Fat Tired Track Bikes

Old December 14th 07, 08:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Pilgrim

Default Fat Tired Track Bikes

On Dec 14, 10:00 am, Anthony DeLorenzo
wrote:
On Dec 13, 5:45 pm, Pilgrim wrote:

Basically, I want a frame with road geometry, and fat 26" tires. Maybe
something like a Surly Steamroller since it's chainstays say "Fatties
Fit Fine". Assuming I use shorter cranks to compensate for the lowered
BB, would a rig like that be a good idea?

If you ride a small-size frame (42-54 cm) the Surly Long Haul Trucker
is set up for 26" wheels and will take up to a 2.1" tire with fenders.
Otherwise, I would say go with a Crosscheck and run 700C tires, it
will take 40-42 no problem.

I don't think you'd want to use the Steamroller for commuting. It's a
pretty specialized track frame with no braze-ons at all -- making it
more difficult to use things like gears, brakes, racks, fenders...
Plus, I can't imagine that the bike would be comfortable or handle
well with the smaller wheels.

If you're totally set on 26" wheels, and you can't use the small Long
Haul Trucker, then go with a mountain bike frame. Like others have
said, the old mountain bikes pretty much had road geometry anyways.

Regards,
Anthony

Good point about the braze-ons, but I forgot to mention that I'm using
a Nexus-7 internal gear hub with coaster brake, and a sturmey archer
dyno/drum for the front. I've also got 36h Sun Rhyno-Lite rims, and
2.2" Halo Twin Rail tires. So I don't need braze-ons for brakes,
hangers for dérailleurs or even cable housing really since the cables
are never exposed. That's really why the Steamroller appeals to me.
It's just a bare-bones cheap steel roadbike frame with no frills.

What you said about it's handling is really what's concerning me most,
and probably what I should have asked to begin with. I'm tall, so I'll
probably need a 60"-62" frame. Pretty tall standover, but my 34"
inseam can handle it. Is that gonna handle absolutely funky, and why?

Fat Tired Track Bikes Pilgrim Techniques 0 December 14th 07 08:09 PM
Fat Tired Track Bikes Pilgrim Techniques 10 December 14th 07 07:00 PM
Track bikes D.M. Procida UK 9 October 19th 07 08:21 PM
UCI Track Racing Bikes Kazu Australia 69 June 4th 04 03:25 PM
For Hippy - Track Bikes NickZX6R Australia 12 September 22nd 03 12:03 AM