Hiring bikes in USA

Old July 1st 03, 10:45 PM
Ian

Default Hiring bikes in USA

Will want to hire bikes for a few days while on a US holiday. If I do, will
I be charged lots for a helmet and for other extras like repair kit/spare
tube, so its worth bringing them on the plane from home in the UK?

Can anyone answer?

Many thanks

Old July 1st 03, 10:51 PM
cyclist101

Ian wrote:
Will want to hire bikes for a few days while on a US holiday. If I do, will
I be charged lots for a helmet and for other extras like repair kit/spare
tube, so its worth bringing them on the plane from home in the UK?

Can anyone answer?

It really varies by vendor. Most believe people should ride with helmets
and include them in the rate, others may charge extra. We may be able to
help with names of shops who rent bikes if you give us an idea of where
you're visiting. Hope your holiday is enjoyable.

Old July 3rd 03, 07:15 PM
Dick Durbin

"Ian" wrote in message ...
Will want to hire bikes for a few days while on a US holiday.

For the sake of clarity, when you speak to the folks at an American
shop, tell them you want to RENT a bike. In the US of A the word
"hire" is a synonym for "employ."

Dick Durbin
Old July 3rd 03, 10:14 PM
Karen M.

Ian wrote:
Will want to hire bikes for a few days while on a US holiday. If I do, will
I be charged lots for a helmet and for other extras like repair kit/spare
tube, so its worth bringing them on the plane from home in the UK?

Helmets don't take up much room if you pack them full of clothes.
Ditto tools. (Note: pack your tools in checked baggage. TSA stole my
tool kit in April, even the plastic tire levers and patches. I tried
to get them to explain the inherent danger of a spoke wrench or chain
tool, but they were stupid. Knitting needles, no problem. A 4" long
8/9mm wrench: into the trash, might be dangerous.)
Also bring your shoes and gloves, if you wear them. May as well be
comfortable on a rental bike.
Depending on your destination, it might make sense to buy a bike
and then sell it back to the shop. Some places are very amenable to
this. (I used to work at a shop near a campus, and we'd "sell" bikes
for the summer for $25, buy them back for $10. Great rental fee.)
Where are you going?
HTH
--Karen M.
Old July 4th 03, 02:12 AM
Raptor

Dick Durbin wrote:
"Ian" wrote in message ...

Will want to hire bikes for a few days while on a US holiday.

For the sake of clarity, when you speak to the folks at an American
shop, tell them you want to RENT a bike. In the US of A the word
"hire" is a synonym for "employ."

Dick Durbin

That's decent advice, but if "hire" is spoken with an obviously foreign
accent, the meaning will be pretty clear.

"I'm not proud. We really haven't done everything we could to protect
our customers. Our products just aren't engineered for security."
--Microsoft VP in charge of Windows OS Development, Brian Valentine.