public policy theory discovers bicycles

Old July 24th 18, 02:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default public policy theory discovers bicycles

Section #114 he

https://transportation.house.gov/upl...y_section_.pdf

Which is roughly the level of current motor vehicle tire
tax, a fixture of Federal budgets since 1918. I'll hold my
breath for the Skateboard Wheel Tax.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old July 24th 18, 11:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2018-07-24 06:05, AMuzi wrote:
Section #114 he

https://transportation.house.gov/upl...y_section_.pdf

Which is roughly the level of current motor vehicle tire tax, a fixture
of Federal budgets since 1918.

That'll create lots of jobs. In Thailand and China.

... I'll hold my breath for the Skateboard Wheel Tax.

How about a shoe tax? And a CO2 tax per cubic-inch of lung volume. If
not paid some government goon will tape mouth and nose shut.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old July 25th 18, 01:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On 2018-07-24 06:05, AMuzi wrote:
Section #114 he

https://transportation.house.gov/upl...y_section_.pdf

Which is roughly the level of current motor vehicle tire tax, a fixture
of Federal budgets since 1918.

That'll create lots of jobs. In Thailand and China.

... I'll hold my breath for the Skateboard Wheel Tax.

How about a shoe tax? And a CO2 tax per cubic-inch of lung volume. If
not paid some government goon will tape mouth and nose shut.

You want all that infrastructure including bike paths and lanes. Somebody's got to pay for it. An excise tax on tires will not skip foreign manufactured goods. Sellers of those goods in the US have to pay the tax, and it gets passed on to you in the price -- like the alcohol and tobacco taxes. If you import tires directly from Thailand, it gets collected by CBP along with custom duty and the other border add-ons like the Merchandise Processing Fee. YOU'RE SCREWED! Donald Trump is personally screwing you. The liberal snowflakes love bike tires and would not screw you -- except in Oregon where the ONLY consumer product with a separate sales tax is a bicycle. https://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-n...e_only_bi.html $15 smackers. But no tire tax. You can even open-carry your tires in Oregon.

The good news is that the posted discussion draft isn't even a bill yet. The commie liberals from Oregon will put the brakes on the tire tax. https://blumenauer.house.gov/congressional-bike-caucus Call me Earl. I actually know Earl and will tell him to stand up to the bike tire tax! No bike tire tax!! (continue chanting). Maybe we can get them to tax something else, like wood pellets or analog and mixed signal circuit designs.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old July 25th 18, 02:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 2018-07-24 06:05, AMuzi wrote:
Section #114 he

[...]

We haven't had a domestic bicycle tire (or tube) since, oh,
1978? somewhere about then anyway.

Old July 25th 18, 03:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David Scheidt

AMuzi wrote:
:On 7/24/2018 7:10 PM, jbeattie wrote:
: On Tuesday, July 24, 2018 at 3:59:35 PM UTC-7, Joerg wrote:
: On 2018-07-24 06:05, AMuzi wrote:
: Section #114 he
:
[...]

What about our local whacko?

--
sig 42
Old July 25th 18, 03:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 7/24/2018 9:05 PM, David Scheidt wrote:
AMuzi wrote:
[...]

My hat's off to Doug Cimperman, and he owns the perseverance
award, but he's not a commercial enterprise.

Yet.

Old July 25th 18, 03:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 7/24/2018 9:54 PM, AMuzi wrote:

We haven't had a domestic bicycle tire (or tube) since, oh, 1978?
somewhere about then anyway.

I visited a fairly new bike shop in Akron, Ohio last week. They proudly
showed some newly available Goodyear bike tires. Goodyear (and B.F.
Goodrich, etc.) were founded in Akron, so there was some local pride
apparent. But I didn't think to ask if the tire was made in America.

BTW, my wife and I were once lucky enough to get a nice ride in a
Goodyear blimp. It's one of our treasured memories, and something not
many people get to enjoy.

Tying things together a bit: Akron has a (tiny) Lighter Than Air
society. http://www.blimpinfo.com/ They and I have some mutual
contacts, and just yesterday I was able to send them an obscure old
article from _Human Power_ magazine about the White Dwarf one person,
pedal powered blimp.

http://home.teleport.com/~reedg/whitedwarf.html

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old July 25th 18, 11:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sepp Ruf

Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 7/24/2018 9:54 PM, AMuzi wrote:

We haven't had a domestic bicycle tire (or tube) since, oh, 1978?
somewhere about then anyway.

I visited a fairly new bike shop in Akron, Ohio last week. They proudly
showed some newly available Goodyear bike tires. Goodyear (and B.F.
Goodrich, etc.) were founded in Akron, so there was some local pride
apparent. But I didn't think to ask if the tire was made in America.

-- Joergville (and Vittoriacitta) abstract: Forget about it, Goodyear would
be big in Cameron Park, but they are NOT made in Thailand! --

Were they made in America, you would not have missed the "Proudly made in
...." labels and flags. They are made "in Taiwan by an as-yet unnamed
manufacturing partner."

So the manufacturing is a limited investment effort. And the designs also
display limited originality. An MTBR contributor claimed,
"There's a Gato clone, a Nobby Nic clone, a Bontrager SE5 copy, and what
looks to be a Maxxis Shorty clone.
Other than the NN, you could do a lot worse when it comes to cloning your
competitors' tires."

Currently, the price ratio of natural rubber / gasoline is unusually low, so
don't forget to ask for a chunky discount or gas coupon when traveling (by
truck or by non-hp blimp) to buy a couple of bicycle tires at a sparkling
new bike shop!
Old July 26th 18, 12:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

https://www.amchamthailand.com/ACCT/...asp?CorpID=503

Were they made in America, you would not have missed the "Proudly made in
..." labels and flags. They are made "in Taiwan by an as-yet unnamed
manufacturing partner."

So the manufacturing is a limited investment effort. And the designs also
display limited originality. An MTBR contributor claimed,
"There's a Gato clone, a Nobby Nic clone, a Bontrager SE5 copy, and what
looks to be a Maxxis Shorty clone.
Other than the NN, you could do a lot worse when it comes to cloning your
competitors' tires."

Currently, the price ratio of natural rubber / gasoline is unusually low, so
don't forget to ask for a chunky discount or gas coupon when traveling (by
truck or by non-hp blimp) to buy a couple of bicycle tires at a sparkling
new bike shop!

--

Cheers,

John B.
Old July 26th 18, 11:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 2018-07-24 06:05, AMuzi wrote:
Section #114 he

https://transportation.house.gov/upl...y_section_.pdf

Which is roughly the level of current motor vehicle tire tax, a fixture
of Federal budgets since 1918.

That'll create lots of jobs. In Thailand and China.

Â* ... I'll hold my breath for the Skateboard Wheel Tax.

How about a shoe tax? And a CO2 tax per cubic-inch of lung volume. If
not paid some government goon will tape mouth and nose shut.

I recall that in my home state, the vehicle license fee was based on
vehicle weight, not on vehicle value as in California. Until 1977
Florida license plates even indicated the weight. If there was a D after
the county number it was light, no letter it was moderate, then there
was W for heavy, and WW for very heavy. E was for a rental car,
regardless of weight.

For bicycles, it should be a weight+rider tax.