Saddle sore solutions?

Old July 29th 18, 03:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

Default Saddle sore solutions?

Duane writes:

You need the shop to measure you for the right size
saddle as well.

Well, let's not exaggerate the complexity of this.
For commuting and everyday road biking you can go to
a mall and examine their inventory. One of them will
do for the vast majority of customers, and
aren't expensive.

People like to think everyone has a unique body!
I mean, I suppose they do in the the mathematical sense
but for practical purposes we are we are all very much
the same, otherwise for example physicians would have
a hard time if every routine fracture in a bone
suddenly had a unique solution!

Don't let this inhibit anyone from getting a comfy
saddle, of course.

BTW no one has mentioned the saddles with a hole in
the middle. Does this actually help females sit more
comfy or is it just another bogus idea to sell
merchandise? Because again the vast majority of female
riders have the same stuff as the men and this doesn't
seem to be an issue to anyone.

--
underground experts exiled
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573
Old July 29th 18, 03:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2018-07-29 03:23, Tosspot wrote:
On 28/07/18 21:48, Joerg wrote:
On Friday I talked to a woman who rides very little because the saddle
causes her pain after a short time. Most likely this is a combination
of factors, the hardness of usual road bike saddles plus the fact that
road bikes have no suspension whatsoever and hard tires.

MTB saddles are often a little cushier. Then there are thud-buster
type systems but that's more for hard MTB riding which she doesn't do.
Maybe there are similar systems for road bikes?

Are there recommendations what could be done without breaking the bank
and without switching to a slow beach cruiser?

Contact points are a very personal thing and bear no relation to
cost[1], I would first make sure it is at the correct angle/height etc.
Then borrow some old saddles of someone. Everyone has a collection, and
see if any of them are more comfortable, and work from there.

Bottom line, if a 10 dollar saddle is comfy, be very happy, if a 300
dollar saddle is comfy, spunk the 300, because nothing else will be
comfy :-(

I was lucky with my road bike. The current saddle is a Chinese Vader
saddle. Cost me $12 and works very well but is now wearing down and I
can't find them anymore. Lots of people said "I want one of those!",
maybe because of the Vader theme.

[1] I use M324s on all my bikes, Brooks B17s and one Colt, Ergo GP1s for
flat handlebars (good quality cork on the drops). Will never change
from this, because, the only way is down.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old July 29th 18, 03:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2018-07-29 06:24, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Saturday, July 28, 2018 at 3:47:52 PM UTC-4, Joerg wrote:
On Friday I talked to a woman who rides very little because the
saddle causes her pain after a short time. Most likely this is a
combination of factors, the hardness of usual road bike saddles
plus the fact that road bikes have no suspension whatsoever and
hard tires.

MTB saddles are often a little cushier. Then there are thud-buster
type systems but that's more for hard MTB riding which she doesn't
do. Maybe there are similar systems for road bikes?

Are there recommendations what could be done without breaking the
bank and without switching to a slow beach cruiser?

-- Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Well, first off there's a huge difference between a "Saddle Sore" and
a sore behind.

Women often require a shorter but wider saddle than men do. Avocet
used to make womens saddles as did other manufacturers.

What kind of bicycle is she riding? What type of saddle? How is it
positioned ie nose high? How does she ride - upright or bent over? An
image of HER bike and saddle posted somewhere and linked to here
would be a big help.

Is the bicycle the right size for her?

I believe so but I'll have to ask her. I think Jay's suggestion is best,
for her to visit a good bike shop that caters to road bike riders.

Since I don't have such problems I thought there was an easy solution
like "Buy this kind of orthopedic saddle and the problems are gone" but
I guess not. I thought it was like for the office where my back pain
almost became a non-issue after my wife got me an orthopedic chair with
a knee rest but no back rest. That was really expensive but it did the
trick.

Old July 29th 18, 03:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2018-07-29 07:19, AMuzi wrote:
On 7/28/2018 2:48 PM, Joerg wrote:
On Friday I talked to a woman who rides very little because
the saddle causes her pain after a short time. Most likely
this is a combination of factors, the hardness of usual road
bike saddles plus the fact that road bikes have no
suspension whatsoever and hard tires.

MTB saddles are often a little cushier. Then there are
thud-buster type systems but that's more for hard MTB riding
which she doesn't do. Maybe there are similar systems for
road bikes?

Are there recommendations what could be done without
breaking the bank and without switching to a slow beach
cruiser?

There are no snappy answers.

Although, as you suggest, saddle shape and padding* or lack thereof can
be significant, my experience is that rider position is a first order
variable and overshadows all else.

Once you spend a few minutes analyzing her position and correcting as
needed then listen to what she says about the saddle itself.

For me, without changing anything else, a Cinelli #5 or Turbo is great
but the beautiful sleek Concor (which may be 'the same shape' to the
casual observer) is a torture device. When I was young my favorite
saddle was an Ideale 90IR, completely and utterly different from the
(unrideable for me) Brooks Pro. YMMV and hers will too.

I was really happy with a leather Selle Royale but some day it broke in
the middle and I couldn't find them anywhere.

* With normal road bars, padding is less important. With hi-rise bars,
the weight shift and change in pelvis angle indicates a much wider and
squishier saddle, AEBE.

It's a road bike with drop bars. AFAIK it's adjusted correctly for her
but still it is probably best for her to visit a bike shop, with bike,
like Jay suggested.

Old July 29th 18, 07:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 7/29/2018 10:19 AM, AMuzi wrote:

For me, without changing anything else, a Cinelli #5 or Turbo is great
but the beautiful sleek Concor (which may be 'the same shape' to the
casual observer) is a torture device. When I was young my favorite
saddle was an Ideale 90IR, completely and utterly different from the
(unrideable for me) Brooks Pro.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who found a Brooks Pro to be unrideable.
It seemed a bit of an embarrassment to me.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old July 29th 18, 07:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 7/29/2018 10:39 AM, Emanuel Berg wrote:
Duane writes:

You need the shop to measure you for the right size
saddle as well.

Well, let's not exaggerate the complexity of this.
For commuting and everyday road biking you can go to
a mall and examine their inventory. One of them will
do for the vast majority of customers, and
aren't expensive.

People like to think everyone has a unique body!
I mean, I suppose they do in the the mathematical sense
but for practical purposes we are we are all very much
the same, otherwise for example physicians would have
a hard time if every routine fracture in a bone
suddenly had a unique solution!

ISTM that people do have significant anatomical differences that
influence saddle comfort. At one point a good friend sold me the very
nice saddle that came on his brand new Santana tandem because it was
terrible for him. It's still great for me, at least 15 years later.

Nobody is surprised that people have to try on shoes in order to find
ones that are comfortable. I think the same situation applies to bike
saddles. Sure, there are similarities between people's butts. But given
that you'll spend lots of time in heavy contact with the saddle, it's
not surprising to me that different saddles work for different people.
BTW no one has mentioned the saddles with a hole in
the middle. Does this actually help females sit more
comfy or is it just another bogus idea to sell
merchandise? Because again the vast majority of female
riders have the same stuff as the men and this doesn't
seem to be an issue to anyone.

Again, I think it depends on the rider. My wife seems more comfortable
with a saddle with a center hole or valley. Other female friends are
fine without it.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old July 29th 18, 08:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

Frank Krygowski writes:

Nobody is surprised that people have to try on shoes
in order to find ones that are comfortable. I think
the same situation applies to bike saddles.

You walk with shoes but you just sit on a saddle.
A better analogy would be furniture. A small inventory
of chairs should do for the vast majority of people
without anyone having to measure different parts of
their bodies.

Old July 29th 18, 08:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_3_]

On 29/07/18 20:11, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 7/29/2018 10:19 AM, AMuzi wrote:

For me, without changing anything else, a Cinelli #5 or Turbo is great
but the beautiful sleek Concor (which may be 'the same shape' to the
casual observer) is a torture device. When I was young my favorite
saddle was an Ideale 90IR, completely and utterly different from the
(unrideable for me) Brooks Pro.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who found a Brooks Pro to be unrideable.
It seemed a bit of an embarrassment to me.

I spent nearly a thousand miles on a Selle San Marco Rolls, likely one
of the most rated saddles of its' time. Towards the end my arse was in
open revolt, threatening civil war. Gave it to a mate who thought it
was the best bum massage money could buy.

Just goes to show, different strokes for different folks. My backside
still twitches at the mention of that accursed name.
Old July 29th 18, 09:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

On Sun, 29 Jul 2018 21:24:46 +0200, Emanuel Berg
wrote:

Frank Krygowski writes:

Nobody is surprised that people have to try on shoes
in order to find ones that are comfortable. I think
the same situation applies to bike saddles.

You walk with shoes but you just sit on a saddle.
A better analogy would be furniture. A small inventory
of chairs should do for the vast majority of people
without anyone having to measure different parts of
their bodies.

It doesn't appear to be the same. Partially, I suppose, because you
aren't just sitting on a bicycle seat as you are on a chair. Which is
probably why they call it a saddle.

Try it. Sit on a chair for, oh say 4 hours, and then go and ride a
bicycle for the same period of time. Unless your bike has an almost
vertical riding position you will find it a very different sensation.
Old July 29th 18, 09:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

On Sun, 29 Jul 2018 21:41:23 +0200, Tosspot
wrote:

[...]

I find it interesting that price and comfort do not seem to be
related. You couldn't stand a San Marco Rolls and I found that a low
end Velo 1205 saddle suited me perfectly.

Saddle sore! eunie Unicycling 3 August 4th 08 06:34 PM
saddle sore - advice??? ilikebikes UK 13 March 11th 06 10:34 AM
odd saddle sore, sorta [email protected] General 8 May 17th 05 03:32 PM
saddle sore!!!! juggling_unicyclist_joe Unicycling 6 April 3rd 05 07:07 PM
Saddle sore Sb083459 General 4 April 9th 04 04:45 AM