pads/freestyle/trails/muni

Old September 1st 03, 05:59 PM
thinuniking

Default pads/freestyle/trails/muni

what are the advantages to having a freestyle unicycle. i have a trails
although i am still trying to get in to that i can do a few simple
tricks on it. is it easier to do them on a free style uni also i really
hate peddle bites i have some wellgo's and they have wrecked my legs but
they are grippy. so i had kept them and still have them now as i know
all grippy peddles wreck your legs so i looked at protection and namely
the shin plus knee pads(they are called 6,6,1 on unicycle.uk.com) in one
but they are around £40 plus pp so are they really worth it?
i did want to get in to muni a i have done a little on my trails uni but
it is hard even on mild paths so i was thinking of getting a muni
a numbus 2 26" how good are they?would it be worth getting the pads if i
am starting muni?

--
thinuniking - started trails unicycling

i have given up the wheel to live
thinuniking's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4294

Old September 1st 03, 06:28 PM
paco

There are cheaper alternatives to the 661's.
I've got a set of leg armor from "Fox Racing." I don't know how
expensive they are (Thank you Moab MUniFest!), and all they cover are my
shins and my knees, but they have kept me from hashing up my legs a
number of times.
If you don't get leg armor for any other reason, get them because they
make you a little braver and more willing to try some crazy stuff.
You'll become a better unicyclist almost immediately.

--
paco - Creator of the "BUni"

If you attempt to fail, and succeed, which one did you really do?
paco's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3715

Old September 1st 03, 07:16 PM
gingerfreek

http://tinyurl.com/lvlr

a great deal on 661 leg armour - £25 for leg or £35 for leg and
arm!!!!!

someone posted this link a few weeks ago.

i'm cashing in on this deal soon

iain

--
gingerfreek - unicyclist of mass destruction.

I use my wheel as a weapon!
gingerfreek's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3507

Old September 1st 03, 11:16 PM
Klaas Bil

When you say you have a 'trails' do you mean 'trials'?

Yes, for trials and/or MUni with pinned pedals it is absolutely worth
it to have shin (and knee) protection! I have the 661's (so-called
4x4) and they are OK but I can't compare them to Roach or other
brands.

As a side note, there have been heated debates here about the use/need
for a helmet during MUni and trials. My personal stance is that a
cycling helmet is priority number ONE in protective gear.

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
--
I go a sort of ok speed on my Coker... - Roger Davies

Old September 2nd 03, 09:38 PM
manic_mark

the 661 deal is fantastic, i posted the link a while back, i too will be
using the deal as soon as i get the cash, the 661 pads are supposedly
very good.

I bought some cheaper pads a while back, azonic pads that were £16-£17
and they were ok if wearing pants, but there was no strap aroung the
knee, so they could slip down and shorts were a complete no-no.

--
manic_mark - level 3, most of the time

lever (dot) mark (at) ntlworld (dot) com
manic_mark's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1592

Old September 3rd 03, 09:14 AM
thinuniking

thanks for your help but do the 4x4 things affect your riding??
please can someone reply today as i want to cash in on the deal as so as
i can help

Old September 3rd 03, 12:24 PM
Rowan

johnfoss wrote:
*You can't have much fun riding trails on a freestyle uni though. *

I disagree with this statement. I think John has too many Unicycles to
remember how much fun you can have with only one or two. For years I
have ridden everywhere including trails and tracks on a
freestyle/nostyle crappy CycleDesign unicycle. It does not compare to a
MUni, but having never ridden a MUni it was comparitively fun to ride,
rather than using a bicycle or walking. The nasty seat provided plenty
of discomfort, the hard tire did not absorb bumps effectively, but the
fun still came in abundance and gave me something to do while saving for
a MUni. I admit there were low points where the fun dried up, for
example bending cranks, tacoing the rim, and bending (eventually
breaking) the axle. You have fun while breaking it but afterwards it is
less fun riding on something that is lopsided and out of sync. John is
right, MUnicycles are a lot of fun on trails, but don't let that stop
you from riding offroad on whatever unicycles you have.

If you are considering getting a MUni, do not rule out the possibility
of a 24x3". They have the same outer diameter as a small 26", weigh less
and are more manouvreable than a 26x3", and are stronger and less likely
to taco than a larger rim. I had my heart set on getting a 26" MUni but
ended up getting 24x3" and I am glad there is no more weight in the
tire. The pads are your own choice, you can get away without them if you
don't mind a few holes in your shins.

--
Rowan - •·.·´¯`·.·•
Rowan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3772

Old September 3rd 03, 02:13 PM
thinuniking

i feel the same way i can do some muni on my trials uni but i think to
get in to it more you need a munii am ordering the armor to night.
about munis what is the best size(24"-26") to go for this is a hard
question i know as both have advantages and disadvantages could you list
them.
also i saw john in universe that was some good stuff!!

Old September 6th 03, 08:52 PM
thinuniking

got the pads today they are a little strange.i must say the staff member
i tried to get info from was useless.i asked him about sizing i ment in
age range
staff"err the small pads are for thin legs and the large ones for fatter
legs but they are normally quite big"
that was helpfull was it not??!!?