Wanting feedback on Look KG361 with Centaur drivetrain, Vento wheels

Old October 27th 05, 07:34 PM
B.A.

Default Wanting feedback on Look KG361 with Centaur drivetrain, Vento wheels

Well said.

Neil Brooks for United States President!

"Neil Brooks" wrote in message
*snip*

That tacit acceptance of the worst in our characters is why useful
contributors are ceasing to contribute.

It's not that tough to be helpful. It's not that tough to refrain
from character assassination. It's not that tough to get past the
letter of the "rules" and abide by the spirit. It's not that tough to
overlook issues of style and address issues ot substance in peoples'
posts.

I'd rather try--and have others try--than to "wear as a badge of honor
the 'jungle' that Usenet is."

YMMV.
--
Live simply so that others may simply live

Old October 27th 05, 09:51 PM

Wow.

Next time I'll take my questions someplace else, where the kids play
nice together, and don't waste too much time getting sidetracked with
squabbles.

--M.

You're new here, aren't you?

Seriously, its really hard to say. I have 2003 Campy Chorus, which is
pretty similar to the '05 Centaur, and I think quite highly of it. It
works well, no fuss, no muss. As for the frame, my own belief is that
frame preference is highly personal and subjective, and there is always
an X-factor. I just bought a Merckx recently that I'd been lusting
after for years. Rides nice, but its brake bridge it too low for 25mm
tires, which wasn't the case with other bikes of that model.

My point is that if you can, ride it. Ride it as much as you can before
buying it. The Look frames are, by all accounts, very well crafted, 3
people on our team have them & quite like them. Instead of the campy
wheels, I'd probably have some wheels handmade by a reputable builder,
centaur hubs/velocity aerohead wheels, 32 spokes, just b/c they should
be more durable, but I haven't had any problems with my Campy Proton
wheels, either.

In short, it should be a fine bike, but whether it will be a FINE bike
won't be knowable until your posterior has checked it out itself.

HTH,
matt.

Old October 27th 05, 10:10 PM
Tom Kunich

I bought a Look KG241 off of the internet. I read a report that
compared the Time and the Look bikes and the Look was supposedly very
inferior to the Time. So I wasn't expecting much and just bought it
because it was cheap and because it would make a good winter beater.
The Look fork was missing and in it's place was an Easton EC70 fork.
I'm familiar with this and have talked about it here before as I put
one on my Colnago Super and it completely transformed the bike from a
scary riding pig into a great ride.

Well, the Look arrived and looked better than a new bike. The original
owner left in the BB, the Ultegra cranks, the headset and stem and the
Look seat post. I put it together with Dura Ace bar end shifters and
derailleurs and mostly medium grade components.

I've ridden it over 200 miles now and I've got to tell you that I
couldn't want a better riding bike. No discernable flex. No vibrations
or noises.

Going very fast on the bike it handles almost perfectly. I had to keep
looking down at the speedometer to believe that I was going 30 through
some chicanes. The bike was rock solid and felt like it was going 10
mph slower. At nearly 40 it still felt the same.

I assume that the rest of the Look bikes ride like this.

Old October 27th 05, 11:35 PM
Bill Sornson

Tom Kunich wrote:
[...]

{sarcams mode on}

Discussing a bike like this has no place in rec.bicycles.misc.

{sarcams mode off}

:-P

Old October 28th 05, 01:52 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo-www.vecchios.com

Marc Riehm wrote:
I'm looking for any comments that folks out there might have on a road
bike that I am considering purchasing.

It is a new Look KG361 with Centaur drivetrain and brakes. Likely it
will have Campy Vento wheels, although I may possibly upgrade to
Scirocco. Seatpost, handlebars, seat etc. should be "decent", according
to the vendor.

The price is ~2500 CAD (approx 2140 USD at current conversion rate).

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks, --Marc Riehm,

If it fits you, a good deal. We have sold a few of these and they are
nice riding frames. $1600 frame and fork so $2140US is a good deal.

Old October 28th 05, 01:56 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo-www.vecchios.com

John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:
On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 13:09:09 +0200, "Sandy" wrote:

Let's imagine he asked : "I want to race, and I heard a KG 361 is a good
race bike - what do you think?"

That's for rec.bicycles.tech.

He won't get stuck with useless information from people who figure that bars
should stand above saddles ...

The point is not what is best for one guy. It's what is best for the
groups as a whole. That's fundamental.

JT

Balderdahs...this is about 'BICYCLES' afterall, toys, not heart lung
machines or dialysis machines. BICYCLES....geeez, lighten up.

Old October 28th 05, 04:38 PM
Jasper Janssen

On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 14:45:05 GMT, Neil Brooks wrote:
Jasper Janssen wrote:

On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 06:18:47 -0400, Marc Riehm
wrote:

Next time I'll take my questions someplace else, where the kids play
nice together, and don't waste too much time getting sidetracked with
squabbles.

Then don't friggin come to usenet, a webforum, or for that matter the
internet.

Ol' Thomas Hoobs once described man as "poor, nasty, brutish, and
short."

Actually, that was *life*. Otherwise the 'short' makes no sense.

That tacit acceptance of the worst in our characters is why useful
contributors are ceasing to contribute.

It's not that tough to be helpful. It's not that tough to refrain
from character assassination. It's not that tough to get past the
letter of the "rules" and abide by the spirit. It's not that tough to
overlook issues of style and address issues ot substance in peoples'
posts.

Overlooking issues of style is what leads to the decay of particular
groups, in my experience. Topposting, lack of capitalisation, and other
style issues make a group hard to read, which is not a problem for someone
asking a siongle question but is a problem for regulars.

I'd rather try--and have others try--than to "wear as a badge of honor
the 'jungle' that Usenet is."

I didn't say any of what you're implying. What I *am* saying is that
'getting sidetracked with squabbles' is inherent in any threaded,
asynchronous forum like usenet.

Jasper
Old October 29th 05, 03:44 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

Bill Sornson wrote:
Qui si parla Campagnolo-www.vecchios.com wrote:
John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:
On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 13:09:09 +0200, "Sandy" wrote:

Let's imagine he asked : "I want to race, and I heard a KG 361 is a
good race bike - what do you think?"

That's for rec.bicycles.tech.

He won't get stuck with useless information from people who figure
that bars should stand above saddles ...

The point is not what is best for one guy. It's what is best for the
groups as a whole. That's fundamental.

JT

Balderdahs...this is about 'BICYCLES' afterall, toys, not heart lung
machines or dialysis machines. BICYCLES....geeez, lighten up.

TYVM.

"TYVM"???

Toys You Value...Men!!!(?)

Old October 29th 05, 05:09 PM
Jasper Janssen

On 29 Oct 2005 07:44:31 -0700, "Qui si parla Campagnolo"
wrote:
Bill Sornson wrote:

TYVM.

"TYVM"???