A town that refused the 'Tour

Old July 2nd 07, 05:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Mike Jacoubowsky

Default A town that refused the 'Tour

Interesting piece I found on a French website (in French) while looking for
info on roads in the Pyrenees-
http://www.pyrenees-pireneus.com/tou...07_etape.htm#2

A passable Google translation of the same (sorry about the inevitable
line-wrap)-.
http://translate.google.com/translat...language_tools

=====================================
"The mayor, Herve Lucbéreilh, does not want to spend 50.000 euros (net of
tax) for launching, the next summer, the departure of a stage of the Turn of
France cyclist.
Here what to astonish Oloronais, rather accustomed to an offensive speech on
behalf of a city in search of notoriety.
It is not so a long time still, to accomodate a stage of famous Tour was
however posted like an objective on the side of the town hall (to also read
on page 2-2).

Backing.
Leader of the municipal opposition, Bernard Uthurry does not deprive himself
to comment on the situation: "When one has the ambition like him to
transform Oloron into tourist platform, this backing is surprising. The sum
of 50.000 euros for hours of television, it is more profitable which tons of
paper of local call that one receives in the letter-boxes".
"This sum is gigantic. The repercussions are not", estimates it, for its
part, Herve Lucbéreilh. "Even without the stage, the town halls will be full
with the passage with the Turn in Béarn. This money accounts for 10% of our
clear saving. One cannot reproach me for spending of the million a side and
for wanting to also make economies of the other. I made a political choice.
For me, this investment is unjustified".

Finances.
Bernard Uthurry sees another thing the "I am struck by the non-observance
of the word given. Perhaps that means that it is necessary to worry for the
budget about the city. This sum should represent a water drop".
"Finances of the commune are healthy. But I prefer to spend this money in
the operation of the cribs or the realization of the Districts of summer.
This history is a false event", answers the mayor."

Basically, the Mayor of Oleron refused to pay $50k euro to host the TdF,
much to the dismay of many in his town, and much to the delight of the town
of Orthez. An interesting behind-the-scenes view of one of the world's
biggest sports events.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com