randonneur

Old May 27th 18, 04:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tim McNamara

Default randonneur

On Fri, 25 May 2018 22:24:14 +0200, Emanuel Berg
wrote:
jbeattie writes:

Touring bikes are common as fleas. Even the Trek 520 fits the bill.
https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b...olorCode=black
Up to 44C without mudguards. You would have to add CX levers and a
dyno light.

Great only too expensive, especially compared to the Fuji and in
particular the amount of money in my wallet.

Why do they do randonneurs with 32 tires anyway?!

Comfort, for one thing. The standard brevet lengths are 200, 300, 400,
600, 1000 and 1200 km. All with time limits, checkpoints, etc. The
extra comfort afforded by the larger tires becomes very helpful after 8,
10, 50 hours in the saddle.

Pinch flat protection, for another thing. Middle of the night, middle
of nowhere, fatigue, not reacting to that pothole or pavement seam in
time...
Old May 27th 18, 04:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 5/26/2018 6:44 PM, wrote:
On Saturday, May 26, 2018 at 4:39:50 PM UTC-5, jbeattie wrote:
On Saturday, May 26, 2018 at 1:24:10 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:

Going coast to coast, I think I carried 40 pounds on my bike. But some of that
was stuff I carried for my ladies. It also included that backpacking stove
and food, which in retrospect was silly. They have restaurants.

- Frank Krygowski

When I hit the heat on the other side of the Rockies (going east), I mailed half of my gear back home -- including my rain gear. You don't need it for the Mid-West, mid-day deluge. Nothing will prevent you from getting soaked, but then you dry out in about ten minutes. My stove went back, too. It was too hot to cook.

-- Jay Beattie.

In all of my loaded touring I have never used a stove or cooked my own food. Too simple for the past 25 years to just eat in restaurants or buy food already to eat. Gas stations, convenience stores, grocery stores all have food ready to eat. No need to cook raw food on a bicycle trip. At worst just carry a can opener and buy a can of chicken breast or tuna and a couple cans of pork and beans. Tasty meal. Add some bread and raw fruit and you have a feast.

I'm not a cook, but I'd often take the backpacking stove and some simple
boil-and-eat food just in case I was nowhere near a restaurant.

Many years ago, I rode across Ohio west to east (following the Cardinal
Trail) with an older retired friend. We carried no food. Now in the
busiest times, rural western Ohio has very few places serving food; but
this was Labor Day, and we kept finding the few restaurants were closed.

One place that was open was a VFW hall - that is, Veterans of Foreign
Wars. I told my friend "Hey, you can get us in there! You're a veteran
of World War II!" And he really was. Trouble was, he fought for the
other side!

He had been captured and taken to New York State as a prisoner of war. I
think it's to our country's credit that he was treated well enough that
he decided to return and live in America after the war.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

On another cross-Ohio solo trip, I came up with what I thought was a
brilliant solution for emergency food. Instead of a backpacking stove, I
threw in one of those plug-in immersion heaters, the kind used to heat
cups of coffee. And I threw in a freeze dried backpacking meal.

Sure enough, in western Ohio I was out of daylight and camped at a state
park. I got a site with electricity, poured water into the food's foil
pack and heated it with the immersion heater. Not gourmet fare, but
plenty tasty enough, and very light weight!

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old May 27th 18, 08:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

"
writes:

Too expensive??? The cross brake levers

Ralph's bike.

--
underground experts exiled
Old May 27th 18, 08:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

Tim McNamara writes:

Great only too expensive, especially compared to
the Fuji and in particular the amount of money in
my wallet. Why do they do randonneurs with 32 tires
anyway?!

Comfort, for one thing. The standard brevet lengths
are 200, 300, 400, 600, 1000 and 1200 km. All with
time limits, checkpoints, etc. The extra comfort
afforded by the larger tires becomes very helpful
after 8, 10, 50 hours in the saddle.

Ha ha Definitely. But why not 40 or 47 tires then?
They are not that much slower/heavier or less aero
than 32 and even more comfortable. Especially with
a loaded bike I think 32 is too thin. But if that's
the way it is I'm not letting it stop me from going,
of course.

--
underground experts exiled
Old May 27th 18, 09:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sepp Ruf

Radey Shouman wrote:
jbeattie writes:

Shockingly, the vaunted Koga signature World Traveler is made out of
6061 like my old Cannondale T1000. That was a great touring bike,
although it wouldn't fit giant tires -- but I never wanted giant
tires. That article draws interesting distinctions between true
touring bikes and randonettes, which, according to Tim, should be the

Randonneuse. "Randonette" sounds like something Harvey Weinstein would
think up

To the uninitiated, err... non cycle-touring public, a public ad
"Looking to buy a randonneuse for personal use, will pay $$$$Amount" already
looks at least as "suspicious" as a forgotten backpack in Milwaukee.
Old May 27th 18, 10:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

Sepp Ruf writes:

To the uninitiated, err... non cycle-touring public,
a public ad "Looking to buy a randonneuse for
personal use, will pay $$$$Amount" already looks at
least as "suspicious" as a forgotten backpack
in Milwaukee.

Very clever!

But regardless of whatever, I've read "randonneur" in
at least two books by now and it is also the name
(part of the name) of the bike mentioned in the
original post, "TX-Randonneur Shimano 105 30-Speed". [1]

[1] https://www.fahrradmanufaktur.de/en/...andonneur-2017

--
underground experts exiled
Old May 27th 18, 11:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sepp Ruf

Emanuel Berg wrote:

[rando-???]

But regardless of whatever, I've read "randonneur" in
at least two books by now and it is also the name
(part of the name) of the bike mentioned in the
original post, "TX-Randonneur Shimano 105 30-Speed". [1]

[1] https://www.fahrradmanufaktur.de/en/...andonneur-2017

Well, they also equip it with the special Shimano "HALLOWtech" component.

Scientifically conducted Ebay statistics show that only French (Motobecane)
bikes will be called randonneuse in Fahrradmanufaktur-land:

https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-randonneur/k0
vs.
https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-randonneuse/k0

--
-esse, from Old French -ece, from Latin -itiam, the accusative of -itia.
Suffix used to form nouns describing the condition of being something
Old May 27th 18, 12:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

Ralph Barone writes:

36 spoke wheels

The Fuji bike also has 36 spoke wheels, or as they put
it, it has

Vera Terra DPM18, double wall, 36/36h, Shimano
Deore hubs [1]

That sounds straightforward only why do they say "36"
twice? To say there are 36 holes on the hub as well?
Makes sense, right?

OTOH the VSF has

Exal MX19, Aluminium hollow section rim, double
eyed [2]

What does hollow section rim mean? The same as double
wall? And what is double eyed? The position of the
holes are not in the middle of the rim but one
a little to the left, the other a little to the right?
But aren't all rims that way nowadays? Or am I wrong?

The rim cross sections I can find in my books are the
V-section, the box section, the sprint, and the
"aero-sprint" (look like the sprint only a V-shape to
the south and north).

I take it from the illos the V-section and box section
are double walled?

[1] http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/s.../rp-prod166407
[2] https://www.fahrradmanufaktur.de/en/...andonneur-2017

--
underground experts exiled
Old May 27th 18, 12:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

The Fuji bike also has 36 spoke wheels, or as they put
it, it has

Vera Terra DPM18, double wall, 36/36h, Shimano
Deore hubs [1]

That sounds straightforward only why do they say "36"
twice? To say there are 36 holes on the hub as well?
Makes sense, right?

Or do they mean the front/rear wheel?

Perhaps someone got the idea to reinforce the rear
wheel with more spokes than the front ditto, e.g.
to have 36 rear and 32 front (or 28/32). Then you
could write the bike has 32/36h rims - practical!

Perhaps for randonneuring/heavy touring one would even
want 40 or 48 spokes on the rear wheel?

--
underground experts exiled
Old May 27th 18, 02:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 5/27/2018 6:52 AM, Emanuel Berg wrote:

The Fuji bike also has 36 spoke wheels, or as they put
it, it has

Vera Terra DPM18, double wall, 36/36h, Shimano
Deore hubs [1]

That sounds straightforward only why do they say "36"
twice? To say there are 36 holes on the hub as well?
Makes sense, right?

Or do they mean the front/rear wheel?

Perhaps someone got the idea to reinforce the rear
wheel with more spokes than the front ditto, e.g.
to have 36 rear and 32 front (or 28/32). Then you
could write the bike has 32/36h rims - practical!

Perhaps for randonneuring/heavy touring one would even
want 40 or 48 spokes on the rear wheel?

Back when the Earth was young, The Ancients discovered that
32h front/40h rear is as close to perfect as one might
imagine. Adds some niggling cost and therefore abandoned.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/