26 Inch or 24 Inch????

Old July 22nd 03, 02:37 PM
Michael Dart

Default 26 Inch or 24 Inch????

"Wayne" wrote in message
u...
I have noticed latley that some people run 24 inch rims on their bikes
(mainly dirt jumping / freeride, I think). I was just wondering what the
advantages / disadvantages of this would be.

Thanks..

My understanding is 24" wheels accelerate faster and allow you to run wide
3" tyres in frames that weren't designed for them. On the downside they
give the feeling of catching on edges like ditches or rocks where a larger
diameter wheel rolls over them easier.

Mike

Old July 22nd 03, 02:40 PM
Carla A-G

"Wayne" wrote in message
u...
I have noticed latley that some people run 24 inch rims on their bikes
(mainly dirt jumping / freeride, I think). I was just wondering what the
advantages / disadvantages of this would be.

Disadvantage: 24" gives u a lower bb height, less clearance.

Advantage: 24" roll fast.

- CA-G

Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

Old July 22nd 03, 05:52 PM
John Morgan

"Wayne" wrote in message
u...
I have noticed latley that some people run 24 inch rims on their bikes
(mainly dirt jumping / freeride, I think). I was just wondering what the
advantages / disadvantages of this would be.

On the Big Hit, the rear 24" additionally allows for lower center of gravity
and gives the rear swingarm more clearance for longer travel.

The disadvantages, I suppose... are the availability/selection of 24" rims
and tires.

-John Morgan

Old July 26th 03, 08:07 AM
Westie

Westie
"Wayne" wrote in message
u...
I have noticed latley that some people run 24 inch rims on their bikes
(mainly dirt jumping / freeride, I think). I was just wondering what the
advantages / disadvantages of this would be.

Thanks..

24" will be/should be stronger and have less rotational torque/weight. Ergo
braking/acceleration should be better.
Rolling clearance won't be as good - they'll fall into holes that 26" would
roll over.

Bike Sizes James Lynx General 12 May 26th 04 12:57 AM
Any hybrids with 20 inch low gear? Don Swaner General 8 March 19th 04 12:31 AM
Replacing old 27 inch rims with 700c? Chris Hansen General 11 January 26th 04 01:09 PM
Difference between cyclocross and 29 inch mtb? Chris Hansen General 5 January 25th 04 01:11 AM