Giant or Orbea

Old December 12th 03, 03:28 PM
Reenie

Default Giant or Orbea

Hi there, hoping you might be able to help. I'm looking at two bikes:
a 2004 Giant TCR (not the composite model), and a 2004 Orbea
Marmolada. Does anyone have any experience with any of these bikes
(including older version!) - or these brands?

I can't find any reviews of the Orbea (they're all in Spanish), so any
comments would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Reenie
Old December 12th 03, 06:06 PM
CTRDY01

Hi there, hoping you might be able to help. I'm looking at two bikes:
a 2004 Giant TCR (not the composite model), and a 2004 Orbea

My personal experience with Orbea has been satisfactory. Nothing outstanding
but OK.
I have one in France. I also know of two other people who purchased an Orbea
bike in the same bike shop and both had a bad experience with their frame (it
simply broke after a few rides in both cases).
Granted this was not on the model you reference. In both cases the Bike Shop
guy replaced the carbon frames with no questions asked (obvious manufactoring
defect). Their aluminium weld jobs are a not very tidy, but that is mostly
esthetics. Don't know about their steel frames though. Steel + Carbon fork
ought to give you a comfortable ride though.

- Chris -
http://www.customgetaways.com
Sport Vacations
(Multisport, Cycling, Marathons, etc...)
Old December 13th 03, 09:48 AM
Reenie

Thanks for all of the replies.

At the moment I ride a steel Bianchi which is a very comfortable ride
- so I'm looking for something slightly more aggressive. While I very
much like the look of the Orbea - I've heard a few things about the
fragility of their frames already (which has been repeated here).

Also - while my local bike guy is willing to order me an Orbea (there
are no local dealers and I want to go to a local shop) he does deal in
Giants. So I think I will go for the TCR - which is also slightly less
expensive than the Orbea. I took a look at the TCR yesterday and was
very impressed, there seems to be a few upgrades from the 2003 model.
SO I think that settles it!

Thanks, again.

Reenie

Rick Onanian wrote in message . ..
On 12 Dec 2003 07:28:43 -0800, (Reenie)
wrote:
Hi there, hoping you might be able to help. I'm looking at two bikes:
a 2004 Giant TCR (not the composite model), and a 2004 Orbea
Marmolada. Does anyone have any experience with any of these bikes
(including older version!) - or these brands?

Which TCR?

I have a 2001 TCR2. I love it. It's a great bike. However, it's
entirely too aggressive in it's geometry and componentry for
non-racing use -- I changed out the stem for a 45 degree rise, 130mm
stem, and now I'm pretty happy with the fit. I continue to wish for
a triple whenever I find a long or steep hill.

The Obrea Marmolada looks similarly aggressive. It has nearly the
same gearing range as my TCR2 came with (although the TCR2 was
available in a triple, which I should have gotten). They seem very
similar, except frame material (TCR is Al, Marm is steel) and
component manufacturer (TCR has Shimano, Marm has Campy).

If you're going to be racing, or are very lightweight and flexible,
then either of those bikes ought to be great for you. Else,
consider something a little less aggressive.

Thanks.
Reenie

Old December 14th 03, 02:50 AM
jmcmillanut

I have an Orbea (2002) Altec 2 setup, and I love it -- alum. frame,
carbon fork, full Ultegra. I had read some reviews on Orbea in Bicycling
(a USA periodical) and did some research. You get quality materials,
great construction, and a zippy ride. Have not ridden any Giants, but
would have bought the Orbea anyway, since it's unique. Plus, the "no-
stickers" paint job is really very nice (all logos and designs are
painted on). I'm not a hardcore racer, but I love to ride, and I love
the responsiveness and feel of my bike.

Plus, did you see Iban Mayo crank up the Alp d' Huez on an Orbea in this
year's Tour? It was beautiful.

Old December 14th 03, 11:37 AM
Reenie

I have to confess that seeing Mayo zip up on the Orbea was inspiring,
and perhaps the reason I was considering the Orbea... and it is indeed
a beautiful bike. So I decided that when I return to live in Europe
I'll be getting that Orbea! Indeed my parents live in Spain and I
understand the Orbeas are less expensive there...

Old December 15th 03, 03:48 PM
jmcmillanut

Excellent! Another convert to the church of Orbea!

Enjoy the stellar European riding.

Regards, James

New Giant Bikes Badger South General 29 October 24th 03 03:18 AM
Giant FCR / Trek 1200 Flat Ian G Batten General 5 October 7th 03 07:54 PM