My Bike Path in the News

Old July 26th 18, 10:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Default My Bike Path in the News

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018...biohazard.html

That is one of my commute routes, which is now a toxic waste dump. The ICE protesters and their homeless minions actually built a wall to keep me and the other cyclists out. Build that wall! I don't think they got the irony. https://www.oregonlive.com/portland/..._clearing.html

The curb cut to the trail is right through the blue tarp. https://media.koin.com/nxs-kointv-me...0_1280_720.jpg

During the early phases of the occupation, I was just blowing through it on my bike, exercising my First Amendment right to tell the dopes to get the f*** off the bike path. Then it turned into a scene from Night of the Living Dead, with zoned-out people sitting in the trail or staggering all over muttering, and I had to find alternative routes.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old July 27th 18, 12:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2018-07-26 14:18, jbeattie wrote:
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018...biohazard.html

That is one of my commute routes, which is now a toxic waste dump.
The ICE protesters and their homeless minions actually built a wall
to keep me and the other cyclists out. Build that wall! I don't
think they got the irony.
https://www.oregonlive.com/portland/..._clearing.html

The curb cut to the trail is right through the blue tarp.
https://media.koin.com/nxs-kointv-me...0_1280_720.jpg

Disgusting. You may need more conservative city leader who don't let
things deteriorate that far.

During the early phases of the occupation, I was just blowing
through it on my bike, exercising my First Amendment right to tell
the dopes to get the f*** off the bike path. Then it turned into a
scene from Night of the Living Dead, with zoned-out people sitting in
the trail or staggering all over muttering, and I had to find
alternative routes.

During today's ride a woman was blocking my side of a bike path with her
overflowing shopping car. She was constantly screaming at herself. It's
sad, she was a beautiful younger woman but totally wasted. Probably
another OD case.

On a longhaul bike path something almost miraculous happened today. A
homelesss guy on a bike came from the other direction, big plastic bag
on top of his handlebar. On such lonely stretches of pavement I usually
greet other riders. Homeless hardly ever react but this guy
enthusiastically wished me a good day. Couldn't believe it. There is
hope for this guy.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old July 27th 18, 01:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Thu, 26 Jul 2018 14:18:35 -0700 (PDT), jbeattie
wrote:

That is one of my commute routes, which is now a toxic waste dump...

When the authorities are done cleaning up the Portland homeless camps,
could you send them my direction and ask them to clean up ours?
https://www.google.com/search?q=santa+cruz+homeless+camp&tbm=isch
If not, would you mind if we ship our homeless to Portland now that
you have some empty space for them?

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old July 27th 18, 01:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

wrote:

That is one of my commute routes, which is now a toxic waste dump...

When the authorities are done cleaning up the Portland homeless camps,
could you send them my direction and ask them to clean up ours?
https://www.google.com/search?q=santa+cruz+homeless+camp&tbm=isch
If not, would you mind if we ship our homeless to Portland now that
you have some empty space for them?

Jeff, you need to put your considerable intellect to solving the homeless problem. Buying them bus passes to Cameron Park has proved to be too expensive. I'm at wits' end.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old July 27th 18, 04:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

wrote:

That is one of my commute routes, which is now a toxic waste dump...

When the authorities are done cleaning up the Portland homeless camps,
could you send them my direction and ask them to clean up ours?
https://www.google.com/search?q=santa+cruz+homeless+camp&tbm=isch
If not, would you mind if we ship our homeless to Portland now that
you have some empty space for them?

Where are all these homeless, that I read about here, coming from? I
read one news article that alleged that the homeless in the Bay Area
were the results of extremely high rental rates in the area but how
did rental rates get that way? After all rental rates follow the same
economic laws as any other financial activity. You can only have high
prices where there people to pay them :-)

Where did all these high rent payers come from? Are a lot of people
immigrating from S. California? Industries going bust? Only in the Bay
Area? Where are these improvised people coming from?

Old July 27th 18, 09:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

wrote:

That is one of my commute routes, which is now a toxic waste dump...

When the authorities are done cleaning up the Portland homeless camps,
could you send them my direction and ask them to clean up ours?
https://www.google.com/search?q=santa+cruz+homeless+camp&tbm=isch
If not, would you mind if we ship our homeless to Portland now that
you have some empty space for them?

Where are all these homeless, that I read about here, coming from? I
read one news article that alleged that the homeless in the Bay Area
were the results of extremely high rental rates in the area but how
did rental rates get that way? After all rental rates follow the same
economic laws as any other financial activity. You can only have high
prices where there are people to pay them :-)

Old July 27th 18, 03:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

wrote:

[...]

Some of the homeless are due to the high cost of housing, but many, in
San Francisco, are due to a) the loss of SRO (single room occupancy)
hotels that were in now-gentrified neighborhoods, b) Ronald Reagan
https://www.salon.com/2013/09/29/ronald_reagans_shameful_legacy_violence_the_homele ss_mental_illness/,
and c) rent control, which has caused many older properties, that were
affordable, to be converted to TIC (Tenants In Common) for-sale housing,
with the previous tenants being evicted, so there is less rental housing
available.

The rental prices reflect increased demand from so many tech companies
with highly-paid employees. San Francisco added eight times as many jobs
as housing units in recent years. Cities like commercial office space
which generates more income and costs less in government services than
housing.

San Francisco has also become a bedroom community for many employees of
Silicon Valley companies, with free bus transportation provided by
Facebook, Google, Apple, etc., and since they work on the bus, the
commute time is part of their workday. They willingly commute an hour or
more each way, each day, because they want to live in a more exciting
place, even though it's usually much more expensive per square foot than
housing closer to their jobs. There is a lot of animosity, by those
displaced, to the tech buses
https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2018/05/31/protesters-block-google-buses-scooters-fight-techsploitation/661076002/.

Since there's not much money in retaining lower cost housing, or in
building new affordable housing, new for-profit housing is all luxury,
with very high rents, except for a small portion of mandated BMR (below
market rate) housing with strict qualifications. The BMR housing is not
free, and most of the homeless could either not afford it, or make too
much to qualify (if you include the "homeless" living in RVs parked
along roads that have decentjobs but just don't want to spend so much on
rent). Contrary to popular belief, it's actually much more costly, per
unit, to build a high-rise than a low rise, so the only way to make it
financially feasible is to make the housing all high-end.

There are some people, some well intentioned, some not, that come to
government meetings and recite a list of talking points provided to
them. Some genuinely believe what they are saying, others recite them
for more nefarious reasons. They must believe that the law of supply and
demand is an actual state law, though they never mention the demand side.
Old July 27th 18, 04:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

jbeattie writes:

That is one of my commute routes, which is now
a toxic waste dump.

Organize homeless people and completely marginalized
activists that do not even get enough food or sleep
a single day or night of the week, and have them carry
out a political protest, and they don't even look like
tidy workers on the 1st May parade!

But I agree it is a total disgrace, only with THEM, it
cannot look/be in any other way.

--
underground experts exiled
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573
Old July 27th 18, 05:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Friday, July 27, 2018 at 8:38:18 AM UTC-7, Emanuel Berg wrote:
jbeattie writes:

That is one of my commute routes, which is now
a toxic waste dump.

Organize homeless people and completely marginalized
activists that do not even get enough food or sleep
a single day or night of the week, and have them carry
out a political protest, and they don't even look like
tidy workers on the 1st May parade!

But I agree it is a total disgrace, only with THEM, it
cannot look/be in any other way.

This started as an ICE protest populated by the usual Bohemians and turned into a homeless camp, which is the ordinary arc of protests in Portland, including Occupy Portland. Protests must include camping these days. The homeless are just opportunistic and show up for the amenities. I'd bet the serious-minded protesters had long departed before the site devolved to its final state of decrepitude. At the end, the people I saw staggering around the site appeared to be drug affect, mentally ill or both.

SMS talks about the "mainstreaming" of the mentally ill -- which is a trend that started decades ago and doesn't explain the influx of homeless in Portland in the last 10-15 years. We're not talking about people who were crushed by an economic downturn. It's not Hooverville. It's Crazyville and Criminalville. I'd settle for Hooverville -- those people were economic victims, and you can fix that.

-- Jay Beattie.

bicycle kiddy path news AMuzi Techniques 4 December 13th 16 01:20 AM
LA bike path news AMuzi Techniques 14 September 12th 16 11:33 PM
Cincinnati Bike Path News Garrison Hilliard Rides 1 July 28th 14 08:36 PM
Shared cycle path - auditorially distracted pedestro-kretins stepping into the path of cycles Light of Aria[_2_] UK 59 March 9th 09 07:17 PM
Some GOOD news about a cycle path for a change! John Burns UK 6 October 18th 05 02:03 PM