So we bought the tandem

Old April 27th 04, 03:05 AM
Claire Petersky

Default So we bought the tandem

"Dane Jackson" wrote in message
Jacques Moser wrote:

Is the husband *always* captain ? I understand it conforms to the usage

of
the male more often driving the car or assuming (apparent)

leadership,...
But I am still surprised to see that in practically all reports I read

on
tandeming there is practically none where the husband is stoker and the
wife captain.

I have several orders of magnitude
more time on the bicycle than she does, etc. It would be basically be
unsafe for her to captain our tandem.

This is not the case for us, though, where I ride just about every day, and
my husband rides a couple of times a week.

But tandeming brings up all sorts of issues regarding power and control. I'd
rather cede to him the right to tandem, as long as, when it comes to
completing the Sunday crossword, I get to hold the puzzle, and the pen.

Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
Home of the meditative cyclist:

Old April 27th 04, 03:11 AM
Claire Petersky

"Karen M." wrote in message
om...
Claire wrote:
o My husband's used to riding at a higher cadence than me. Maybe it's

just
as well I get used to that.

Cadence=aerobics. Not all bad.

Yup, which is why I say, just as well.

o He'll eventually learn to warn me when he decides he's going to coast,

or
suddenly start pedaling again. Especially since the suddenly start

pedaling
again thing could have potentially damaging consequences to my crotch.

As they say in day care centers, "use your words." A few times of
shrieking in his ear will learn him right quick.

He also has a vested interest in the health of my crotch.

o I'm close enough to him to *smell* him. And this was on only a 15 mile
thing largely in the late afternoon shade. Makes me wonder if we'll

really
do the Flying Wheels Century together on that thing. He'll be pretty

ripe on
a summer's day after a hundred miles.

Baby wipes, no beans.

Oh girlfriend, you don't even begin to know. He is one of the windiest
persons I've ever had the priviledge to spend major portions of time with.
The joke is that it helps propel the bike, action and equal and opposite
reaction, and all that, but I'm not so sure.

Stuff the cue sheets in there too, or get a hunter's license holder
for the back of his jersey. Captains are good for more than just
driving.

I"ve seen stokers with cameras, taking pictures as the team glides along.
Maybe I should stuff a novel back there?

so what kind is it? Photos???

It's an Erickson, custom-built, and pretty as all get-out. Maybe I should
get a digital camera one day.

Old April 27th 04, 03:57 AM
Rick Onanian

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 02:11:58 GMT, "Claire Petersky"
wrote:
He is one of the windiest
persons I've ever had the priviledge to spend major portions of time with.
The joke is that it helps propel the bike, action and equal and opposite
reaction, and all that, but I'm not so sure.

Actually, it causes a larger (unequal) reaction; in addition to
direct propulsion, it causes the stoker to supply more power in
hopes of riding more quickly away from the soiled air.
--
Rick "Theory, anybody?" Onanian
Old April 27th 04, 04:00 AM
Rick Onanian

On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 16:39:15 -0700, Dane Jackson
wrote:
I'm really hating the speedo that came with the tandem. It doesn't do
automatic stop/start, which all the others I have do. Our speeds are

What model? So many appear to not offer that feature, but really
have it hidden away somewhere.
--
Rick Onanian
Old April 27th 04, 04:17 AM
Mike Kruger

"Claire Petersky" wrote in message

o Amusingly, I can literally kiss his ass, especially on downhills in a
tuck. Heh.

About time for somebody to chime in about the advantages of a recumbent
tandem.

o It's easier for me to reach the water bottle when tucked into his back
jersey pocket than on the bike.

Could also put a can of air freshener in here.

Old April 27th 04, 04:21 AM
Frank Krygowski

Karen M. wrote:

...I am the world's best captain myself at
notification of road surface and so forth.

And if you ever forget to call a bump ahead, at least remember to call
"bump back."

By the way, this is a good time to check out the poem "Shovelin' Coal"
at http://www.bicyclinglife.com/NewsAnd...BikePoetry.htm

--
-------------
replace with cc.ysu dot edu]

Old April 27th 04, 04:26 AM
Frank Krygowski

Claire Petersky wrote:

I"ve seen stokers with cameras, taking pictures as the team glides along.
Maybe I should stuff a novel back there?

My daughter regularly stowed small-format Archie comic books back there.
And yes, she'd read while we rode.

I didn't mind that. I did mind her singing on the uphills, though.
Dad's lungs would be bursting, his heart pounding through his chest, and
she'd be singing.

In her defense, she's _finally_ gotten to be a decent hill climber - but
she's a truly wonderful singer!

--
-------------
replace with cc.ysu dot edu]

Old April 27th 04, 04:30 AM
Roger Zoul

Claire Petersky wrote:
:: "Roger Zoul" wrote in message
:: ...
:::::: Get a computer, cheapo!
::
:: Since we had ownership of the bicycle for less than 24 hours, you
:: may want to excuse us for not having installed every component we
:: would like the bike to have.

Naw, take your time. It was your notion, anyway. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

::
::: That's not a flame, it was suggestion, jackass!
::
:: My, my, such language. And in mixed company, too.

Hey, I just used the same word in reply that was used to me...

::
:: I appreciate AustinMN chivalrously standing up for me, but really,
:: there was no offence taken.
::
::
:: Warm Regards,
::
:: Claire Petersky
:: Please replace earthlink for mouse-potato and .net for .com
:: Home of the meditative cyclist:
:: http://home.earthlink.net/~cpetersky/Welcome.htm
:: See the books I've set free at:
:: http://bookcrossing.com/referral/Cpetersky

Old April 27th 04, 04:59 AM
Eric S. Sande

...when it comes to completing the Sunday crossword, I get to hold the
puzzle, and the pen.

Hah, I had you figured for a crossword enthusiast, and a pen user.

Easy to tell that you know who Peer Gynt's mother was and how much
MCLV by II is.

:-)

--

_______________________ALL AMIGA IN MY MIND_______________________
------------------"Buddy Holly, the Texas Elvis"------------------
Old April 27th 04, 05:03 AM
AustinMN

wrote:
He is one of the windiest
persons I've ever had the priviledge to spend major portions of time

with.
The joke is that it helps propel the bike, action and equal and opposite
reaction, and all that, but I'm not so sure.

Actually, it causes a larger (unequal) reaction; in addition to
direct propulsion, it causes the stoker to supply more power in
hopes of riding more quickly away from the soiled air.

That is, until the stoker actually passes out from the gas, becoming 'dead'
weight on what is now a very heavy single with an unresponsive pair of legs
clipped to the drive train.

Austin