Frame upgrade

Old January 2nd 06, 07:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Frame upgrade

This may sound like a stupid question but I've been back on my road
bike for about five months now and I'm wondering what reasons would
justify a new frame and fork purchase? Not like I'm going to replace my
new road bike any time soon, it should last me many, many years. I'm
just wondering what criteria most serious riders use when deciding to
drop some hard earned cash on a new frame and fork? To be honest if it
were in my budget I would have picked up a trek 5200 or Cervelo R3 but
my budget wouldn't stretch that far at the time.

Javier

Old January 2nd 06, 07:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Javier wrote:
This may sound like a stupid question but I've been back on my road
bike for about five months now and I'm wondering what reasons would
justify a new frame and fork purchase? Not like I'm going to replace my
new road bike any time soon, it should last me many, many years. I'm
just wondering what criteria most serious riders use when deciding to
drop some hard earned cash on a new frame and fork? To be honest if it
were in my budget I would have picked up a trek 5200 or Cervelo R3 but
my budget wouldn't stretch that far at the time.

Javier

Mostly the 'feel good' factor or when it's broken.

Lou
--
Posted by news://news.nb.nu
Old January 2nd 06, 08:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

"Javier" wrote:
This may sound like a stupid question but I've been back on my road
bike for about five months now and I'm wondering what reasons would
justify a new frame and fork purchase?

Probably no good reason. The main criteria for a frame are proper fit, and
suitable geometry, handling, and tire clearance for the type of riding you
do. Saving a pound or two isn't going to make much difference, nor will
exotic materials.

Ride you bike and enjoy it!

To be honest if it
were in my budget I would have picked up a trek 5200 or Cervelo R3

Why? What would those bikes do that your (un-named) bike won't?

Art Harris

Old January 2nd 06, 08:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

The frame I had did not suit my needs. I was using a race-inspired bike as a
commuter, but it didn't have clearance for fatter tires, nor did it have
rack and fender eyelets. So, I built up another bike that is more
appropriate. I still have the racer, though.

Old January 2nd 06, 08:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Javier wrote:
This may sound like a stupid question but I've been back on my road
bike for about five months now and I'm wondering what reasons would
justify a new frame and fork purchase? Not like I'm going to replace my
new road bike any time soon, it should last me many, many years. I'm
just wondering what criteria most serious riders use when deciding to
drop some hard earned cash on a new frame and fork? To be honest if it
were in my budget I would have picked up a trek 5200 or Cervelo R3 but
my budget wouldn't stretch that far at the time.

I'll ride a road frame and fork forever, wheels, too, as long as they're
structurally sound. For full suspension mtn bikes after pivots and
bushings start getting sloppy and a new interesting design comes out
I'll start thinking about a new frame and/or fork.

Greg
--
"All my time I spent in heaven
Revelries of dance and wine
Old January 2nd 06, 10:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On 2 Jan 2006 10:30:19 -0800, "Javier" wrote:

This may sound like a stupid question but I've been back on my road
bike for about five months now and I'm wondering what reasons would
justify a new frame and fork purchase? Not like I'm going to replace my
new road bike any time soon, it should last me many, many years. I'm
just wondering what criteria most serious riders use when deciding to
drop some hard earned cash on a new frame and fork? To be honest if it
were in my budget I would have picked up a trek 5200 or Cervelo R3 but
my budget wouldn't stretch that far at the time.

"I want it, I want it, I want it! Moooooom!"

Jasper
Old January 2nd 06, 11:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Hey Art,

I plan on enjoying my bike as much as possible once the season starts
again. I purchased it in late August so now I'm on my trainer six days
per week. As soon as the weather breaks I'm hitting the road.
Espaically since I get out of work at 3PM from July to September.

Old January 2nd 06, 11:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

I love my 2006 Trek 1200, besides the saddle it's stock and rides
great. It's gotten lighter since I lost nearly 40 pounds since I got
it.

The reason I asked about frame upgrades is because I keep hearing how
much better carbon is than aluminum so I'm wondering if I should have
some how squeezed out the extra cash for an all carbon bike. I spoke
with one guy and he said that when he switched from his 1200 to a
carbon 5200 he immediately felt like he could ride longer and doing
centuries without a problem. I don't know how much of that was in his
head, but I also don't know of anyone that will lend me a carbon bike
for a weekend or two so I can compare the ride.

Old January 2nd 06, 11:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

I have to wait until my wife isn't looking...

Old January 3rd 06, 12:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On 2 Jan 2006 10:30:19 -0800, "Javier" wrote:

This may sound like a stupid question but I've been back on my road
bike for about five months now and I'm wondering what reasons would
justify a new frame and fork purchase? Not like I'm going to replace my
new road bike any time soon, it should last me many, many years. I'm
just wondering what criteria most serious riders use when deciding to
drop some hard earned cash on a new frame and fork? To be honest if it
were in my budget I would have picked up a trek 5200 or Cervelo R3 but
my budget wouldn't stretch that far at the time.

The first step in answering this question is defining the goals of
your riding. Information about what you are currently riding is
essential too.

JT

Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com