Marginal gains

Old July 18th 18, 07:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

Default Marginal gains

I have three generations of shoes at the moment. I just bought a new
pair because the pair I was using have started to fall apart. I'm
slowly ripping the upper from the sole.

All three pairs are Shimano. The oldest, that I will now throw away,
have a fibreglass sole, and weigh 826g (with cleats).

The pair I am replacing has a CFRP sole, and weighs 675g (with cleats).

Incidentally, they are predominantly white. I seem to recall Lou
somewhat scoffing my choice of colour, saying they wont stay white for
long, or some such. Nonsense. They don't look very dirty, and I don't
clean them. I might hose them off after a wet ride, if they're lucky.

The new pair weigh 630g (with cleats).

The new pair are black. They look and feel ok to me. Shimano RP501 in
size 46 EU.

Marginal gains.

--
JS
Old July 18th 18, 09:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Wednesday, July 18, 2018 at 8:23:56 AM UTC+2, James wrote:
[...]

My situation changed:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/WiETzciuYHzYSi2NA

I still prefer black ones but I had to have two different colors because they differ half a size; one for thick socks for early season and one for thin socks for mid season (white ones). The white one aready look ehhh, not so white anymore. I can live with that.
Shimano shoes are relative heavy as my Sidis are, in my opinion unnecessary.. Friend of mine has Mavic shoes which are really light. My wide foots unfortunately don't go along with the Mavic's.

Lou
Old July 18th 18, 05:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Wednesday, July 18, 2018 at 1:34:12 AM UTC-7, wrote:
[...]

What insoles are you using?

-- Jay Beattie.
Old July 18th 18, 11:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 18/07/18 18:34, wrote:
[...]

Haha. I don't need bigger shoes to accommodate thick socks. My
neoprene booties are sufficient for our mild winters. (In fact where I
live now, I haven't needed booties for a couple of years.)

I have stuck with Shimano shoes for a while now because I find them
comfortable and I can buy them online and know they will fit. The
weight doesn't really bother me. Of course if it did and price was of
no concern ... https://cyclingtips.com/2014/05/adam...-custom-shoes/

--
JS
Old July 19th 18, 07:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Wednesday, July 18, 2018 at 6:05:00 PM UTC+2, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

The ones that came with the shoes.

Lou
Old July 19th 18, 10:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

jbeattie writes:

I still prefer black ones but I had to have two
different colors because they differ half a size;
one for thick socks for early season and one for
thin socks for mid season (white ones). The white
one aready look ehhh, not so white anymore. I can
live with that. Shimano shoes are relative heavy as
my Sidis are, in my opinion unnecessary. Friend of
mine has Mavic shoes which are really light.
My wide foots unfortunately don't go along with
the Mavic's.

What insoles are you using?

Ha ha ha And what colors are they?!

--
underground experts exiled
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573
Old July 19th 18, 11:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

Ha ha ha And what colors are they?!

Sorry, that was unpleasant. I actually agree that
colors are important. As Comrade Liebermann said on
this forum, you don't ride a bike, you wear it. And if
the shoes are attached to the bike, they could be
considered part of it, right?

Old July 19th 18, 11:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

As Comrade Liebermann said on this forum, you don't
ride a bike, you wear it. And if the shoes are
attached to the bike, they could be considered part
of it, right?

Perhaps we should login to forum where they discuss
shoes! Then we could tell them, hey, listen up girls,
shoes are actually quite important! Why? You wear
them

Old July 19th 18, 12:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

On Thu, 19 Jul 2018 12:05:09 +0200, Emanuel Berg
wrote:

As Comrade Liebermann said on this forum, you don't
ride a bike, you wear it. And if the shoes are
attached to the bike, they could be considered part
of it, right?

Perhaps we should login to forum where they discuss
shoes! Then we could tell them, hey, listen up girls,
shoes are actually quite important! Why? You wear
them

"Listen up girls"?? Don't men wear shoes in Europe?
--

Cheers,

John B.
Old July 19th 18, 12:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

John B. Slocomb writes:

As Comrade Liebermann said on this forum, you
don't ride a bike, you wear it. And if the shoes
are attached to the bike, they could be considered
part of it, right?

Perhaps we should login to forum where they discuss
shoes! Then we could tell them, hey, listen up
girls, shoes are actually quite important! Why?
You wear them

"Listen up girls"?? Don't men wear shoes in Europe?

Not to the point that it becomes a conversation topic.

--
underground experts exiled

Why Obama is President (marginal cycling content) Tēm ShermĒn™ °_°[_2_] Techniques 4 March 2nd 11 07:39 PM
My gains Brian G UK 8 April 3rd 07 01:32 PM
Pretty Marginal Road ray Australia 0 January 28th 06 06:28 AM
Roberts gains Tour de France start [email protected] Australia 2 June 28th 05 06:42 AM