Cyclist critically injured in Novato spill

Old November 9th 08, 11:12 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Mike Vandeman

Default Cyclist critically injured in Novato spill

Evolution in action!

Mike

Subject: today's IJ
Date: Sat, 8 Nov 2008 05:45:42 -0800

Cyclist critically injured in Novato spill

Gary Klien

A 51-year-old man was airlifted from Novato on Friday after suffering
head injuries in a mountain bike accident, a fire official said.

The incident occurred on Mount Burdell, where a witness found the man
on the ground, bleeding from the head, shortly before 11 a.m., said
Novato fire Capt. Bob Royer. The cyclist, who was wearing a helmet,
fell on a trail about a mile from the end of San Andreas Drive.

"On our arrival we found him critically injured," Royer said. "He was
unresponsive to us and unable to speak."

Firefighters summoned a medical helicopter, which landed on the
football field at San Marin High School to pick up the patient.
Students were confined indoors while the helicopter was in the area.

The man was flown to Santa Rosa Memorial Hospital. He remained in
critical condition Friday night, a nursing supervisor said.

The bicyclist's name and place of residence were unavailable.

Contact Gary Klien via e-mail at

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande