How to Shave your Trials Tire?

Old August 24th 07, 01:52 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
isaac steiner

Default How to Shave your Trials Tire?

Ive got a creepy crawler and its starting to get kinda worn so before
too long I want to shave it off to be like completly smooth.

Anyone know how?

Isaac

--
isaac steiner

*'Gallery' (http://tinyurl.com/y6mftb)*

'*Quax*' (http://www.qu-ax.com/)
http://www.usenet.com
Old August 24th 07, 03:27 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Borgschulze

agentQ wrote:
Use a razor blade to cut down the nubs as flush as you can get em. Then
use a sander(I used an orbital) to smooth it all down.

I'm going to have to do this soon, my tire is almost bald in the
center.. and I don't even ride hard...

--
Borgschulze

http://borgschulze.deviantart.com/
http://www.usenet.com
Old August 24th 07, 03:36 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Sponge

Isaac, Creepy Crawlers are pretty much the worst tyre you want to shave.
they have ridiculously thin walls, and you can you see it because
threads start appearing and tearing on the sidewalls.

the tyre's also ridiculously soft and has very thin sidewalls, making
it hardly the ideal street tyre as it will be rather 'flexy' in feel.
After shaving a CC, there will be a very thin and skinny feel about the
tyre's surfaces, which is why only thicker surfaced trials tyres are
suitable for slicking.

I recommend you try balding a Luna or Try-All, I've seen both of those
work fine. Luke Collalto's got a nicely balded Luna and that is
probably the best tyre to have slick as the compound is hard and the
sidewalls are stiff, which are excellent for a slick street tyre.

I advise you keep the CC as a backup trials tyre, because the
sidetreads still help grip on slanted surfaces.

meh, might as well try to save you from making a mistake

--
Sponge

MSN: feel free to add

*Quote Joe Hodges: "Bikes are made for trials, unis aren't."*

Our Koxx-One video to be released for FLUCK
http://www.usenet.com
Old August 24th 07, 03:44 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Triball

A question: What are the positive sides of shaving a tire anyways?

--
Triball
http://www.usenet.com
Old August 24th 07, 03:57 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
zfreak220

the ladies love the clean look.

--
zfreak220

Nimbus ISIS street fund: $371.71/$417.23
http://www.usenet.com
Old August 24th 07, 08:22 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
maximus unius

Sponge wrote:
and you can you see it because threads start appearing and tearing on
the sidewalls.

This is very true. I've never tried shaving a CC, but the sidewalls are
so thin that just the folding rubber from tire commpression wore away
parts of my sidewall so that you can see the threads underneath.

--
maximus unius

dunawan wrote:
usually always

http://www.usenet.com
Old August 24th 07, 11:01 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Jerrick

Hmm, my CC isnt showing any threads.

I have rode my CC for about a year, rotating the cranks so the tire
wears evenly, and now its all smooth all the way around it. I love the
way it feels.

I still ride it, and now im not noticing any wear on the tire at all,
so ill keep using it until it dies. And if I can use a tire for a year+
before buying a new one, then I am happy with that. lol

--
Jerrick

~*~!I ride for Christ, Fun, Challenges, and a lot
more!~*~
'!Gallery!' (http://tinyurl.com/gf2g9)
'!MRIS!' (http://tinyurl.com/jjjnz)
'Easy Tire Removal Guide.' (http://tinyurl.com/rd9ru)
My sponsor '~!SIXSIXONE!~' (http://sixsixone.com/)
http://www.usenet.com
Old August 25th 07, 01:29 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
DustinSchaap

You're such a queen Jerrick. I think a slick luna would be best. If you
are going to cut off the nobs make sure you dont accidently cut into
the tire

--
DustinSchaap

Dutch unicyclist community: 'Eenwiel.nl' (http://eenwiel.nl)
'Municycle.com' (http://www.einradladen.net/shop/index.php/language/en)

'Qu-Ax unicycles' (http://qu-ax.com/)
http://www.usenet.com
Old August 25th 07, 01:53 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Luke Collalto

Triball wrote:
A question: What are the positive sides of shaving a tire anyways?

It feels smoother to ride, to do tire gabs and it's lighter. The main
advantage is probably the look.

I love my bald luna, I've had it since around the start of the year.
Still no thread showing and I never really rotate it.

http://tinyurl.com/3cfq9l

--
Luke Collalto

'Videos'
(http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=TeamInsomnia)
'KHU' (http://www.krisholm.com)
'UDC Australia' (http://www.unicycle.au.com)

Stealth, is always in fashion.
http://www.usenet.com
Old August 25th 07, 09:51 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
BYZA

me and saam shaved his cc and it turned out ok.

used a stanley (utility) knife wth a new blade then used the grinder to
grind the nobs smooth, we didnt get it perfect smooth as we wanted to
go rideing but it turned out pretty super.

--
BYZA

improving each day
CRANKFLIP CHAMPION!! 1st place )---'O, Crankflip
latest vid Roll it, Roll it! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GB1nFn_OZx4

Street Dog (my older vid) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijM6vbhc5xs
thats my msn right there
http://www.usenet.com

How to Shave your Trials Tire? agentQ Unicycling 0 August 24th 07 02:05 PM
trials tire mawesome Unicycling 0 December 23rd 06 01:36 AM
3in. trials tire? mornish Unicycling 9 April 26th 06 01:08 PM
Trials Tire uni412 Unicycling 17 January 21st 05 05:36 AM
Tire For Trials On 24" pdc Unicycling 15 November 26th 04 04:54 PM