what is mountain cross?

Old July 22nd 03, 04:01 AM
Penny S.

Default what is mountain cross?

I know what boarder cross and skier cross racing is... should I assume that
mountain cross is the same thing, with four bikes starting down the course
at once? Just wondering as it's one of the NORBA events that I'll be
marshalling ( maybe) For sure, the XC pros race and the Pro Dh practice
runs.

Penny

Old July 22nd 03, 04:22 AM
Slacker

I know what boarder cross and skier cross racing is... should I assume that
mountain cross is the same thing, with four bikes starting down the course
at once? Just wondering as it's one of the NORBA events that I'll be
marshalling ( maybe) For sure, the XC pros race and the Pro Dh practice
runs.

Penny

Formerly known as DS (Dual Slalom) and also called 4X. Norba officially changed the format from a 2 person race to 4 persons. The
courses were also changed to allow four racers on the same course bumping elbows, knees and anything else that gets in the way.
--
Slacker

Old July 22nd 03, 04:40 AM
Slacker

"P e t e F a g e r l i n" wrote in message ...
On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 20:01:50 -0700, "Penny S."
wrote:

|I know what boarder cross and skier cross racing is... should I assume that
|mountain cross is the same thing, with four bikes starting down the course
|at once? Just wondering as it's one of the NORBA events that I'll be
|marshalling ( maybe) For sure, the XC pros race and the Pro Dh practice
|runs.

This:

http://www.paradigmhosting.net/so03/11.jpg

and this:

http://www.paradigmhosting.net/so03/7.jpg

and this:

http://www.paradigmhosting.net/so03/gracia.jpg

And this:

http://www.paradigmhosting.net/so03/longview.jpg

I like your description better. Great shot of Cedric!
--
Slacker

Old July 22nd 03, 05:16 AM
Penny S.

P e t e F a g e r l i n scribbled :
wrote:

I know what boarder cross and skier cross racing is... should I
assume that mountain cross is the same thing, with four bikes
starting down the course at once? Just wondering as it's one of the
NORBA events that I'll be marshalling ( maybe) For sure, the XC pros
race and the Pro Dh practice runs.

This:

http://www.paradigmhosting.net/so03/11.jpg

thanks guys... just another form of mayhem on wheels. We were wondering
what the DS had been replaced with.

penny

Old July 22nd 03, 10:04 AM
bomba

Penny S. wrote:

I know what boarder cross and skier cross racing is... should I assume that
mountain cross is the same thing, with four bikes starting down the course
at once? Just wondering as it's one of the NORBA events that I'll be
marshalling ( maybe) For sure, the XC pros race and the Pro Dh practice
runs.

It's normally called four cross (4X), I believe. As well as Pete's
pics, here are some of mine from Round 1 of the World Cup:
http://j-harris.net/bike/fort_william/ (images 16 to 33)

Old July 22nd 03, 07:03 PM
James Messick

"Penny S." wrote in message
I know what boarder cross and skier cross racing is... should I assume

that
mountain cross is the same thing, with four bikes starting down the course
at once? Just wondering as it's one of the NORBA events that I'll be
marshalling ( maybe) For sure, the XC pros race and the Pro Dh practice
runs.

It's a made-for-tv event that isn't very interesting. Since it requires too
many cameras to do decent coverage of XC and DH racing they have short, not
very technical, downhill courses which can be covered by a few cameras.
Having 4 riders race at once makes it more 'dramatic.'

Old July 23rd 03, 01:56 AM
Mark Webb

Hang on, that guy is just sitting on a chair lift!!!

;-)

Old July 23rd 03, 02:30 AM
Michael Dart

"Mark Webb" wrote in message
Hang on, that guy is just sitting on a chair lift!!!

;-)

Hehehe...I never noticed that!

So's this guy http://www.pbase.com/image/2736714

Mike - it's all in the timing and angles (right Pete?)

Old July 23rd 03, 02:48 PM
kanotspell

JD wrote:
"Penny S." wrote in message ...

I know what boarder cross and skier cross racing is... should I assume that
mountain cross is the same thing, with four bikes starting down the course
at once? Just wondering as it's one of the NORBA events that I'll be
marshalling ( maybe) For sure, the XC pros race and the Pro Dh practice
runs.

Penny

bmx

JD

correction: downhill bmx

Old July 23rd 03, 04:50 PM
JD

"spademan o---[\) *" wrote in message ...
"JD" wrote in message
om...
"Penny S." wrote in message

I know what boarder cross and skier cross racing is... should I assume

that
mountain cross is the same thing, with four bikes starting down the

course
at once? Just wondering as it's one of the NORBA events that I'll be
marshalling ( maybe) For sure, the XC pros race and the Pro Dh practice
runs.

Penny

bmx
JD

If it was BMX the bikes would have no suspension, only a rear brake, there'd
be more jumps, more passes and every rider would have more style than
Cedric: http://www.bmxplosive.com/TripleCrown/TripleCrown.htm

Look at a bmx track. Look at a mountain cross course. Look at a
singletrack through the woods. I rest my case.

JD