Some bicycling is really expensive for parts

Old August 5th 18, 01:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

Default Some bicycling is really expensive for parts

I was looking at the Mountain Equipment Co-Op site for tires and a cassette for a 700C hybrid that I'm tuning up for a friend. Whilst on the site I saw 26" tire for $240.00 CDN. Vee Tire Co Snowshoe XL Studded 26" Tire https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5047-2...ded-26%22-Tire Btw the tire is made in Thailand.

Then I saw a 12 speed cassette 10 -50 teeth for $611.00 CDN! https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5053-7...Speed-Cassette

What gives with these prices? Car tires are not nearly that expensive and I bet motorcycle tires cost less too.

Baffled by these prices.

Cheers
Old August 5th 18, 04:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

On Sat, 4 Aug 2018 17:24:35 -0700 (PDT), Sir Ridesalot
wrote:

I was looking at the Mountain Equipment Co-Op site for tires and a cassette for a 700C hybrid that I'm tuning up for a friend. Whilst on the site I saw 26" tire for $240.00 CDN. Vee Tire Co Snowshoe XL Studded 26" Tire https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5047-2...ded-26%22-Tire Btw the tire is made in Thailand.

Then I saw a 12 speed cassette 10 -50 teeth for $611.00 CDN! https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5053-7...Speed-Cassette

What gives with these prices? Car tires are not nearly that expensive and I bet motorcycle tires cost less too.

Baffled by these prices.

Cheers

I suspect that is very much a matter of "you want it, we got it". the
extra cost of making a 12 speed cassette would be the cost of making
two more cassette cogs, assuming a road bike type cassette. Many cogs
appear to be stamped out so once the tooling is paid for it would be a
matter of Stamp, Stamp. Plus, of course the cost of the steel plate
used.

I'm fairly sure that this is true of most bicycle parts and
components.
--

Cheers,

John B.
Old August 5th 18, 04:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2018-08-04 17:24, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
I was looking at the Mountain Equipment Co-Op site for tires and a
cassette for a 700C hybrid that I'm tuning up for a friend. Whilst on
the site I saw 26" tire for $240.00 CDN. Vee Tire Co Snowshoe XL
Studded 26" Tire
https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5047-2...ded-26%22-Tire
Btw the tire is made in Thailand.

Buy them elsewhere. Fat tires still have that "novelty mark-up".

https://www.amazon.com/XL-Studded-12.../dp/B00M2LME1S

However, I generally do not spend more than $20 for an MTB tire. IME you
often do not get what you pay for with bike stuff.

Then I saw a 12 speed cassette 10 -50 teeth for $611.00 CDN!
https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5053-7...Speed-Cassette

What gives with these prices? Car tires are not nearly that
expensive and I bet motorcycle tires cost less too.

Baffled by these prices.

It's fashion surcharges. When I was in a bike shop in Placerville and
saw a 50T cassette for the first time my jaw almost dropped when they
told me it's "only" $299. No way. Wait a few years and live with 40T
until they come down in price. When they do I might put one on the road
bike as I get older.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old August 5th 18, 04:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Saturday, August 4, 2018 at 7:24:37 PM UTC-5, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
I was looking at the Mountain Equipment Co-Op site for tires and a cassette for a 700C hybrid that I'm tuning up for a friend. Whilst on the site I saw 26" tire for $240.00 CDN. Vee Tire Co Snowshoe XL Studded 26" Tire https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5047-2...ded-26%22-Tire Btw the tire is made in Thailand.

StarBike in Germany. Low cost for all bike products. 26" Schwalbe Ice Spiker for $41.77 USD. 54.33 Canadian dollars. 361 carbide studs. They have other studded tires from Continental and Nokian. Known brands. Never even heard of this Vee Tire Co you talk about. Not sure where Schwalbe, Continental, Nokian make their tires. China, Taiwan, Vietnam, Thailand, Germany?

Then I saw a 12 speed cassette 10 -50 teeth for $611.00 CDN! https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5053-7...Speed-Cassette

https://www.starbike.com/en/sram-xx1...12-speed-gold/
StarBike has the SRAM XG-1299 12 speed 10-50 cassette for $330 USD. And its GOLD!!!!!!!!! 429 Canadian dollars.

Its very easy to find one retailer that has crazy prices for everything. Maybe this MEC is like that. But 99% of other retailers have normal prices for the same item. Yet some types of people, YOU, use this as an example for all the evil in the world.

Old August 5th 18, 04:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Roger Merriman[_4_]

Joerg wrote:
On 2018-08-04 17:24, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
[...]

I’ve found for road bikes there isn’t a huge difference in tyres, at least
23-28mm road race. But that MTB or even Gravel bikes more expensive ones do
matter, not so much rolling resistance but grip, ie better designed tread
with better ie softer gripper compound, if you live somewhere dry probably
doesn’t matter as much.

Roger Merriman

Old August 5th 18, 05:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Saturday, August 4, 2018 at 8:24:37 PM UTC-4, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
I was looking at the Mountain Equipment Co-Op site for tires and a cassette for a 700C hybrid that I'm tuning up for a friend. Whilst on the site I saw 26" tire for $240.00 CDN. Vee Tire Co Snowshoe XL Studded 26" Tire https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5047-2...ded-26%22-Tire Btw the tire is made in Thailand.

Then I saw a 12 speed cassette 10 -50 teeth for $611.00 CDN! https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5053-7...Speed-Cassette

What gives with these prices? Car tires are not nearly that expensive and I bet motorcycle tires cost less too.

Baffled by these prices.

Cheers

Addendum.

When I made the original post it was because I marveled at the very high price of that tire, cassette and chain. How can any manufacturer justify such a high price for a tire or a cassette?

Cheers
Old August 5th 18, 05:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2018-08-05 08:48, Roger Merriman wrote:
Joerg wrote:
On 2018-08-04 17:24, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
[...]

In the winter it gets very wet and muddy here but I haven't seen much of
a difference between low cost Asian MTB tires and Western "brand name"
ones. Regarding reliability there is a difference. I found the side
walls on Asian tires to be more sturdy and that is most important to me.
They might be an ounce or two heavier but, oh well.

Old August 5th 18, 07:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 8/5/2018 11:08 AM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
[...]

Every product has outliers. A good vintage used mechanical
Swiss watch starts $50 to $100. A good friend once
celebrated a major achievement by buying a new Rado for
$8000. A Rado keeps time as well as anything. YMMV

p.s. tires - check out replacement rubber for a Bugatti
Veyron. Ouch.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old August 5th 18, 07:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 8/5/2018 12:08 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
[...]

http://www.businessdictionary.com/de...ic-demand.html

I'd say some products have (relatively) inelastic demand by the majority
of consumers. Gasoline is a classic example. Some people will drive a
bit less when its price goes up, but most have to just pay what they ask.

But there are products with inelastic demand by a certain subset of
consumers. If Ferrari adds $10,000 to the price of its sexiest car, no
potential customer will say "That does it! I'm not paying _that_ price!!!"

I think the same applies to certain products aimed at super-committed,
tech obsessed, prosperous bike riders. They're satisfied only with the
best, however they define it, and money is no object. Some manufacturers
take advantage of that psychology.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old August 5th 18, 08:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Roger Merriman[_4_]

On 2018-08-05 08:48, Roger Merriman wrote:
Joerg wrote:
On 2018-08-04 17:24, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
[...]

I suspect Welsh wet and muddy is a scale up, bear in mind the hills swallow
stuff, like planes etc.

The posh tyres I use are trail/enduro so they have reinforced sidewalls,
not as heavy as a DH tyre but not far off, come in just a touch under a 1KG
and thus far have shrugged off rock strikes etc, they do come in a Trail
park Version ie hard wearing compound, but I like grip so take the wear
rate hit.

The cheap tyres I’ve used haven’t been worth it as ever mileage varies.

Roger Merriman

Expensive. soup[_3_] UK 1 September 18th 12 08:02 AM
You don't need an expensive bike helmet to ride safely---BHSI LabTests Finds no difference between expensive and cheap helmets. SMS Techniques 99 April 15th 10 02:32 AM
Campy hubs and parts between 2003 Proton and 2002 Eurus parts Chris M Techniques 3 September 25th 08 01:33 PM
Not just SJS that's expensive Danny Colyer UK 3 June 5th 06 06:29 PM
Getting more expensive. Simon Mason UK 9 June 3rd 04 09:44 PM