full CF for around $2000.

Then you can upgrade the wheels, the group etc. :-)

So they only want 18% more than a Bianchi:
http://www.bianchiusa.com/bikes/road...laris-compact/

And no Italian styling.

There you go. Another example. Funny but you have trouble finding a
Bianchi here in Montreal. I looked before I bought my Tarmac.

There are some guys in my club that spout that nonsense about needing to
spend 6 large for a road bike. I don't usually ride with them anyway...

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

LOTTA DINERO

http://goo.gl/voZYCn

BIANCHI were often seen on the winter bike paths ridden by handsome well turned out enthusiasts, abt 8 years ago....moremoftn than other ess noticeable brands...BIANCHI sez on tube BIANCHI...nice paint.

Durng the computer market run up we would see all types from Ti and Kestrels to Straight 8 Buick touring cars with original upholstery.

Yawl low budget types miss the action here....people with 6 thou to throw at a bicycle or several: 1) enjoy buying stuff and 2) like bicycles like jewleeree

Take a judgmental position like whatshisname and that's a disease but in facto their just having fun.
Old October 27th 14, 06:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_4_]

wrote:
[...]

To be clear I don't care what you spend on a bike as long as you ride.
What I don't like is justifying your expenditure by saying things like you
need to spend at least what I did to have a serious bike.

--
duane
Old October 27th 14, 09:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 10/27/2014 1:40 PM, Duane wrote:
wrote:
On Monday, October 27, 2014 11:01:30 AM UTC-4, Duane wrote:
On 10/27/2014 10:11 AM, AMuzi wrote:
On 10/27/2014 8:18 AM, Duane wrote:
On 10/27/2014 8:43 AM, Lou Holtman wrote:
On Monday, October 27, 2014 11:03:44 AM UTC+1, somebody
wrote:

-snip snip-
To be clear I don't care what you spend on a bike as long as you ride.

Much agreed.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old October 27th 14, 10:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 28/10/14 01:11, AMuzi wrote:

So they only want 18% more than a Bianchi:
http://www.bianchiusa.com/bikes/road...laris-compact/

And no Italian styling.

I dislike most of that bicycle, but I guess it serves a purpose.

--
JS
Old October 27th 14, 10:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Clive George

On 27/10/2014 22:22, James wrote:
On 28/10/14 01:11, AMuzi wrote:

So they only want 18% more than a Bianchi:
http://www.bianchiusa.com/bikes/road...laris-compact/

And no Italian styling.

I dislike most of that bicycle, but I guess it serves a purpose.

I don't understand. I wouldn't want a bike with that colour scheme, but
what's wrong with the rest of it for a budget road bike?

Old October 27th 14, 11:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 28/10/14 01:11, AMuzi wrote:

So they only want 18% more than a Bianchi:
http://www.bianchiusa.com/bikes/road...laris-compact/

And no Italian styling.

I dislike most of that bicycle, but I guess it serves a purpose.

I don't understand. I wouldn't want a bike with that colour scheme, but
what's wrong with the rest of it for a budget road bike?

Only 8 speed and ratio far to wide for me.
I dislike the BB design and crank and chain ring selection.
I dislike the STI levers.
I dislike the compact frame geometry.

As I said though, I guess it serves a purpose - as a budget road bike.

--
JS
Old October 27th 14, 11:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:
[...]

uuuuuuuuuuuu

how much do we spend for a SERIOUS BIKE in your neck of the woods ?
Old October 27th 14, 11:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

how much do we spend for a SERIOUS BIKE in your neck of the woods ?

after psoting on Bianchi, local noise chimed in with several COLNAGO's.

Old October 28th 14, 12:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_4_]

wrote:
[...]

I can't answer that. Depends on the rider. A serious bike is one ridden a
lot. How about you?
--
duane
Old October 28th 14, 12:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Clive George

On 28/10/14 01:11, AMuzi wrote:

So they only want 18% more than a Bianchi:
http://www.bianchiusa.com/bikes/road...laris-compact/

And no Italian styling.

I dislike most of that bicycle, but I guess it serves a purpose.

I don't understand. I wouldn't want a bike with that colour scheme, but
what's wrong with the rest of it for a budget road bike?

Only 8 speed and ratio far to wide for me.
I dislike the BB design and crank and chain ring selection.
I dislike the STI levers.
I dislike the compact frame geometry.

As I said though, I guess it serves a purpose - as a budget road bike.

The wide ratio is probably a good thing for that market - we were
discussing that only a few days ago :-)

Yes, if going budget then square taper might have been a nicer choice -
but I bet the crank and BB are part of the group, and hence a better price.

I like my campag levers, but for the money STI is a better choice. What
are the options for cheap brifters these days?

Nothing wrong with compact frames, apart from possibly aesthetics. Means
less sizes to stock, hence cheaper.

So it seems all the things you don't like are because it's cheap :-)

The important bit is would it be a decent option for somebody with not
much money, or who didn't know if cycling would be for them? I think it
might be.

But, like you, I'd not actually buy one :-)