Buying a MTB helmet from the US

Old October 18th 07, 01:39 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Dre

Default Buying a MTB helmet from the US

Hi all, I'm interested in buying a full face helmet. Thing is they are very
expensive here. I can get the equivalent 661 full face helmet from the US
for about half the price for the exact same unit locally here. If I did
however get one in from the US, I would end up getting a much much higher
model with higher ratings (dot for example, but these are not Australian
approvals) as the price would be the same as a lower spec model sold here.

The problem is, if I get one from the US, it wont be Australian approved.
My question is, since the helmets are identical apart from the Australian
approval, whats generally frowned apon when doing this?? Would I not be
allowed to race for example? If all I ever do is personal/fun riding out in
the bush, what is the problem using a non Aus approved helmet?

Thanks for any info.

Cheers Dre

Old October 18th 07, 03:05 AM posted to aus.bicycle
John Tserkezis

Dre wrote:

The problem is, if I get one from the US, it wont be Australian approved.
My question is, since the helmets are identical apart from the Australian
approval, whats generally frowned apon when doing this??

Legalities. Assuming we're talking about the same hats here of course.

Would I not be allowed to race for example?

If they knew about it, likely not. As the organisers are held together with
insurance to cover you for the event, they likely won't (insure you) in the
event of injury, if they found out it wasn't Australian approved.

Insurance companies eat this small technical stuff up for breakfast. That
said, knowing this, the event organisers won't let you through the front door
without that silver sticker with the numbers on it.
And knowing the insurance won't cover it, the organisers will have to -
except they simply can't afford to. So you don't race.

If all I ever do is personal/fun riding out in
the bush, what is the problem using a non Aus approved helmet?

Legalities again, I'll cover all the bases here.

On public marked roads, the road rules say you need to wear an australian
approved helmet. That said, in some areas, the wearing of one is not policed,
but that's another issue.
Injury coverage changes depends on who did what and how you're covered. The
wearing (or not) of an approved helmet will play a part on who pays depending
on (insurance) coverage.

On private land, anything goes, you wan wear a salad bowl if you want, you
are your own boss and can do anything you like. Since the only one
responsible for you, is you, you pay up regardless of type of hat (or lack
thereof).

As far as I'm aware, something like the blue mountain fire trails, since
they're not "public roads" you're on your own again, so again, since you're
the only one responsible, it would be in your best interest to wear an
effective hat.

--
Linux Registered User # 302622
http://counter.li.org
Old October 18th 07, 03:27 AM posted to aus.bicycle
TimC

On 2007-10-18, John Tserkezis (aka Bruce)
Dre wrote:

The problem is, if I get one from the US, it wont be Australian approved.
My question is, since the helmets are identical apart from the Australian
approval, whats generally frowned apon when doing this??

As far as I'm aware, something like the blue mountain fire trails, since
they're not "public roads" you're on your own again, so again, since you're
the only one responsible, it would be in your best interest to wear an
effective hat.

And if you are able to get a higher specced helmet, cheaper, from the
US, then trust your head to the cheaper more effective US model
helmet. Stupid laws; stupid protectionalist trade policies. QED.

--
TimC
That's not a tau-neutrino in my pocket; I've got a hadron.
Old October 18th 07, 03:31 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Dre

"John Tserkezis" wrote in message
Dre wrote:

[...]

Thanks very much for a very detailed response!

Yes the helmets are exactly the same in the US as they are here, same name,
model number, everything, apart from the Australian approval.

Since I would only wear this helmet off road on specific mtb trails (not
even fire trials) in the bush I have a bit of trouble paying more than
double for the same thing from the US...

For normal riding I use my normal type helmet and it is Aus approved. The
full face I'm looking to buy is only for when I decide to go for the big
stuff, big jumps, big drops etc...

hmmmmm, decisions decisions!

Cheers Dre

Old October 18th 07, 04:10 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Zebee Johnstone

In aus.bicycle on Thu, 18 Oct 2007 13:31:24 +1100
Dre wrote:
Yes the helmets are exactly the same in the US as they are here, same name,
model number, everything, apart from the Australian approval.

dunno about pushbike helmets but that is not always the case with
motorcycle helmets.

There is at least one model of motorcycle helmet that is the same name
and model number but the Oz one is different as the US version
*failed* the Oz test.

Zebee
Old October 18th 07, 05:21 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Halcyon

Dre wrote:

[...]

Have you checked out the postage costs from the US...it can be on the
outrageous side.
Halcyon
Old October 18th 07, 05:44 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Dorfus Dippintush

On 2007-10-18, John Tserkezis (aka Bruce)
Dre wrote:

The problem is, if I get one from the US, it wont be Australian approved.
My question is, since the helmets are identical apart from the Australian
approval, whats generally frowned apon when doing this??

As far as I'm aware, something like the blue mountain fire trails, since
they're not "public roads" you're on your own again, so again, since you're
the only one responsible, it would be in your best interest to wear an
effective hat.

And if you are able to get a higher specced helmet, cheaper, from the
US, then trust your head to the cheaper more effective US model
helmet. Stupid laws; stupid protectionalist trade policies. QED.

What rules would you propose Tim?
Old October 18th 07, 05:47 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Dre

On 2007-10-18, John Tserkezis (aka Bruce)
Dre wrote:

[...]

Thats *exactly* what I am thinking. For the same money I can get a much
better helmet from the states than one down here. The equivalent helmet
locally probably cost close to 3 million dollars here (maybe a *slight*
exaggeration, LOL)

Cheers Dre

Old October 18th 07, 05:48 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Dre

Dre wrote:
Yes the helmets are exactly the same in the US as they are here, same
name,
model number, everything, apart from the Australian approval.

dunno about pushbike helmets but that is not always the case with
motorcycle helmets.

There is at least one model of motorcycle helmet that is the same name
and model number but the Oz one is different as the US version
*failed* the Oz test.

Zebee

Noted, thanks for that.

For the record I am talking about the 661 brand and range of helmets.

Cheers Dre

Old October 18th 07, 05:49 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Dre

Dre wrote:

[...]

Yep, all up including postage (postage of $55aus inc handling) it still
works out *just* over half price, awesome savings when you are talking about
a $500 helmet!

Cheers Dre