Mafac cantilever straddle cables

Old August 8th 18, 07:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Mafac cantilever straddle cables

On Wednesday, August 8, 2018 at 5:59:20 AM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
On 8/8/2018 12:14 AM, Tosspot wrote:
On 08/08/18 01:00, Mark J. wrote:
Hi all,

I'm renovating an ancient bike with 70's Mafac cantilever
brakes. I just want to replace the cables*, and the
straddle cables gave me a quandary.

Mafac straddle-cable ends are old-style gearshift cable
lugs, and there's a fitting they goes into to engage the
brake arm.

In the old days, we'd replace the straddle with any good
gear shift cable (Campy's were generally beefier), but
modern index-shift gear cables seem a bit fragile for
brake work.

Thoughts?

Mark J.

*The brake shoes were replaced long ago with Cool-Stop
?Eagle claws?, so that's covered. Mafac pads were a bit
of a fright.

Gear cables are a lot thinner. I'd get a normal brake
straddle and grind the lumps off until they fit.

The hole in Mafac transverse anchors is small for a standard
brake wire, then or now.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

That ad for straddle cables also showed an ad at the bottom for the old Rene Hersh type of set-up.