headset drags according to spacer order

Old November 7th 14, 03:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default headset drags according to spacer order

On 11/6/2014 5:46 PM, jbeattie wrote:

I build my own tools all the time. I recently bent a spoke to fish a wire

out of the wall. Making a precision bend took incredible strength and a
pair
of pliers ...

New Caledonian crows can get that done without using pliers!

http://users.ox.ac.uk/~kgroup/tools/introduction.shtml

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8zCmj6z8VQ

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old November 7th 14, 03:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 11/6/2014 3:13 PM, AMuzi wrote:
On 11/6/2014 1:55 PM, Lou Holtman wrote:
Frank Krygowski wrote:
... re-install the stem with the
faulty face
up against the scribed line, and use that to see where there is an
out-of-square
surface, a projection, a burr or whatever; then file until it looks
perfect.

I'd try that before I went shopping for a stem.

- Frank Krygowski

Yeah but you are retired and have plenty of time 😊. But if
tightening the
stem bolts makes it freeze then we talking about accuracy of the play of
the stem if the bolts are not tightened. I really doubt that you can
achieve that with a handtool. Not even if you have plenty of time.

Machinists of my grandfather's day did that sort of work to very high
standards and I know a man who imports chinese machine tools who reports
that machine ways are hand scraped to straight by teams of semiskilled
workers even now.

In the real world, Lou's right. You can't to the job properly for $30 of
your time that a stem costs.

I've always done almost all repair work myself, and not only on bikes.
But I do try to anticipate whether my time will be worth it. I like to
"make" $20 per hour on such work, so I'd be satisfied if I got this job
done in 90 minutes.

But especially with bike work, the main benefit for me is getting things
fixed much quicker. I can do a lot of work in the time it takes me to
get to a bike shop and back, even if the part is in stock there.

All this is assuming that my repair succeeds, of course. But my
record's pretty good. I'd still give my method a quick try, at least.

--
- Frank Krygowski