Durable Commuter Bike workup

Old April 24th 08, 12:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Jon Bendtsen

Default Durable Commuter Bike workup

Tom Sherman wrote:
wrote:
Ryan Cousineau wrote:

or a r*cumbent.

Now there is something I want to try... a bent!!

I wish I could find a cheap one tho.... to try out and
make sure I like it and works for me.... before buying
a really good one

Well, you can probably find a decent used 'bent in the $400-500 US range.

You could start with a cruzbike conversion kit and a cheap
Y-frame MTB, that should get you in the same range.

An important consideration with recumbents is that they vary much more
in riding position and handling that uprights do, and what may be most
to one person's taste such as a low bottom bracket, long wheelbase bike
may not be satisfactory for another.

In addition, the 'bent a person finds most to their long term preference
may not be one that is easy for the beginning 'bent rider to adjust to.

The trial and error is great fun, but may be hard on the wallet.

I think you can get a pretty good idea if you try different
kinds of recumbent bikes, but finding them might not be easy.

JonB
Old April 24th 08, 04:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Ryan Cousineau wrote:

If cost really is no object, something like a de-decalled and
painted-black Habanero Ti frame in CX/touring guise would be rust-proof,
bomb-proof, and theft...resistant? It wouldn't have to look like
anything. Light, too.

I've been wanting the above for a long time now!!

Just don't have that kind of cash right now
Old April 24th 08, 05:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

Tom Sherman wrote:

I wish I could find a cheap one tho.... to try out and
make sure I like it and works for me.... before buying
a really good one

Well, you can probably find a decent used 'bent in the $400-500 US range.

An important consideration with recumbents is that they vary much more
in riding position and handling that uprights do, and what may be most
to one person's taste such as a low bottom bracket, long wheelbase bike
may not be satisfactory for another.

In addition, the 'bent a person finds most to their long term preference
may not be one that is easy for the beginning 'bent rider to adjust to.

The trial and error is great fun, but may be hard on the wallet.

Yeah I'm gonna give a cheap one a try in due time

Serious
Old April 24th 08, 05:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

clare at snyder dot ontario dot canada wrote:

Make yourself a CruzBike clone. Quite simple and cheap.

I will Google it but in mean time what is CruzBike
clone?

Links?
Old April 25th 08, 10:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
[email protected][_2_]

On Apr 24, 11:02*am, wrote:
Tom Sherman wrote:
I wish I could find a cheap one tho.... to try out and
make sure I like it and works for me.... before buying
a really good one

Well, you can probably find a decent used 'bent in the $400-500 US range.

You might be able to rent one from your LBS too. That'd probably be
the more economical way to go.

Good luck,
Cullen
Old April 26th 08, 05:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
TBerk

Make yourself a CruzBike clone. Quite simple and cheap.

Hey!, start your own thread. mumble, grumble damn hijackers....

TBerk
I kid, I keeed

New Commuter bike permajeo[_53_] UK 39 January 1st 08 12:01 AM
Converting mountain bike into commuter bike Javier Techniques 48 January 24th 07 10:52 PM
Looking for a new commuter/touring bike. Michael Erickson General 26 September 16th 05 07:18 PM
Commuter Bike Choice igloo General 3 January 9th 04 06:46 AM
Converting old mtb to commuter bike Yankee Bandit UK 5 September 1st 03 07:34 PM