drill/tap in frames

Old July 25th 18, 07:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

Default drill/tap in frames

The tape is from tesa. It is even an illustration of
a bike on the back side of the case. I also use it for
hockey sticks. I would think it one of the best tape
rolls in the inventory for the purpose, but actually
I don't like sticky tape *at all* on bikes! But for
handlebar wrappings and cases such as this I suppose
there is no getting "around" it.

--
underground experts exiled
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573
Old July 25th 18, 11:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 26/07/18 04:19, Emanuel Berg wrote:
AMuzi writes:

Today I finally spent some quality time on my own
bike again, and I put on the plastic Zefal bottle
cage using cloth tape on the down tube and then two
galvanized hoose clamps. The bottle cage is
designed for screws but the result seemed solid
enough. BTW it is an interesting bike. I think it
is from the early-mid 80s. A steel frame, it has
a Shimano Positron 5 shifter, but the single
chainwheel is so big even on a flat surface, the
biggest sprocket is the only one feasible to use.
But I love it anyway thanks to the 630 wheels and
cross levers for the rim brakes.

cloth tape holds moisture against the finish; poor
choice of material.

Against the finish?

The paint.

--
JS
Old July 26th 18, 11:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 7/25/2018 11:41 AM, Emanuel Berg wrote:
The tape is from tesa. It is even an illustration of
a bike on the back side of the case. I also use it for
hockey sticks. I would think it one of the best tape
rolls in the inventory for the purpose, but actually
I don't like sticky tape *at all* on bikes! But for
handlebar wrappings and cases such as this I suppose
there is no getting "around" it.

Of course there is a way of getting around it. You get around it by
using the proper product for the job instead of a kludge with hose
clamps that saves a few Euros (or whatever).

http://www.zefal.com/en/bottle-cages-thermoplastic/60-gizmo-universal.html

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00OS6HKIM

http://www.minoura.jp/english/accessory-e/bh95x-e.html

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0030L4LRE
Old July 26th 18, 05:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

James writes:

cloth tape holds moisture against the finish; poor
choice of material.

Against the finish?

The paint.

OK, well it is possible it holds water more than other
kind of tape, I mean, it makes sense. Not that it
matters in this case but I'll think of it the next
time I do it.

BTW there is a new "Gorilla" tape [1] on the market
that has an elaborate box/homepage with a gorilla
depicted But who cares as long as the product
itself is good? It seems good to me and has a more
shiny touch than the tesa tape.

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gorilla_Tape

Old July 27th 18, 12:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

sms writes:

You get around it by using the proper product for
the job instead of a kludge with hose clamps that
saves a few Euros (or whatever).

Well, to me the hose clamp is just another item (like
a bolt or penny washer or whatever) and I don't have
any feelings associated with/to it whatsoever, and
while I care about the looks of a bike, even if
I would consider the clamp inelegant such a small item
can't do harm to any extent that matters to the
whole vehicle!

As always, it is just a bike! (or clamp)

Much more important is that it sticks, is easy to
apply, is solid and do not make an annoying sound.

--
underground experts exiled
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573

drill drill drill [email protected] Techniques 4 June 19th 17 01:22 AM
OT Torx drill bit Judith[_4_] UK 56 March 13th 12 09:25 AM
Bosch GSB 14.4 2-Li 14.4V Li-Ion Combi Drill [email protected] UK 2 May 19th 11 11:47 PM
How to drill a nightrider 36 rim? flyer Unicycling 33 November 5th 08 04:16 PM
Can I safely drill through Chromoplastic? Yonatan Mazuz Techniques 9 January 9th 06 01:12 AM