Q on ATAC pedals

Old December 21st 05, 11:12 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike

Default Q on ATAC pedals

Have a pair en route that don't come with cleats. They are for my SO who is
nervous about her SPDs in mud, she's had a bad fall when failing to unclip
in the past. When looking for the cleats, I see them advertised as varying
degrees of rotation, like "13/17" or "15/20".

My Q's are :
Do they really make ATAC cleats with different bevels to allow different
release thresholds? (I've just filed mine in the past for fine tuning.)
What variation on these would be best for someone who would rather release
sooner than later? Does a lower number = earlier release?

Tnx
Gary

Old December 21st 05, 11:24 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike

GWood wrote:
Have a pair en route that don't come with cleats. They are for my SO who is
nervous about her SPDs in mud, she's had a bad fall when failing to unclip
in the past. When looking for the cleats, I see them advertised as varying
degrees of rotation, like "13/17" or "15/20".

My Q's are :
Do they really make ATAC cleats with different bevels to allow different
release thresholds? (I've just filed mine in the past for fine tuning.)
What variation on these would be best for someone who would rather release
sooner than later? Does a lower number = earlier release?

Tnx
Gary

I have never seen any cleats other than the 13/17. If she's nervous
about unclipping, stay away from the 15/20! I have mine at 17 and it's
a 50/50 shot of coming unclipped in a fall. The 13 would be fine for
her unless she races.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws
Old December 21st 05, 11:48 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike

Tnx

Racing is not an issue. She's all about enjoying the ride and scenery. IMO
part of her issue with unclipping is that she sometimes gets so absorbed
with her surroundings she doesn't focus enough on the trail in front of her.
Hard to critique, tho - she sees so much more during a ride than I do. I
envy her ability to share focus. Guess it's a gender thing.

I'm just trying to ensure she gives clipless a fair chance before she pulls
the chute and goes back to clips.

Old December 22nd 05, 02:35 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike

Getting the SH-55 cleats for her current SPDs would have
been better/cheaper choice for her.

--
- Zilla
Cary, NC USA

Old December 22nd 05, 10:03 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike

You didn't ask b4 buying (considered mortal sin
by others here).

--
- Zilla
Cary, NC USA