So we bought the tandem

Old May 1st 04, 11:13 PM
Bernie

Default Shop Tale

David Kerber wrote:

I'm not sure I've ever seen the eyes on the snails I've eaten.

-Luigi

They saw you though!
ps: I bought a Fuji Touring

Congratulations; I bet you'll love it! (That's what I have, too).

I love the shifters (Shimano Tiagra - part of the brake levers)
Definitely need to change the toe clips to toe cups - hey, not starting
a war! it's just personal preference.

Old May 2nd 04, 12:05 AM
David Kerber

In article , bmcilvan@mouse-
potato.com says...

David Kerber wrote:

I'm not sure I've ever seen the eyes on the snails I've eaten.

-Luigi

They saw you though!
ps: I bought a Fuji Touring

Congratulations; I bet you'll love it! (That's what I have, too).

I love the shifters (Shimano Tiagra - part of the brake levers)

Yep; Integrated shifters was the main thing which sold me on the Fuji
over the Trek 520.

Definitely need to change the toe clips to toe cups - hey, not starting
a war! it's just personal preference.

I've never tried toe cups, but clips are a whole lot better than the
bare flat pedals I rode for many many years.

--
Dave Kerber
Fight spam: remove the ns_ from the return address before replying!

Old May 2nd 04, 05:06 AM
Bernie

David Kerber wrote:

They saw you though!
ps: I bought a Fuji Touring

Congratulations; I bet you'll love it! (That's what I have, too).

I love the shifters (Shimano Tiagra - part of the brake levers)

Yep; Integrated shifters was the main thing which sold me on the Fuji
over the Trek 520.

Definitely need to change the toe clips to toe cups - hey, not starting
a war! it's just personal preference.

I've never tried toe cups, but clips are a whole lot better than the
bare flat pedals I rode for many many years.

Amen to that! About two fast crossings over RR tracks while spinning
fast (years ago) convinced me of the need for more control of the feet.
Anything is better than nothing, including the mtn bike flats with the
little pins that literally sink into the shoe sole and grab. IMHO, that is.
Bernie

Old May 3rd 04, 07:08 AM
LioNiNoiL_a t_NetscapE_D 0 T_NeT

Someone, I know, is going to reply to this saying that I should
do my own work. My response: you don't have to take up gynacology
to enjoy sex, and you don't have to take up wrenching to enjoy
bicycling. It's not something I enjoy.

Me neither. I've always loved being on the bike, and disliked doing
repairs; but as long as the local know-it-all bike-shop gurus continue
to disappoint me, I'll be forced to do my own shop work by my simple
desire to have reliable commuting bikes and touring bikes, neither of
which species the gurus appear to give a damn about.

Old May 3rd 04, 03:48 PM
Rick Onanian

On Sat, 01 May 2004 21:06:20 -0700, Bernie
wrote:

Amen to that! About two fast crossings over RR tracks while spinning
fast (years ago) convinced me of the need for more control of the feet.

Have you considered coasting over RR crossings?
--
Rick Onanian

Old May 6th 04, 08:01 PM
dan baker

Default So we bought the tandem

"Claire Petersky" wrote in message news:bZ_ic.36397$_L6.2096805@attbi_s53...

Notes:
o My husband's used to riding at a higher cadence than me. Maybe it's just
as well I get used to that.

-------------
probably.... you'll be a little more efficient and suffer less lactic
acid with a 95-ish cadence thatn 85-ish. The other thing is you'll get
used to predicting when the captain will shift to maintain cadence.

o He'll eventually learn to warn me when he decides he's going to coast, or
suddenly start pedaling again. Especially since the suddenly start pedaling
again thing could have potentially damaging consequences to my crotch.

-----------
crotch preservation is a strong persuader for husbands. definitely a
learning curve to either verbally or through "feel" start/stop
pedalling.

o Our speed was totally kick ass. ....Maybe we'll
eventually buy a computer for it.

----------
you may want to. its fun to enjoy the speed, but also if you have
"flight-deck compatible" STI shifters hooked to a flight-deck
computer, the captain has see what gear you are in.

o It's easier for me to reach the water bottle when tucked into his back
jersey pocket than on the bike. Maybe after we both feel more confident on
the thing, we can reach down for waterbottles, but we're not quite there
yet.

camelsbacks are good too.
I find waterbottles hard to get at in our frame, even after a lot of
practice.

Old May 6th 04, 08:05 PM
dan baker

I'll let you know. My fiancee and I are going to rent a tandem bike
while on our honeymoon. If that isn't the truest test of marriage I
don't know what is (or will be).

a tandem will take the direction your relationship is going.... faster.