dork communters

Old July 20th 18, 02:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

Default dork communters

I must say I really dislike these "dork" commuters
that I see from Monark, DBS, etc. They are the new
iteration of the standard bike, and are solid bikes,
but

- old bikes had steel frames, these are aluminium
which is obviously not as cool and makes for bikes
with really wide tubes to compensate, and still end
up wobbly sometimes

- old bikes were almost never, ever black, virtually
all "dorks" are (old bikes were bright color, sky
blue etc.)

- old bikes had rim dynamo, these have Shimano
hub dynamo. I never liked the old dynamos, so here
is a point for the new bikes.

- old bikes had side-pull hand brake on the front wheel
if they were three speed, new have linear pull or
V-brakes, which perhaps are better in some sense but
many who ride these bikes (which all have coaster
brakes) never use the hand brake anyway

- old bikes had a Torpedo three speed or single speed
hub, these have the equivalent from Shimano, Nexus
and all that which are equivalent IMO

So why people pay insane amounts to get virtually what
they had as kids is beyond me. Or actually that is the
answer. They are so used to what they once and
henceforth did so now when they have some money as
young adults they buy the same thing, only for much
more money, money they could have used to buy a real
fun, fast road bike instead. But they don't understand
that because they never tried it and believes its for
sport only. And if they really want what they had as
kids why not buy it second hand and get the same, in
some aspects even better, for a fifth or tenths of
the sum?

--
underground experts exiled
Old July 20th 18, 03:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 7/19/2018 8:42 PM, Emanuel Berg wrote:
[...]

Simple but true answer is,"That's what sells". In your
neighborhood in Sweden anyway.

So why people pay insane amounts to get virtually what
they had as kids is beyond me.

Just as truly, "When the customer becomes the problem,
you're in the wrong business". Wise words.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old July 20th 18, 04:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

AMuzi writes:

Simple but true answer is,"That's what sells".
In your neighborhood in Sweden anyway.

DBS is Norwegian... But other than that, yeah.

So why people pay insane amounts to get virtually
what they had as kids is beyond me.

Just as truly, "When the customer becomes the problem,
you're in the wrong business". Wise words.

I'm in the wrong business. Ha ha ha. No kidding.

--
underground experts exiled

Video: Dork on homemade giraffe iridemymuni Unicycling 11 June 9th 06 04:15 PM
Video: Dork on homemade giraffe Jerrick Unicycling 0 June 8th 06 06:04 AM
Dork! MartinM UK 3 July 30th 05 05:59 PM
Slow FOG and Dork bike Photo Tom Sherman Techniques 0 December 22nd 04 12:45 PM
Dork Cyclists Documented McTavish Social Issues 4 December 15th 04 10:27 PM