Water in rims?

Old August 1st 05, 10:11 AM

Default Water in rims?

Hi,

It's been raining a bit lately and my rims seem to be permanently full
of water.

Any suggestions on ways to get rims to empty after rides in the rain?

Joseph

Old August 1st 05, 01:26 PM
Pat

: Hi,
:
: It's been raining a bit lately and my rims seem to be permanently full
: of water.
:
: Any suggestions on ways to get rims to empty after rides in the rain?
:
: Joseph

I'd be a lot more worried about the water in your bottom bracket.

Pat in TX
:

Old August 1st 05, 07:42 PM

I hang the bike upside down in the garage and no water seeps out of the
seat post hole, but I removed the seatpost to check. Nice and dry.

Joseph

Old August 1st 05, 11:30 PM
B Paton

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

It's been raining a bit lately and my rims seem to be permanently full
of water.

Any suggestions on ways to get rims to empty after rides in the rain?

Certain Mavic rims are prone to this. Cosmos, some Ksyriums are one I have
seen, but also cxp 13's.

The usual procedure I have seen is to deflate and drain via the spoke
drilling or valve hole drilling, depending on the model.

Are they Mavic rims or some other brand?

Blake

Old August 2nd 05, 12:46 AM
Kinky Cowboy

On Mon, 1 Aug 2005 18:30:22 -0400, "B Paton"
wrote:

wrote in message
roups.com...
Hi,

It's been raining a bit lately and my rims seem to be permanently full
of water.

Any suggestions on ways to get rims to empty after rides in the rain?

Certain Mavic rims are prone to this. Cosmos, some Ksyriums are one I have
seen, but also cxp 13's.

You can add Mavic Ellipse to that list; I've just tipped about 50ml
of water out of my rear wheel. Interestingly, there wasn't a pouring
quantity of water in the front.

Kinky Cowboy*

*Batteries not included
May contain traces of nuts
Your milage may vary

Old August 2nd 05, 09:17 AM

The rims are from FiR. Medium depth section. Right after riding if I
let the bike sit with the valve at the lowest point, I see water
seeping out. But once it seeps out to the level of the valve hole, it
stops. And then if I try to tip it a bit, it just sloshes around to
some other inaccessible place.

Joseph

Old August 12th 05, 06:19 AM
Mike Jacoubowsky

It's been raining a bit lately and my rims seem to be permanently full
of water.

Any suggestions on ways to get rims to empty after rides in the rain?

Joseph

Bontrager started drilling very small holes in the sides of the rims, which
seem quite effective at letting the water escape. Don't know if I'd do it
without consulting the manufacturer though.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com